Temptation

Options
ea101367
ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
I work at the front desk of an oilfield rentals office. The Christmas treats have started coming in. Right now I have an assortment of brownies and squares plus ginger snaps sitting on the reception desk in front of me! My mouth is watering and I am so tempted, but have not given in. I plan to indulge over the Christmas holidays but really need stenght in the coming month to avoid giving in. I want it yet I don't. I don't know if its the taste I want or if I am just mourning the loss of this type of food. I've been doing Keto for a month and have lost the same amount of weight it took 3 months with the traditional diet & exercise method. I feel way more satisfied but I still seem to think I want those OTHER so called foods. Just venting a little.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It often helps to make the conscious choice to say "no, thank you," even if it's not to anyone except yourself. By shifting your mindset (and keeping it there) from "I can't have that" to "I don't want that," you have greater chances of success.

I found I'm often turned off by the ingredient list of things I'm considering buying or eating. Even if they don't have ingredient lists, you probably have an idea of what's in them. It might help to remember that ingredient list and say "I don't want to put that stuff in my body."

Alternatively, you can think about what it feels after you eat foods like that, such bloating (or water weight gain, which although temporary can be discouraging), upset stomach, feeling ill from too much sugar, etc. and saying "I don't want to deal with the consequences."

Besides, after you've been keto for a while, sweet things tend to taste sweeter than you remember. They'll probably be sickening sweet if you ate one, anyway.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    @dragonwolf, great post!! I'm going to try your tips, esp the "I don't want to deal with the consequences!"
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Totally agreed! Nice post, Dragonwolf!
  • ea101367
    Options
    Thank you! I said "No thank you" to myself and this morning I am looking at a 1.2lb loss!! Now I KNOW that feels way better than the effects of a sugar laiden sweet treat!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Be strong - Remember …. ``A minute on the lip = forever on the hips !! `` I have that saying on my fridge !
  • ea101367
    Options
    I have a similar one, "Sweet on the lips- Heavy on the hips!"
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I agree with being strong and it works for me to a degree. But I've also found I have to be a little prepared. I had fat bombs in the freezer for times when the kids have something I want. I also use the mock danish, which if I cross my eyes just right ;) reminds me of cheesecake or custard. You could also look up low carb cheesecake or other desserts so that you could have an alternative at the office.
  • chani8
    Options
    Using treat substitutes is a great one. While my kids are pounding down doughnuts and latkes, I've been indulging in a big ole bowl of diet strawberry yogurt mixed with cottage cheese. It's sweet, and while not perfect (because of the diet sweetener), it's a pretty good compromise to myself.

Nuts, however, are not a good compromise because I can't stop eating them. Especially peanuts or anything peanut buttery.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Using treat substitutes is a great one. While my kids are pounding down doughnuts and latkes, I've been indulging in a big ole bowl of diet strawberry yogurt mixed with cottage cheese. It's sweet, and while not perfect (because of the diet sweetener), it's a pretty good compromise to myself.

Nuts, however, are not a good compromise because I can't stop eating them. Especially peanuts or anything peanut buttery.

Personally, I'd skip the diet yogurts (because of the artificial sweeteners, which typically have weird aftertastes) and go for a plain yogurt and add the fruit myself. Or just do fruit and cottage cheese (cottage cheese and peaches, yum!).
  • chani8
    Options

Personally, I'd skip the diet yogurts (because of the artificial sweeteners, which typically have weird aftertastes) and go for a plain yogurt and add the fruit myself. Or just do fruit and cottage cheese (cottage cheese and peaches, yum!).

You're so right. After posting last night, I decide to try something different today. I went for cottage cheese and organic (sugar free) preserves. Not as sweetly satisfying, but certainly healthier. Maybe I'll try fresh fruit next time, although I'm probably too lazy to cut up a little bit of apple. You're really cool, Dragonwolf. :)
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Can you move them away from your area? That is what I would do to lessen the temptation. Also, if the temptation is still to great, have a small piece and get it over with it...you can taste and then be done with it. The longing for the sweets does lessen over time when being on low carb to almost the point that you know if you over indulge in sugary and white flour treats that you don't feel so well afterwards and that is enough (at least for me) to not want to do that AGAIN. Good luck!