Two Half Marathons 7 weeks apart?

Options
2»

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This should not be a problem at all.

My $.02- do not wait until race day to go 13+ miles. Try to do it in training a couple times before race day.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the 2 cents! In my first race, I think I did 11 or 12 miles as the longest run before my race, and this time around I'm really hoping to do more longer training runs beforehand. Would you recommend 13? 14? or even longer?

If you can run some 14 or 15s, that will only help on race day. I think the key is to stay flexible on your long runs: if you're feeling good than tack on that extra mile or two at the end, if you're not feeling then don't be afraid to pull the plug at 11.
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Great! Thanks again everyone for your input and advice for training. I'm definitely going to try to include some longer training runs this year (as people have mentioned 14-15 milers) but we'll see how my legs feel. I'm looking forward to the spring race season now :)
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Totally doable. But then again, I do back to back half marathons (as in one on Saturday and another on Sunday). My body was in marathon training shape so I was able to do this -- didn't have any winning times, but had a GOOD time and it was a good experience in the long run. Good luck to you -- just play it smart and don't really take a lot of rest time inbetween both. Keep up your consistency and stamina.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging responses! I've decided to register for the Vancouver Half :happy:

Yay!! You'll be just fine. Can't wait to hear about them.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    As long as you've built up adequate mileage prior, you should have little problem with this. Many people do a long run of 13+ miles every week. Best of luck!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If you really want to kill your halfs, do long runs even longer than 13. Like in the 17-18 range. If you have that kind of a mileage base, the recovery will be just 1-2 weeks. So yeah, two halfs in 7 weeks is fine, provided you have a sufficient base.

OTOH if you are undertrained, race #1 will be bad and race #2 will be worse.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you really want to kill your halfs, do long runs even longer than 13. Like in the 17-18 range. If you have that kind of a mileage base, the recovery will be just 1-2 weeks. So yeah, two halfs in 7 weeks is fine, provided you have a sufficient base.

Word!

I always say the best thing that ever happened to my halfs was marathon training...
  • julie_emma1
    Options

Thanks for your feedback, Dave. I really want to do well on my halfs, so hopefully I can get my mileage up that much. Right now, my *weekly* mileage is only about 20 miles...so I have a long way to go.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Thanks for your feedback, Dave. I really want to do well on my halfs, so hopefully I can get my mileage up that much. Right now, my *weekly* mileage is only about 20 miles...so I have a long way to go.

As someone who recently went from 15ish MPW in the summer to 20 in Aug/Sep, and mid-30s since Oct, I can tell you that you will see lots of gains when you hit the 30s. Not that 20 isn't significant, but everything gets better with increased mileage (recovery, speed, endurance, etc).
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

As someone who recently went from 15ish MPW in the summer to 20 in Aug/Sep, and mid-30s since Oct, I can tell you that you will see lots of gains when you hit the 30s. Not that 20 isn't significant, but everything gets better with increased mileage (recovery, speed, endurance, etc).

This is encouraging. I'm currently hovering on the edge of the 30s. I'm between 25-28 mpw for the past few weeks. Looks like I'm just a couple months behind you mileage wise.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you're "racing" both, and your recovery time. I think 7 weeks is plenty if you are planning on racing them (and I mean racing as in all out pukefest and want to die after). I'm doing a fairly concentrated amount of HMs, but I'm not "racing" them all - I've got A races and B races. The B races are being done as easy training runs for free vacation time or as a favor for someone.

Great, thanks for the input. I would like to "race" both...but I'm not sure about the all-out pukefest part haha. Best of luck with your schedule of copious amounts of races :-)

Solution: Don't eat first (I always run fasted). Then you only have to worry about dry-heaving for half an hour :laugh:
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Strength training is key also with your runs. Don't forget to insert some cardio other than just running as well as some simple weight training, lunges, sit ups, push ups, upper and lower body.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

Ah, so first order of business is gradually getting that weekly mileage up. Once you're up to around 30 miles a week then you can start increasing the length of the long runs.