New - 6 mth diet pre-surgery

Options
Hi everyone!

I just had my Consultation with the Doctor and the Insurance advocate to make the down payment for the Gastric Bypass Surgery with Dr. Kim at Celebration Hospital. The Doctor said he wants me to do a phase 1 diet then a phase 2 diet before surgery. Then I meet with the advocate and she said that I will be doing the phase 1 diet for one week then phase 2 diet for the next week and keep switching on and off for the whole 6 months my insurance requires for approval. Doing a protien/liquid diet every other week for 6 months seems kind of extreme and usually the majority do phase 1 for a couple months then phase 2 before the surgery, like what the doctor said. So I emailed the advocate to make sure exactly how they want me to do the 6 months. Has anyone ever heard of something like this though? Doing the protein/liquid diet every other week for 6 months?

phase 1 - No carbs, grains, starches, oatmeal, sugar. Lean Meats. At least one vegetable or fruit each meal, 2-3 low fat dairy servings. Cut meals in half (wtf does that mean? that is the actual verbage). Exercise 5 times per wk.

phase 2 - Daily: 4 protein shakes, 1 cup raw vegetables, 4 fiber supplements, 2 adult multivitamins, 3 servings of dairy. 44 oz other liquids.

Also another point I am bringing up with the dietitian is that my cholesterol is 420 and I need to be on a low cholesterol diet which takes out animal products (which I already personally have been cutting out dairy and meats from my diet out of wanting a more plant-based lifestyle.) They specifically want whey protein isolate, which I dont think is very healthy so Im wondering does anyone do a plant-based protein powder? Also phase 1 doesnt mention anything about beans and lentils.

Any help and advise would be appreciated! Im eventually going to be getting answers from them once they get back to me but til then I might have to wait a couple weeks until I can speak with the dietitian. So any knowledge from you guys would be good until then.

Thank you!

Angela

Replies

• VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    Hi! I am no expert, but here is what I understand to be correct...1. Many doctors require patients to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery. 2. The insurance company requires you to be on a monitored diet, and each doctor is different. (Both pre & post diets vary for each doctor.)

My doctor wanted me to lose 10 pounds before my surgery. I have a friend who needed to lose 50 pounds before her surgery. The reason why the doctor needs you to lose weight is to allow him to perform surgery. Your liver needs to shrink to make more space. :) I hope some of this helps.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My doctor is only requiring me to lose 10 pounds for the surgery. Insurance is requiring 6 months of a successfully losing diet plan. With this diet plan Im definitely going to be losing quite a bit.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    Just do your best. I had to be on a 6 month diet, but it was strictly due to insurance. I didn't lose much until the month before my surgery... ;) Feel free to add me as a friend if you need any help or advice!