What you wish you had done to prepare.

Options
Hello All!

I have about 4 1/2 months left of dieting with my family physician before I can have my surgery approved by insurance. So I have some time to prepare myself physically and mentally for life after surgery. Some things that have already been suggested to me is to already start weight training and to get used to not cleaning your plate or use smaller plates for meals. What do you wish you had done before surgery that you think would have helped you?

All advice and suggestions are appreciated! Thank you! :)

Angela

Replies

• Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It was required that if I smoked or consumed alcohol to stop. I also quit all carbonated beverages, including diet and regular soda 4 months before. Best thing I ever did. I also experimented with various protein drinks
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm about 3 months pre surgery so I'm still reading and researching about this new way of life. I quit smoking and drinking carbonated beverages. I'm hoping to lose 10 lbs before my last appt.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had to start seeing an eating counselor, but since I was already doing that, it wasn't new to me. I highly recommend that support starts prior to surgery since getting your head in the right place is part of the process. Pre-surgery support groups are also a good option.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I wish I had experimented with different protein shakes/powders before surgery. Fortunately I got lucky and liked one of the first ones that was recommended to me.

Things I did to prepare that I was glad I had done: I bought a cookbook specifically for post WLS and purged my kitchen of all non-approved foods. I bought liquid vitamins for the first few months. I made sure I had small bowls and food storage containers on hand.
  • Agate69
    Options
    Consume high protein foods, start post surgical diet. The more protein, the faster you heal, the healthier your liver becomes, The more weight you drop presume grey,the bigger your total loss will be
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Wish I hadn't "stocked up" on protein powders. My tastes changed after surgery and I have a bunch of wasted $$ now.
    Wish I'd walked more\exercised more prior to surgery. I'm active now, but I'd have been better off to have been in better condition then.
    Consume high protein foods, YES! Cut WAY back on the carbs. You'll lose better and feel full longer.
    Quit caffeine, soda, anything you have an addiction to well in advance of surgery. It took me months to kick the diet soda habit and get off caffeine. You don't want withdrawal while you're trying to deal with healing.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who answered your question have spoken about their 'physical' prep. My 'wish' is mental prep. As I approach 200 pounds lost, I wish I had pictures of me before my surgery - I'm talking my past 30 years. I had been overweight most of my life, and in that 30 years, I have destroyed most of the photographs ever taken of me

Bariatric surgery, as it is today, is about 10 years old - give or take a few years. I spent years riding the roller coaster of weight loss with no luck. I was depressed and seeing a picture of me made it worse, so I destroyed it.

Now after my surgery, I have no visual remider of my obese past and I wish I did. I feel and see the weight loss total - my ticker below reminds me daily, my doctors applaud me, my family reminds me of the past. But visually, I have no reminders that I can use to keep me 'in check.'

So to answer your question - take photographs of your journey to good health, Find and keep those 'before' pictures. I don't plan on 'falling off the wagon' - ever, but if I did, those pictures may have been that visual reminder of exactly how I looked and felt - a powerful, visual admonition that could 'shock' me back to reality.:smile:

Christine
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    All very good things to help prepare! Thankfully Because I have extremely high cholesterol my Doctor is having me start the presurgery diet now. So for 2 weeks I do a no sugar, no carb, no starches/ only lean meats, fruits, veggies, 2-3 serv dairy (which I only do almond milk, no dairy), 2 multivitamins per day. Then a week of a liquid diet which consists of 4 protien shakes, 3 fiber supplements, and 44 oz of 'other' liquid. And continue this 2:1 diet until insurance approves me in 4 1/2 months and then waiting for surgery date (which Im guessing will take like 1-2 months).

The only things that are hard to ween off of are of course the sugar and carbs. I stay away from them but like 1-2 times a week Ill have a meal that might have bread or beans or a cookie.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else said, but I'd add that I wish I had practiced "sipping" throughout the day, and taking smaller bites before surgery. It was hardest to get used to not gulping water (after surgery if you still have that habit it can be really uncomfortable). Especially if you're at the end of your day and realize you're a cup or two short on your liquids - you want to drink it quickly but you can't. For smaller bites - go buy yourself a set of baby food spoons/forks for right after surgery. When they say "small" bites at first, they mean EXTREMELY small. :)
  • TheMobileMom
    TheMobileMom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    All this advice is excellent. I was really glad I started exercising 5 days a week. I did jazzercise, which gave me cardio and weight training. Extra situps/crunches also helped in recovery.
  • sashahanrahan
    sashahanrahan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There is lots of great advice here. I'm just short of being a month out from surgery and I can honestly say I had no idea what to expect. I read and prepared myself the best I could, but I had no idea how psychologically challenging this process would be. I started the no starch, no carbonated, no caffeine, no sugar diet about 3 months prior to surgery, but I wish I would've practiced sipping water/fluids, eating smaller bites, and taking my time while eating. Don't be too hard on yourself after surgery, but stick to the program. Be sure to get those 64oz of fluid in. It's way harder now than I thought it would be.
  • Agate69
    Options
    3 years out it is still difficult to get 64 oz fluid in especially if I am busy.
  • shaynemkeeler
    Options
    i wish i would have practiced eating slower and smaller bites also to chew way more than usual im almost 2 weeks post op and haven't had any troubles except the first time i had oatmeal i didn't make it soupy enough and it got stuck after about a half hour to an hour of pains it finally slipped through good luck
  • KatheryneH13
    KatheryneH13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd practice chewing my food and putting the fork down after every bite. Its still tough for me to do that (I'm 1 month post-op) Also, practice not drinking anything while you eat, that's been difficult for me too.

Good luck!! :)