I thought FAT was to be higher then PROTEIN?

Options
So I set my macros to 65%/30%/5%, if not higher fat and lower protein.
And this is the results:

Fats are higher then protein but not by much but still I thought fat consumption was to be higher then protein.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat contains 9 calories per gram, protein contains 4 calories per gram. But under the theory of keto, you let your body have enough protein to rebuild muscle, enough carbohydrates to keep glycogen stores at minimum, and your body gets trained to power itself (and the brain through ketones) on fat. The one key driver to this approach is that the body can turn carbs and protein (with a little more energy expenditure) into body fat, but it cannot turn dietary fat into body fat.
  • iowamoomoo
    Options
    That makes sense but still I thought that the fats were suppose to be higher then the protein but with these macros set for ketosis
    the protein is actually higher then the fats, is that ok?
  • Kendarita
    Kendarita Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Because fat gram is 9 calories and protein gram is 4 calories is why you are confused... The percentage of calories allotted for protein and fat you plugged in are correct, but because of calorie difference per gram of each it will give you similar grams to shoot for, even though calories fit the percentage.
    Example:
    100g of Protein: 400 calories
    100g of Fat: 900 calories
    So even though grams are the same, the amount of calories divided between the categories is very different.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Great explanation- I was wondering the same thing myself :)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Let's just say your daily limit is 1500 calories a day and you're following the 65/30/5 ratio...

65% of 1500 is 975 calories from fat.

30% of 1500 is 450 calories from protein.

5% of 1500 is 75.

975 calories divided by 9 calories per gram of fat* is about 108-109 grams of fat per day.
    450 calories divided by 4 calories per gram of protein is about 112-113 grams of protein per day.
    75 calories of carbohydrates at 4 calories per gram is under 20 per day. :)

So yes, by grams, protein may be *a couple of percent* more than fat. Calorically, not even close. :)

*note: medium chain triglyceride oil, while being 100% calories from fat, only has about 8.3 calories per gram due to having a shorter carbon chain than other fats. This is why coconut oil (and butter!) are so good for you**! MCTs also are much more easily converted to fuel and metabolized faster, and may have a small thermogenic+glucose lowering effect.

**note: This isn't even beginning to branch into the discussion of Omega 3 versus Omega 6 fats and the proper ratio between the two, let alone the distinctions between saturated/monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fats; animal-based vs. plant-based vs. synthetic... Basically, buy grass-fed beef and butter when possible; take krill/fish oil supplements but store them in the freezer so they don't oxidize; eat your flaxseed meal; and stay away from corn/sunflower/canola/soybean oil. Also... stay away from "vegetable oil". What vegetable is it? If you can't label it with a point of origin, how much can I trust it in my body? Stick with stuff that's solid at room temperature, not liquid.

As usual, I will provide references upon request. :)
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    my macros are 80/15/5