Caved this morning.

Options
I have only been going back to primal eating for the past two or three weeks, but after seeing a complete stall in weightloss I ended up caving this morning and making grits for breakfast (Bob's Red Mill Organic Polenta Grits). Then *of course* after I ate them I realized I hadn't weighed myself beforehand, decided to weigh myself and had lost a pound and a half (-_-). Which is good! Obviously! But I hated that I ate something I had wanted to avoid, all because I was worried primal was the reason for my weight not continuing to decrease.

I'm trying to stick to the primal thing (I do indulge in some white rice, but I have had no issues consuming it), but it's so hard because of how against the norm it is for me. I usually have a grain with every single meal, usually multiple servings at said meals, and going to none has just been....an adjustment.

Didn't really have a point to this, just need to vent a little bit to other people who are living this lifestyle because I figured you all would understand more than anyone else.

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    But I hated that I ate something I had wanted to avoid, all because I was worried primal was the reason for my weight not continuing to decrease.

Huh? Eating more/the same as you're burning is causing your weight not to decrease.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You're fearing fat, aren't you?

Fat, in and of itself, does not make you fat. Consuming more calories than you burn is what will make you gain weight, barring issues with insulin sensitivity or thyroid.

In fact, most people have issues keeping weight on once they've hit a healthy weight, due to the lower insulin and calorie levels, when doing any kind of LC/HF diet and have to increase their carbs to increase calories and insulin levels.

Switching to a LC/HF diet, such as Primal, will often result in an initial significant drop in weight. For some people, it's as much as 10lbs. This is almost entirely water weight, as you burn off glycogen (and the water it holds) without replacing as much. You weight will then appear to "stall out," but that's not really the case. Weight loss isn't linear, and you may go some weeks without losing anything (or even "gain" a pound or two, depending on what you've eaten or done over the week), before suddenly dropping a few pounds "all of a sudden." This is especially the case for women, whose hormone cycling will result in water retention and release throughout the month.

Don't worry about the scale weight so much, unless you go more than a month without seeing changes in either the scale or the tape measure (or how your clothes fit). If you do truly stall, then make sure you're eating the amount you're supposed to in order to lose weight at a reasonable pace, and keep close track for a while (weigh everything, etc) to make sure your logs are accurate.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    Huh? Eating more/the same as you're burning is causing your weight not to decrease.
    I wasn't saying that was the actual cause, I was saying I was fearing it was the cause because it was the only thing in my daily routine that had changed. Also, I was eating at a deficit and yet still seemed to be not losing anymore. Looking back I know that it's because it's right before "that time of the month," but at the time -- I didn't realize that and was very confused about why my weightloss seemed to stop. That's what I get for not keeping track of my period lol.
    You're fearing fat, aren't you?
    No, I eat a high fat diet now and ate more than enough before this. Though I will say that part of me still has that doubt (see my last comment to you in this post). I'm, as I mentioned, just having to get used to not eating grains...they used to be the basis of every.single.meal. Seriously...oats for breakfast (or corn grits), a huge plate of brown rice with lunch, and a good half of my plate (sometimes 3-4 cups) of barley with dinner. The thing is is I ate primal most of the time over the past two years, but I also wasn't trying to *lose* anything and wasn't paying attention to caloric intake which left me either gaining or maintaining (at an unhealthy weight). Once I stopped working where I was (which was the place I was able to get most of my local meat, organic veggies, etc) I went back to a diet of high carbs and a lot (A LOT) of grains. I'm so used to it now that the thought of getting completely rid of them is rough for me. I mostly just needed to vent about it :). It's totally an addiction, and a very hard one to break for me. Which makes things even worse because I'm typically the kind of person that if I set my mind to something -- I do it, succeed, and often times excel...but this one is HARD for me. I'm not used to that :-/
    Don't worry about the scale weight so much
    It's deciding to eat a different way than I was previously got me worried because as many stories as I've read about losing weight and being healthy eating this way, I've heard just as many stories about gaining weight or hitting a major plateau. And with the hard work I've done in the past few months to get back into the "healthy" range (the high end, but still...) I have been worried about basically ruining my hard work.
    Weight loss isn't linear, and you may go some weeks without losing anything (or even "gain" a pound or two, depending on what you've eaten or done over the week), before suddenly dropping a few pounds "all of a sudden."
    Yes, this was my issue! I know that this is how things tend to go, and I totally let it slip my mind that it is around that time of the month. I completely psyched myself out and instead of thinking, "Hey maybe there is a reason things have slowed down" I immediately went to, "Well, maybe it's because of what I'm eating now." I completely admit it's that mainstream-diet mentality that is holding me back. Even though I have read all the books, understand all the science, there is that little spot in the back of my mind that is full of doubt and says, "No, this won't work...and it's hard...why are you doing this to us?"
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    A stall in weight loss after only two or three weeks led to you eating foods that you know are not in line with the lifestyle you have chosen? Or is Primal only a temporary diet with a finish line where, when you reach it, you will resume eating as before?

