Rotating running shoes??

So this morning I read an article that talks about runners that have more than one pair of running shoes, and they rotate them.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/study-backs-rotating-shoes-to-lower-injury-risk?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-RotatingShoesBetter

So it got me thinking, do you guys also rotate your running shoes? How many pairs of running shoes do you have. Currently I only have one pair Brooks Ravena. I wear them for running and also during the day at work. But this article got me thinking if I should have an extra pair or more. Don't get me wrong any excuse I can find to buy another pair of shoes is fine with me :).

My problem is that I probably wound not rotate from different types of shoes once I find one that works I stick with it.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I don't wear my running shoes for anything but running, so I would get a pair devoted only to running. The everyday wear on your shoes will cause them to break down a lot faster. Save the every day wear for when you have finally worn them out with running. I still have my old pairs of running shoes that I use for day to day, but don't run in any more.

I know some people who buy two pairs and rotate them. Usually during the tax free weekend or when Brooks has their discount shoe exchange, then rotate them out. But that also depends on the distance you are running if you can do that or not. Remember, most shoes only have a 300-500 mile life span (another reason why wearing your running shoes to work and stuff is not a good idea).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I have 3 pair of road shoes that I rotate, depending on the type of run that I am going to do. I have Mizuno Wave Rider 16s for easy and long runs, I have Brooks Launch for faster workouts and I use them for some long runs too and I have a pair of Mizuno Sayanora's that I use for fast workouts and some easy runs. The Sayanoras are a lower drop then the others, so I don't use them too frequently. I also have trail shoes, racing flats and track spikes.

You should only use your running shoes for running. You greatly reduce their life expectancy when you walk around in them and you also start to wear away the cushioning in a manner that is inconsistent with the way that you run which could cause you aches and pains down the road.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I always have at least two pair in rotation and preferably three.
  • I don't wear my running shoes for anything but running, so I would get a pair devoted only to running. The everyday wear on your shoes will cause them to break down a lot faster. Save the every day wear for when you have finally worn them out with running. I still have my old pairs of running shoes that I use for day to day, but don't run in any more.

I know some people who buy two pairs and rotate them. Usually during the tax free weekend or when Brooks has their discount shoe exchange, then rotate them out. But that also depends on the distance you are running if you can do that or not. Remember, most shoes only have a 300-500 mile life span (another reason why wearing your running shoes to work and stuff is not a good idea).

I never really thought about wearing them every day and breaking them down. I am going to buy another pair for every day wear since I am not required to wear high heel shoes at work I can wear tennis. Thanks for that tip. Today is going to be the last day I wear them every day.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I always run of two pairs of the same model of shoe, rotate for each run. Been doing it that way for years now, my physical therapist told me to do so.
  • I have 3 pair of road shoes that I rotate, depending on the type of run that I am going to do. I have Mizuno Wave Rider 16s for easy and long runs, I have Brooks Launch for faster workouts and I use them for some long runs too and I have a pair of Mizuno Sayanora's that I use for fast workouts and some easy runs. The Sayanoras are a lower drop then the others, so I don't use them too frequently. I also have trail shoes, racing flats and track spikes.

You should only use your running shoes for running. You greatly reduce their life expectancy when you walk around in them and you also start to wear away the cushioning in a manner that is inconsistent with the way that you run which could cause you aches and pains down the road.

Today will be the last day that I am wearing my running shoes at work (feel like going to buy a pair of different shoes just so that I can take them off), I do not want to wear them out because I am wearing them when I am not supposed to I never really thought about that. Carson does it come with experience knowing what running shoes to use for what type of runs?

• yeah that is the same article that I saw
  • I always run of two pairs of the same model of shoe, rotate for each run. Been doing it that way for years now, my physical therapist told me to do so.

I love the pair that I have right now thinking of buying another pair just so that I can rotate them. They have worked for my knees
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    I have six pairs of shoes, varying from very minimal to very cushioning, that I rotate through. Two pair of virrata's do the lion's share of the work, and the other four pair serve to mix things up a bit. We are encouraged to mix up running surfaces, training regimens, etc., so I think it just makes sense mix up the stress on our feet and legs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Carson does it come with experience knowing what running shoes to use for what type of runs?

Yes. The shoes that I use for faster workouts are considered "Lightweight trainers" and are recommended for faster runners and is also based on weight. As they are lighter, they have a little less cushioning, so they are recommended for runners with fewer miles on their legs. The racing shoes are just for that. I don't use the flats for anything longer than 10K. I use lightweight trainers for racing distances over 10K.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    I do not rotate my shoes, but I know I should. Kind of like how I don't floss every single day either...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I don't rotate shoes per se, but I have a pair of shoes for longer runs and a different pair for shorter distances.
  • I do not rotate my shoes, but I know I should. Kind of like how I don't floss every single day either...

LOL!!! great point
  • I don't rotate shoes per se, but I have a pair of shoes for longer runs and a different pair for shorter distances.

I might consider getting a second pair
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I don't rotate shoes per se, but I have a pair of shoes for longer runs and a different pair for shorter distances.

I might consider getting a second pair

I'm not sure how much actual benefit there is, but I like to run in the lightest shoes I can. But for anything over about 7 miles, I need more cushion than lighter weight shoes offer.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I have two different pairs of Nike Pegasus and one pair of Altra Zero Drop (incredible shoes).
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    I have two pair of nike air maxes that I rotate on the road. They give me the cushion and support I need for outdoor running.

I have a pair of nike free run xt for the treadmill.

I think it's a good idea.
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Echoing other comments, I generally have at least 2 pairs of road shoes (one lighter, lower cushion for speed/short runs) and 2 pairs of trail shoes in rotation.

However, when I first started running, I really didn't run enough to justify having more than one pair of shoes, so I just ran in one pair until they were about half "used up," and then I'd buy a new pair and slowly move them into rotation, starting with the shorter runs and running in them once or twice a week. This worked really well, and was kind to my budget as a student :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    I have two pairs of shoes. Same make and model. I do rotate them to keep mileage approximately equal