Maternity Clothes

Options

Replies

• _DoingMe_
    Options
    Amy, I've purchased from Thyme in the past. Pricey, but the clothes were nice.

Walmart was another location.

This was all for pants though, I rarely bought maternity shirts and simply went for shirts with a longer length and that worked well last time. I'll probably do the same this time around.
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I asked around some friends in the office today and many of them also suggested Walmart ... I just have to find a location that has a maternity section! I did hit up a second walmart yesterday, but they only had 1 rack, and 1 pair of dress pants ... which did not work out for me.

I was also told that most of the other Target stores in the city have a decent selection (again, I must have just chosen the wrong location) and I will also try Thyme. I don't mind paying a bit more, if it means the clothes are decent and will last through constant wearing for the next 6 months or so.

I re-read my original post and realized that it didn't fully make sense ... when at Motherhood, I requested no skinny leg, and I would prefer just straight leg or bootcut ... curvy gals like me cannot pull off those skinny leg pants! LOL!

Another common suggestion in the office today was to purchase a belly band, which will extend the time I can wear my regular pants for a few more weeks, and give me a bit more time to find what I need in terms of maternity wear.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's not going to be long until my pants need to be bigger, or maternity. My work pants are NOT doing well. LOL.
  • amyjpage
    Options
    So I found another Target yesterday, and Thyme Maternity and found some great pants that will work for the office ... the problem is a size Large fits, but does not leave any room to grow in the leg/bum area. A size Extra Large has me swimming in material.

I purchased a belly band for now, and will use this as long as I can with my current pants - and re-assess when it gets closer to needing to find other pants.

I am hoping second hand / thrift stores will be my saving grace, and that I'll find size Large that has perhaps been stretched enough to fit comfortably. The sales lady at Thyme coundn't say for sure if the size large would stretch out after wearing - so I did not yet want to purchase anything.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I got a pair of "dress" pants off the sales rack at Motherhood Maternity. Come to think of it, I didn't see anything anywhere else in the store that would be suitable. I also found a skirt at Value Village (thrift store) that is extremely stretchy and a little on the big side so hopefully I can transition to that if I don't find anything else before I outgrow the pants. I got a belly band too so hopefully it will help me use the work clothes I already have for a little while longer.

I work at a court reporting service so the dress code is probably a notch below a lawyer's office.

I haven't been to Thyme yet. I was so shopped out by the end of the day....
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have just been wearing pajama pants, basketball shorts, spandex - anything with a stretchy waist band - and my husband's t-shirts. I am actually perfectly okay with this, and as for size, I will be alright with it for awhile. Nobody at works cares and they all know why. But, I dontnhave a public image job either.
    My regular clothes are too small. I do have some maternity clothes but currently, they are all too big and look sloppy on me.
    Problem: I want to wear something nice for Thanksgiving tomorrow and I got nothing! Nothing nice fits anymore anyways. May have to go buy one nice outfit.
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    Yeah, I've been thinking about the holidays and all the parties that come with it. Might have to buy one outfit that I can wear to the different company and family events that are coming up.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I AM HUGE!!!!! :noway:

Just thought I'd say that. I'm wearing maternity jeans/skirts and about 50% of the tops I'm wearing are maternity as well. Yay for 2nd trimester!
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My belly is sticking out so much this week!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Same! And I can't suck it in anymore like I used to be able too!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    So far I'm doing okay. I can still button my dress pants but there's no way I'm getting into my low rise jeans. I've gotten my appetite back in the last week or so and I'm expecting big changes as soon as being able to eat catches up to me. I do wear one pair of maternity skinny jeans only because they are SO skinny that I don't think I'll be able to wear them by the end of the second trimester.
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. :) Being pregnant has seriously messed with any body image issues I have. I am still wearing my regular clothes, but things are starting to get uncomfortable. (Most of my bras feel like torture devices. I bought one nursing bra a few weeks ago and it is the most comfortable thing in the world.) I imagine that for the next few weeks I will get by with some baggy sweaters and my maternity BeBand I bought at Target. Most of my clothing fit issues have to do with my chest and not my tummy--yet. :)
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    I am afraid it may already be new bra shopping time for me :(
    They are getting tight and uncomfortable now, but I dont want to buy new ones, bras are expensive and I am going to be really mad if they only fit while I am pregnant and never fit again.
    Do you think sports bras are a good idea?
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I need to buy some new bras too. Sure bras are expensive, but if you only buy one or two they will probably only last you through your pregnancy and a little while beyond that anyway.

