Keto break?

Options
fatsork
fatsork Posts: 82 Member
Hi every1 want some advice pls... Got some holidays and events coming up , thinkibg if taking a keto break for a week? Advice and thoughts pls? Will i pile on all the weightloss in a week?? I wont be cooking and its not a situation where i can explain keto to them, im gonna try and not go wild but i wont be able to stick to keto??help

Replies

• wheels_33
    Options
    you'll gain back water weight for sure, which you'll lose once you are back in ketosis. any actual weight gain will be dictated by how much you eat (every 3500 calories you take in over your expenditure = 1lb). as long as you don't go completely crazy, the scale should just reflect the water weight.

i decided to indulge at thanksgiving and found that when i ate carbs again, i actually got full quickly and didn't even wind up eating that much after all. i didn't even get kicked out of ketosis. my advice would be to just make sure you still track your calories.
  • LisaOnAMission007
    Options
    I have, after a few weeks of being on plan, taken a meal and ate what I wanted. But, then I went back on plan. I think anything like a whole cheat day or week is bound to result in lots of cravings, and struggles. I'm realistic in that I'm not going to be perfect on keto/LC my whole life, so I do try to enjoy an off plan meal every couple of weeks. I actually find that if I get back on, though I might show a gain in water/salt retention, I actually lose more weight a week or two later.
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Even if you can't control what there's to eat, you'll be able to choose to leave out obvious carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes etc) - that's what I do when out for dinner and what I'll be doing on Christmas Day also. I then eat lots of meat and green veg and always carry a supply of mayonnaise!! :) Have a bit of fun but don't go completely crazy, drink lots and lots of water and I think you will be fine!
  • Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What others said. It would be almost impossible to keep ketoing during the holidays. I am gonna take a short break on Christmas and then maybe New Years eve too, will see... But then I get right back to eating clean.
  • fatsork
    fatsork Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :-)) it really helps to hear from fellow ketonians. Think im gonna go off plan a little expect to gain but try not to go too carb crazy
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I already tested this a while ago. Was on vacation a for a week and ate whatever. Of course I gained weight (like 10 lbs) but got straight back into keto when back home and lost the weight in about a week. But, I should also mention that I'm one of those people who can go into keto within a day or two. Not sure how this would pan out for those who take one or two weeks. Also, I don't get the brain fog during transition. Perhaps these are things to consider when deciding what to do during the holidays. If it will take you two weeks of transition, and brain fog, will it be worth it? Maybe or maybe not.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I broke keto for awhile, and gave up MFP for a few months because I stalled out for about 4-5 months...I gained 12 lbs and it was not good for me. I am now 12-13 pounds heavier and getting back on the wagon was not easy for me. I know experiences will vary, but if you really don't need to I wouldn't. There are many good keto friendly foods for the holidays :)

Plus, every-time I've broken keto not only did I regret it, but I realized that I just didn't like the foods I thought I used to (totally made me feel dirty lol.)
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm just getting back from about a month break!! yikes a month, and I gained about 5 pounds in that month, but it all came off in about 3 days, so after 3 days back on Keto diet I'm back to where I started a month ago which isn't that bad really. It's likely all water but I'm ok with it. I guess now I'll have to see how fast the rest of the weight comes off now that I'm back on Plan.

Good Luck