Wheel push-ups

Options
Hi all

I'm currently in my last week of BR (woohoo!) and I'm having really difficulties with the wheel push-ups in Workout 12. I can get my hands by my head but can't seem to get my head off the floor, never mind do the push-up - either on two feet or one! Has anyone else struggled with this? I remember I used to be able to do these years ago when I was a kid but I just can't seem to do it. Does anyone have any tips/advice?

Replies

• ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how but I actually seem to be able to do these :noway:

Maybe just try holding the position you can reach for as long as you can? Work towards just pushing your head up for a little bit then coming back down? I'm pretty sure everybody hates these!

It helps me to start on the floor with my heels right up against my butt. If my heels are too far away I can't do it. Also spreading your legs a bit further apart makes it easier. Not sure what else to suggest. There are a few people in the video who can't do it at all so that's heartening!

Also congratulations on getting to your last week! Amazing!
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hmm, maybe I do have my feet too far away - I'll try bringing them in a bit further next time I try them! It's really frustrating but it is quite reassuring that a lot of them are struggling with it too! Hopefully I'll have cracked it by the time I get to them in my second round in the new year.

Thanks!
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Let me know it goes! A second round will be awesome because you'll be able to do so much more than you could the first time around. I'm thinking about doing a second round too.
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can't do wheel push-ups either! But it's not because I don't have the strength. It's because I lack flexibility. My spine is so stiff it barely bends when I get in the wheel position. As a result, I can barely get my palms all the way flat on the floor behind my head. My range of motion is already maxed out just holding the position with the top of my head on the ground. I can try to push up all I want, but nothing will move because I just don't have the range of motion to get my head off the ground.

OP, since you could do these when you were younger, it's probably a flexibility issue for you, too. I love the JMBR program, but one thing it lacks is flexibility training. After I finish this round next week, I'm going to incorporate yoga/stretching days into my workout rotation. In the meantime, I'm throwing in a little yoga here and there when I can. I'll bet we will be able to do these wheels with some more flexibility in our backs.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was never able to do them. I had problems getting off my head and I just lifted my head up so I was at least holding some weight on my arms. I could lift off my finger tips but I could not with my palms flat. Hopefully next time I will be stronger and more flexible!
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

OP, since you could do these when you were younger, it's probably a flexibility issue for you, too. I love the JMBR program, but one thing it lacks is flexibility training. After I finish this round next week, I'm going to incorporate yoga/stretching days into my workout rotation. In the meantime, I'm throwing in a little yoga here and there when I can. I'll bet we will be able to do these wheels with some more flexibility in our backs.

I think you might be right, I'm not the most flexible person in the world (but then neither is Jillian!). I'm planning on doing her yoga workout once a week before starting BR in the new year so it'll be interesting to see if that helps.