Updates / Venting / Confessionals

Options
I created this post because I needed to vent about my fitness/nutrition progress. A fitness journey brings with it highs and lows and I'm sure if you are anything like me, it's good to have a place to air it out, so have at it! This is an open forum. Please feel free to vent or discuss updates about your successes, failures, revelations etc. So I ask, how are you today?

Ugh!-- LoL,

Hi Ladies, I thought I'd come here and vent a little bit and make a few confessionals, so here goes:

I have NO idea what I'm doing anymore when it comes to my fitness and nutrition regime. I'm kind of just shooting in the dark/ throwing paint on the wall and seeing where things land so-to-speak. I'm a little annoyed with counting calories because its tedious and I hate seeing when I've gone over in Carbs/Fats/Sugars and under in Protein. I think my goals were not meeting my nutritional needs because last week I was feeling weak/light-headed and craving carbs so I ate some. I've decided to go back to including Cardio training in my workouts because I feel a lot better when get a good cardio burn. People say that cardio takes away from muscle gains but I like it so I'm sticking to it.

In the past I've pushed myself too hard in the gym with cardio and lifting and lately I feel I haven't pushed myself enough. I figure as long as I make an effort--even if I don't really know what I'm doing, it's got to be better than NOT doing. I guess I'm just smack in the middle of figuring out what works for me and what doesn't. What good are results if you're practically pulling your hair out to maintain them? I hate feeling hungry and weak. I don't mind a little muscle soreness from time to time--for me that's just proof that I'm making some muscle gains which is a good thing. Hmm.. I think that's about it. Folks with more experience know what they're doing and know exactly what to train and how to train and the effectiveness of this versus that--high reps vs. low reps, push vs. pull exercises, circuit training, pyramiding, super-sets, strength gains vs. muscle gains, bulking vs. cutting, upper body/lower body splits vs. full body splits, counting macros, hypertrophy, lifting to failure vs. NOT lifting to failure and yadda yadda yadda... I'm an amateur. For now I'll just stick to a little cardio + upper/lower splits. I'll only use the basic gym machines I know how to use (relatively) and I'll eat mostly if not all clean foods. Sunday will be my "cheat"/ "off" day, but if I feel like going for a run, I'll go for a run.

I've also learned that when I keep mostly healthy foods in the house there's really no way I can f*@! up. All my food options are healthy choices (fruit assortment, greek yogurt, almond butter, rice cakes (carmel), protein shake, pretzels, popcorn, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale, broccoli, black beans, veggie burger, steak, chicken, eggs, oatmeal, whole grain cereal/bread, avocado, green tea, water, pomegranate juice (no added sugar), salad, low skim mozzarella string cheese, blah blah blah). I've also decided that 1/month I'll go out to dinner and order/eat whatever the hell I want (apps, entree, and dessert!) "Moderation and Consistency", that's the name of the game for me. I've been ranting for a while. I'm gonna stop here. Thanks for taking the time to hear me out :). Now it's your turn. How are you today?

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ahh you sound like me!!! I saw your other post and we are essentially twinsies age/body type as well.
  • caitlinashe511
    caitlinashe511 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might need to shake up your routine a bit. Maybe try a new sport? Sign up for a race or competition of sorts? I'm part of Tone it Up... it's kinda pricey (~$150) but they have all sorts of stuff like challenges and recipe updates and the like. It keeps things fresh and interesting! There are some bloggers that have neat videos: Cassey Ho with Blogilates and Sarah Fit. There's also a podcast I used to listen to religiously called Inside Out Weightloss, and it's nothing about what to eat and how to work out, but rather how to take the emotional journey towards a slim lifestyle. The woman's name is Renee Stephens.
    Also....maybe hire a personal trainer for a few sessions and see what they say?

Good luck!
  • Butyou
    Butyou Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Venting.
    I was working on gaining muscle and then I quit. I started working really long hours at work. I was to tired to get up at 3;30 am and to tired when I got off work to point making dinner was a chore. Know we slowed down and for 2 weeks I was back at it. Then I went on Vacation then THanksgiving. Know it has been 2 weeks since any movement.
    BLah blAH blAH
    Excuses are like *kitten* everyone has one! In the last 4 months I sure Have came up with a lot of excuses.
    Thanks for listening.
    Hope you are having a wonderful healthy day:)
    Stephyb
  • ColeAXE
    ColeAXE Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to the group but have been on MFP since May. I can definitely identify with your shares. It feels like I've lost my motivation and I really want to get back to it. I fell off my exercise regime when I started long hours at work. Yep, excuses excuses. I really just want to find something exciting, challenging and most of my will to continue on this journey. Thank you all for being here. I guess it's time I get back to basics.
    Have an awesome day ;-)
  • overhaul12
    Options
    I can absolutely relate!! It's going to be annoying to hear, but just be patient and stick with it. If you feel better doing cardio, then by all means do cardio! Who cares if people say it decreases muscle gains. Lift a little and get your cardio in. I hate seeing days that I've gone over on MFP too, but I've started to be more and more dedicated to it. Instead of not counting for a day because I know I'm going to go over, I deliberately log everything. It doesn't make me feel great to see everything in red, but at least I can see where I need to work on and try to decrease the number of days in the red compared to numbers of days in the green. Progress comes from hard work, and even if it's slow, progress is progress. Take it one day at a time girl. And feel free to add me for support :)
  • CheerfulPinkFlower
    Options
    Thanks for this post, as I think the eating patterns that we develop become habits over time. Over time I have come to terms that I am definitely an emotional and social eater It makes total sense to me to "eat" when I eat when I am upset because I want to make myself feel better. However, lately if I find myself thinking this way and it's late at night....I will just go ahead and go to sleep earlier.

I'm not sure why we feel so compelled to eat when we are socializing. I thinks it's because "eating" is such a communal activity. Plus I really enjoy food. I'm doing my best not to over analyze and attempt to do my daily exercises and keeping tabs on what I eat. A friend recommended that that I check out MFP and I'm so glad she did. This site really helps me to be accountable for my actions!