Just started C25k!!

Options
Bluizflame
Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
So, I just started this a couple days ago. I'm only on w1d3. But, i'm loving it so far!

I'm guessing as i get further into the program it will last longer than 30 min? I'm doing it on a treadmill, my "brisk walk" is at a 3.5 and my run is at a 5. Does that sound about right? Or should my run be faster?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    You should run at a pace you are comfortable with. As you move to later weeks, you might have to slow down.

Are you doing a timed version, or a distance version? I used a distance version and the running time was longer because I was running slow. I think most timed versions only lead to a 30 minute run.

Congrats on getting started!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you do a timed version, the run/walk session will usually be 30 minutes, but the warm/up cool down may add another 10 minutes.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm glad that you're enjoying the program. Trust it. It works.

If you're doing the timed version, it's unlikely that you'll be running 5K at the end of the program. That will be a goal for you afterwards and you'll reach it quickly. You will, though, be running for 30 minutes and that is a wonderful feeling and well worth the effort to get there.
    Take the pace slow. Whatever speed you can comfortably manage is the speed that is perfect for you. Slow and steady will get you to the end of the program.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you're doing the timed version, it's unlikely that you'll be running 5K* at the end of the program.

*In 30 minutes. You should be able to run an entire 5k race, if that's your goal. However, it might take you more than 30 minutes.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Thanks, Varda....yes, that's what I meant. It'll take you longer than 30 minutes to run 5K.......but you'll be able to run 5K, you'll have that ability; it'll just take you longer.
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    W2D1 done!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good work Bluizflame - before you know it, you'll be running 5k even if it does take over 30mins initially (still takes me more than 30mins 3mths after graduating but hey, as long as we enjoy it!) :smile:

As already mentioned, don't worry about speed - you might end up running slower than 5mph in the later stages but as you run more and more you'll get faster again. As long as you can complete each day, that's all that matters at this stage.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Good work Bluizflame - before you know it, you'll be running 5k even if it does take over 30mins initially (still takes me more than 30mins 3mths after graduating but hey, as long as we enjoy it!) :smile:

LOL! I'm in the same boat, yamsteroo, and I graduated last spring. It still takes me over 30 minutes to run 5K but it's an enjoyable time and I have fun on my runs.

Way to go, Bluizflame! You're doing great.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 now and It's about 35 mins or so for me : ) I think it just stays around there! Happy you are starting ! I love it and can't wait until I am done.
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    W3D1 done...

Didn't think i would get thru with the first 3 min run, but i pushed on!
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    W3D1 done...

That's awesome! I'm on week 1. Hope to get to where you are at soon.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    W3D1 done...

That's awesome! I'm on week 1. Hope to get to where you are at soon.

2 weeks... :)
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    W3D1 done...

Nice job! I just did week 3 day 3 today. Didn't think I could do 3 minutes either but like you I pushed on! Now I'm freaking out about week 4 ????
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    W3D2 done

First 90sec & 3 min run was fine....the second round was another story. 90sec run went well, but then about 2min into the 3 min run it started to hurt to breath on my left side...like cramping or something. Pushed thru it and finished the run though! Boy was i thankful when i heard the voice say to slow down to cool off! haha Continued to walk for 30 min more at a slower pace but higher incline :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    W3D2 done

First 90sec & 3 min run was fine....the second round was another story. 90sec run went well, but then about 2min into the 3 min run it started to hurt to breath on my left side...like cramping or something. Pushed thru it and finished the run though! Boy was i thankful when i heard the voice say to slow down to cool off! haha Continued to walk for 30 min more at a slower pace but higher incline :)

That's called a side stitch. If it has a cause, it's most likely from eating before running. Some people have found that a two breaths in/one breath out breathing pattern helps.

If you still get one, You can ball up your fist and put pressure there, walk it off or run through it if it's not too bad.
  • letzdothiz
    letzdothiz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    wow all this group encouragement is great!!. I just came across C25k today and I have decided to take up the challenge. Ive always admired the marathon runners and figured why cant that be me. I know I have some work to do but Im hoping following the program shown on the website I can do it too. :happy:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    wow all this group encouragement is great!!. I just came across C25k today and I have decided to take up the challenge. Ive always admired the marathon runners and figured why cant that be me. I know I have some work to do but Im hoping following the program shown on the website I can do it too. :happy:

You can do it! I wouldn't do a marathon for a year or two, but it's really likely you'll be capable of a half marathon in a year.
  • letzdothiz
    letzdothiz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    imagine that! for now 5K will be my goal :wink: :wink:
  • Bluizflame
    Options
    Took a week off cuz my trainer had me work on my core...and it hurt do do something as simple as cough! lol

Did W4D1 yesterday!! Still getting the cramp/pain in my left side about 2min left in the last run :( But i push thru it and finish the run! I didn't read the summary first...and was surprised by 2 5min runs lol
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how the program prepares you for the next workout. I'm learning to trust it because I couldn't run 1 minute straight when I started and today I did 6, 4, and 6 minute runs!! Keep up the good work :D