I'm only putting it off because my bra size is next to impossible to find anywhere... I'm a 34DD typically so I'm dreading trying to find a cup size up while keeping the band the same size...
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    I know the feeling. I am a 34F -usually - don't even want to know where they'd measure me now!
  • amyjpage
    Options
    I finally treked out to one of the second-hand stores on Saturday and found pants!! I found two pairs of maternity dress pants that are suitable for my work in a law firm for $9 each! I will have to take them in to get hemmed, at an additional $9 each, that still makes each pair just $18 - and they fit!! They are extra-large sized from Thyme, but I am guessing the previous owner must have put in the dryer or something, because I did not have the issue with swimming in material like I did with the pants in the maternity stores!

For my Canadian friends: the Thyme website finally seems to be up and running again and they are running a promotion of $25 off when you spend $100 or more + free shipping! And the nice thing about Thyme is that you can return or exchange in store!

So far I have spent $125 on maternity clothes - 2 pairs of pants and 4 shirts ... now let's hope the shirts fit great when they arrive in the mail at the end of the week!

Finally! I am fast running out of clothes that fit me! LOL!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I think I might just head over to the Thyme website then....

I've spent about $250 on maternity clothes. I have 2 nice tanks, 2 layering tanks, 3 shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 skirts, 1 yoga pants, 1 work pants, 1 sweater, 1 dress, 1 BellaBand, and 2 pairs of shorts. No luck with a bra yet. I tried on one in my size and it was almost comical. I found out I'd have to go to a 34F at least too. :( Where oh where can I find that?

I'm hoping that that will do for now until I (possibly) grow out of them and need clothes for the last couple months. I am 100% in maternity clothes now. Even my regular yoga pants don't fit quite right anymore.
  • amyjpage
    Options
    oh yes! $30 for the bellaband ... which is saving my pre-pregnancy dress pants (but not for much longer!) so a total of $155 on maternity clothes to date.

Winter lasts forever here in Calgary, so I think I can make this batch of clothes work (need to buy a few cardigans) until late April or early May before having to pick up a skirt or two and a few shirts to make it to the end. Will likely have to buy some jeans soon too ... but thankfully I haven't even needed the bellaband (yet) on the jeans - and the second hand store I went to last week had multiple pairs of maternity jeans that I'll consider when I get to that stage.

I really don't care that I am wearing the same clothes to work every week, I am not all that interested in buying a huge maternity wardrobe. I hate shopping at the best of time - I'm just a plain jeans and tee-shirt kind of girl when I can get away with it, maternity shopping is even less interesting to me! hahhahaha! (I think I chose the wrong career - but thankfully we don't have to wear full suits to work every day LOL!)
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oh my god! My sports bras are all so tiny now! I was jogging at the gym today and I thought I was going to have a serious problem! Also, before I got pregnant I bought a few regular bras that were a little too big for me. They fit perfectly now. I tried on a bra from before that shopping trip and that was a joke! I can't believe how much my boobs have grown! Definitely need to go bra shopping.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    At around 11 weeks (i'm 12+3 today) I started visably showing in my stomach. My mom had bought me a few pair of maternity jeans, but sadly they are too big, and i'm not sure that i'll ever fit them. I have worn a maternity shirt already and it was awesome. Didn't feel fat, and actually felt like people would be able to tell i'm pregnant!