Body fat has gone UP?

Options
Frustrated. Love the paleo way of eating BUT had body comp done today and I've gone up (though pounds have gone down and clothes fit looser). Anyone successfully drop body fat while eating this way (and build muscle too)?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    What you eat comes into play, as does what you do. I'm eating at a deficit but I am certainly not building muscle (I have been well convinced that muscle cannot be built while eating at a deficit). However, I am ketogenic and fairly active so I am likely not losing a lot of muscle either. I'm always stronger and more energetic with each passing month so....
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Not surprising, given that you're doing a lot of endurance running.

As Akima said, what you're doing is as important as what you're eating in whether it's muscle or fat that you're losing when losing weight. You'll inevitably lose some muscle, but the goal is to lose as little as possible.

In order to maintain muscle, you need to eat between .5 and 1g per pound of lean body mass, depending on activity. Endurance cardio is catabolic, meaning it burns protein once it's run out of carbs (because protein takes less energy to convert to usable fuel than fat). This is why the Olympic marathon runners are very often twigs. So you'll want to be on the higher end of that range.

If you really want to prevent muscle mass loss, then you'll want to incorporate muscle-building exercises (well, they'd build muscle if you were eating at a surplus, at a deficit, it deters the body from using those muscles for fuel), such as sprinting, weight lifting, or bodyweight strength training. The latter two are especially important for women to do, anyway, because they increase bone density and helps ward off osteoporosis (technically, running does, too, but only for the lower body).

Mark Sisson has a good article on who should have how much protein. His numbers are based on total bodyweight, though, so keep that in mind when reading it (I prefer the LBM-based method, because it's your muscles that need the protein).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-protein-should-you-be-eating
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just had my last assessment for the year as well, and my body fat went from 21% in September to 18.9% just two days ago. I credit my lifting routine to this as it will burn off the stubborn fat and build a bit of muscle. For pound comparison, in the 3 months since my last assessment I've only lost 1 pound but as you can see from my body fat percentages, I'm certainly on the right track.

There's no reason that as a runner you can't also do some weights to try and turn the fat that is left into some useful muscle. Leaning out can only be of benefit to you. Strong lifts program is where I started and in the new year I plan to move onto another program I found online. And I'm not lifting anything impressive, but I'm lifting enough to keep my body lean and keep the body fat percentage down.

Hope this helps.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Actually NOT doing distance running anymore! Have been focusing on weight training and short cardio. Haven't run distance since June....
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Actually NOT doing distance running anymore! Have been focusing on weight training and short cardio. Haven't run distance since June....

Fair enough. Whether it was a factor, then, depends on when you last had your body fat measured. If the last measurement was this time last year, for example, then it may have still influenced the change. If you've measured it since June, of course, then it's not.

It's hard telling, then, what may be the issue without knowing what you're eating and what workouts you're doing.

Your protein should be at about 1g per pound of lean body mass, and your strength program should be a consistent one with a progression mechanism (ie - doing 50 situps and 50 pushups every day, without increasing the number or difficulty, isn't going to build muscle in the long run).

It might also be worth considering decreasing your deficit, or eliminating it altogether. Judging by your pictures, you appear to be pretty close to a healthy weight. If you eat at maintenance and work on your strength training, you should see your body fat percentage go down in future check-ins, even if the number on the scale doesn't change. Strong Lifts and Starting Strength both have good programs if you don't have one already.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    How was the body fat measured? Could there be a calibration/measurement error? I've had the "fat pinch/skin fold test" done by two technicians, and the numbers were different.

Something else to look into (also mentioned by others) is check your protein intake. I use 1.5 g per kg per lean body mass. Several tables available showing how much protein needed per amount of strenuous exercise done (where more exercise requires more protein).
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick google search and saw that measurement error with the skin fold test is plus/minus 2 to 5%. Was this the method they tested your body comp? If so, this may be your culprit, possibly?
  • alexotica
    alexotica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    And in addition to margin of error, there also could be differences in water retention, timing and type of meais prior to the measurement, etc. Unfortunately, even some of the most accurate/expensive ways to measure (BodPod, etc) have higher than helpful margins of error.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Thanks guys. They measured with calipers. I truly have a tough time believing I've got up that much. Clothing is loser and I'm def leaner. Going to tweak my diet a bit and see what happens.Honestly, I'm not a fitness model so I don't know why that number is important to me. I ran a 5k and blew my old PR out the water by almost 3 minutes AND I placed 2nd in my age group today. I need to look at how far I've come with my lifting, running and overall fitness instead of focusing on a number from a test that most certainly has room for error. ;)
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    hey! calipers are known to be really unreliable.

if you want solid BF numbers, i'd suggest bod pod or getting a dexa scan done.

either way, you're clothes are looser and you PRed your 5k = you're doing awesome!