Complete newbie to running

Options
MrsSDolan
MrsSDolan Posts: 27 Member
Hi :-)
On sunday I ran 1 mile for the first time ever. Well... jogged!!
It took me 16 minutes. I know this is very slow but everyone has to start somewhere, right? I am going to continue doing this route once or twice a week and after Xmas, I plan on doing the couch to 5k challenge. Feel free to join in :-)

Stacie

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Going to give you beginner tips.

Go slow. If you have never been a runner before, then follow the C25K program. It might be easy the first few weeks, but while you might feel fine your legs need time to adjust to the new exercise you are doing.

Stick to 3 times a week, because aerobic fitness starts to decline after 3 days.

If you feel C25K is too easy at first and want to do more then find a nice cross training thing to do alongside, such as walking (that is what I did because it time on feet is time on feet to me lol), swimming, biking. But keep it low impact and low intensity.

Don't think of rest days as rest days. Think of them as recovery days. You are allowing your legs and body to recover fully before introducing more intensity. Sticking to recovery days is something beginners will sometimes skip, and that can lead to injury.

If you are serious about wanting to run, then I suggest going and getting fitted for a proper pair of running shoes. And keep those shoes only for running, don't wear them to work or out in town. The average life span of a running shoe is 300-500 miles, and using them for everyday can break them down faster.

Trust the program.

Don't use the work jog again, you are a runner...no matter how slow or fast you go.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My knees are sore for weeks after a run. What can be done to help eliminate that? I can live with soreness, just don't want to cause damage.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well, depends on many variables.

~Were you fitted properly for shoes? First go to when having chronic issues like that are shoes. If they weren't properly fitted for you then I would suggest starting there.

~Where are you running? If you are running on the side walk, then I suggest looking for a greenling or bike lane to run in so that you are on the road. The difference between cement and asphalt can cause lots of issues. That is why runners will run in the road over a sidewalk. That is the big thing that non-runners dont' understand when they get all pissed off at runners in the street.

~Are you a heavier set person? The added weight that compresses down on your knees can cause issues, and losing weight can help fight knee soreness.

~Do you stretch? Developing a good active stretching routine for before and a good static stretching routine for after can help fix a lot of problems. As well as devoting a rest day to a full body stretch routine such as a light yoga class can help.

~Do you strength train? Developing leg strength can help develop the support structure needed for bone movement. If the muscles are weak, then they can't support the force your body puts on your knees when you run, and strength training can help with that.

~Have you tried compression? Some people need a compression brace for their knees to stabilize the force upon them, but that is something to talk to your doctor about.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My knees are sore for weeks after a run. What can be done to help eliminate that? I can live with soreness, just don't want to cause damage.

I would also look at form. Are you trying for big, long strides? Overreaching can cause heel striking, which can put pressure on the knees. You might want to try to work on a shorter, faster cadence, where your foot lands more under you.
  • MrsSDolan
    MrsSDolan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :-) x
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Also, I was you 363 days ago. You will amaze yourself with your abilities if you slow down and stick with it for a year.