Low Fat/High Protein and Carb

Options
TriLifter
TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
I've just started incorporating carb-cycling into my diet and have three low fat/ high carb days per week. I'm great with high fat/ low carb for the other four days, but am having a hard time reducing the fat and adding more carbs on the other days. A lot of my protein is high fat... are there any Paleo protein sources that are higher in protein as well as carbs ( kinda like beans would be)? I'm drawing a blank!!!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the first thing that come to mind for a good low-fat protein source. You can also get lean cuts of mean, such as chicken/turkey breast, pork chops, and sirloin steak. They're not high in carbs, of course, but they all go well with your favorite variety of potato. :) Dairy milk is also a decent source of protein and carbs (if you don't mind the simpler carbs from lactose), and can be used as a base for protein shakes. Not technically Paleo, though.

I'm not sure there is any one food that is high protein, high carb, because Paleo sources are generally animal-derived, and the high-protein, high-carb food sources are typically plants, and specifically the ones off-limits in Paleo.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    The ultimate the high protein low fat option is chicken, especially chicken breast. Shrimps also have very low fat content and high in protein. Oven roasted pork sirloin also relatively low fat and very high protein . Serve them with sweet potato or butternut squash for the carb.

Since you eat dairy , the other is cottage cheese) and greek yogurt, those are high protein and medium carb option. I used to do cottage cheese cream for my kid , which is yummy and very high in protein and carb with barely no fat. Just put cottage cheese(dry curds), and berries maybe a half banana into a blender and run it until it is nice thick creamy consistency. He is off from dairy for a while, but this was one of his favorite breakfast. Also I make thick smoothies for breakfast with greek yogurt, berries and half banana. Also very good breakfast food with high protein and carb and no fat.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Leaner fish. I like cod.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Yeah, I've been trying to do the lower fat meat thing like cod and chicken breasts and add sweet potatoes. I've also been making smoothies with a banana, whey powder (whey is the only ingredient), almond milk, and cocoa powder. I do dairy, but I feel like I spend half my time eating lowfat cottage cheese/greek yogurt on high carb days and full fat greek yogurt on low carb days. Honestly,

Sometimes I wish that I just didn't care what I put into my body. Bring on the canola oil fried potato chips, pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and bacon cheeseburgers WITH THE BUNS! But I just can't do that. Gluten definitely makes me ill. I think I'm fine with dairy. I did a Whole 30 a few months back and had a hard time eating enough food on it. I added dairy back so fast that I didn't even get a chance to see if I actually tolerated it well or not...now it's been awhile so I can't tell. Unfortunately, at this time, I'm counting a lot on daity to help me reach my protein goals.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Leaner meats, tuna, salmon.....the next thing that came to mind rather than beans, would be quinoa. Not super high in protein, but not any worse. It's actually a seed, not a grain or legume. I'd still add a protein source, as it's not as high as meat or fish would be. I actually just saw a recipe yesterday with quinoa that I might try - probably adding some ground turkey to it:
    http://www.theironyou.com/2013/05/spicy-mexican-quinoa-casserole.html

Mark's take on quinoa:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alternatives-to-grains-quinoa/
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Leaner meats, tuna, salmon.....the next thing that came to mind rather than beans, would be quinoa. Not super high in protein, but not any worse. It's actually a seed, not a grain or legume. I'd still add a protein source, as it's not as high as meat or fish would be. I actually just saw a recipe yesterday with quinoa that I might try - probably adding some ground turkey to it:
    http://www.theironyou.com/2013/05/spicy-mexican-quinoa-casserole.html

Mark's take on quinoa:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alternatives-to-grains-quinoa/

I've been going back and forth on quinoa. I have some in teh back of my cupboard...should probably pull that out.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I guess you are just looking for variety and want some alternative to the obvious sweet potato + lean meat option.

You can make "pasta" dishes with spaghetti squash.
    My 2 favorites are Italian tomato sauce + mozzarella cheese, and pesto sauce +cubed chicken breast
    I make those 2 sauces in huge quantities and freeze them in muffin cup portions, which makes really fast meal prep for workdays.

If you decide to venture off to the quinoa world, you can actually eat quinoa pasta, which is really good. My non-paleo family is totally unaware that they are eating it for ages instead of wheat pasta. I tried to switched them to spaghetti squash , but that is the point my husband said no. Usually I cook quinoa pasta for them and spaghetti squash for myself and just sneak a little bit of squash into their plate, haha .

for high carb with allowed dairy I personally would just eat fancy cheeses with grapes :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I guess you are just looking for variety and want some alternative to the obvious sweet potato + lean meat option.

You can make "pasta" dishes with spaghetti squash.
    My 2 favorites are Italian tomato sauce + mozzarella cheese, and pesto sauce +cubed chicken breast
    I make those 2 sauces in huge quantities and freeze them in muffin cup portions, which makes really fast meal prep for workdays.

If you decide to venture off to the quinoa world, you can actually eat quinoa pasta, which is really good. My non-paleo family is totally unaware that they are eating it for ages instead of wheat pasta. I tried to switched them to spaghetti squash , but that is the point my husband said no. Usually I cook quinoa pasta for them and spaghetti squash for myself and just sneak a little bit of squash into their plate, haha .

for high carb with allowed dairy I personally would just eat fancy cheeses with grapes :)

Tell your husband he's a chicken. :P My husband, who came from a "I don't eat no rabbit food" family (well, father, mainly, but what man doesn't take after his father?), fell in love with spaghetti squash.

That said, I second the spaghetti squash. It's great with a sausage meat sauce (usually a spaghetti sauce base, then we add meat and other spices to taste), but you can use any ground meat or do meatballs or whatever.

We also do sloppy joes, but instead of on bread, they go over potatoes (sweet or white, depending on what we have and/or want to make).
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Gotta say that I just love the quinoa. But my gosh, it's so high in calories and for this shorty, I can't eat much if I want to eat anything else that day. Bummer for me.