Trouble gripping on deadlift

Options
Shaky44
Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
Total NOOB question . . . As the weight on my deadlift has increased, I've increasingly had trouble gripping the bar. I haven't failed yet, but it seems inevitable that my grip will fail before my back or legs do. Is this normal?

Also, I casually brought this up to a friend (I have no idea how knowledgeable he is) and he mentioned using "wraps." When I started researching this tonight, it seemed like maybe he actually meant to say "straps" by his description. Are either of these recommended for the deadlift? I don't have any history of wrist injury.

Replies

• tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My grip is my weak link. But I have no interest in using gear as a work around.

I have resorted to the mixed grip for the heavy lifts and the overhand grip for the lighter warm up sets.

I have also started using a pair of Iron Bull TGrips when I do Straight Leg Deadlifts on my recovery day. I just did 5 sets of 10 reps with 80 lbs using the TGrips this past Saturday. My forearms were burning on the reps of the last set. I am hoping this will help with my grip strength. Time will tell.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts will helps build your grip strength for sure...I try to not do reverse grip till the weight gets really heavy.

http://stronglifts.com/7-ways-increase-deadlift-grip-strength/

Also, I have heard some people mention hook-grip (Google it).
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts will helps build your grip strength for sure...I try to not do reverse grip till the weight gets really heavy.

http://stronglifts.com/7-ways-increase-deadlift-grip-strength/

Also, I have heard some people mention hook-grip (Google it).

So Mehdi does recommend straps for the deadlift when "your legs and back have the strength to Deadlift the weight, but your grip is the limiting factor." He just says to not use it on every set.

I think I'll basically try overhand grip until I fail, switch to a mixed grip, and then finally wraps when I fail at the mixed grip. I'm a big guy and I really feel that I have a bunch more capacity in my legs and back.
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with this and reached out to some friends for help. First make sure you are cutting your foot in half with the bar when you approach it so the bar is close to your shins. When you look down to your feet, you should see them cut in half. Bend over with your arms to the outside of your legs which are just slightly wider than shoulder width apart. For that you just gauge a comfortable stance.

I say that first before talking about hand grip because this will greatly improve your overall strength and lift heavier. So now to grip. Grip that bar absolutely as hard as you can. Literally squeeze the crap out of it before you lift. Start with your glutes and move down the chain and you will be able to lift a lot more weight and depend less on hand strength.