All I can suggest is either fully commit to this lifestyle (forever) consistently and with enjoyment, or find something else more sustainable/suitable for you.

However, no matter the lifestyle you choose, you will not have weight loss consistently every single week. Perhaps setting other goals besides just the number on the scale would be beneficial for your long term success.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    A stall in weight loss after only two or three weeks led to you eating foods that you know are not in line with the lifestyle you have chosen? Or is Primal only a temporary diet with a finish line where, when you reach it, you will resume eating as before?

All I can suggest is either fully commit to this lifestyle (forever) consistently and with enjoyment, or find something else more sustainable/suitable for you.

However, no matter the lifestyle you choose, you will not have weight loss consistently every single week. Perhaps setting other goals besides just the number on the scale would be beneficial for your long term success.

I do have other goals :) In fact I am working on completing a Spartan Trifecta in 2014 :). As I said to someone above, "It's deciding to eat a different way than I was previously got me worried because as many stories as I've read about losing weight and being healthy eating this way, I've heard just as many stories about gaining weight or hitting a major plateau.

Prior to making this change I weighed myself *at most* once every week, usually once every couple of weeks. I've just become so accustomed over the past month to seeing a decrease in weight that seeing the number stay the same (or rather, it went up a little) just caught me off guard. And as I had also mentioned in my last comment (sorry to quote myself, just doing it for the sake of convenience)
    I completely psyched myself out and instead of thinking, "Hey maybe there is a reason things have slowed down" I immediately went to, "Well, maybe it's because of what I'm eating now." I completely admit it's that mainstream-diet mentality that is holding me back. Even though I have read all the books, understand all the science, there is that little spot in the back of my mind that is full of doubt and says, "No, this won't work...and it's hard...why are you doing this to us?"

This way of life (and yes I do plan to make it a lifestyle, not just some kind of short term diet) is just hard for me when over the past 6 months to a year I have based my whole diet around grains. I just came here to vent about it in hopes that maybe someone else would be able to say that they have been there, but that it gets easier with time. Oh well.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how easy it is to cave! ( funny pun on words!!) I feel so much better when I eat Paleo, I enjoy how I feel and that in and of itself should be enough motivation to not stray from the course. However, sugar and grains are a power draw and I find myself caving needlessly. It's especially tough this time of year!

I personally feel like these groups are for the exact purpose that you posted. You specifically said there was no point, but that you were looking to vent with like minded people. Not sure why everyone jumped on it. Geesh, we're all human. There is no reason someone who was just looking for support should find the need to defend themselves. Just my humble opinion.

Stay strong! You'll reach your goals in no time! :happy:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how easy it is to cave! ( funny pun on words!!) I feel so much better when I eat Paleo, I enjoy how I feel and that in and of itself should be enough motivation to not stray from the course. However, sugar and grains are a power draw and I find myself caving needlessly. It's especially tough this time of year!

I get the poops if I eat gluten, so no "caving" here.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I personally feel like these groups are for the exact purpose that you posted. You specifically said there was no point, but that you were looking to vent with like minded people. Not sure why everyone jumped on it. Geesh, we're all human. There is no reason someone who was just looking for support should find the need to defend themselves. Just my humble opinion.

FWIW, I (at least) wasn't intending to attack, though after reading this, it occurred to me that it may have been taken as such.

I generally respond to such emotions with over-rationalization, logic, facts, etc. It was meant to be...less cold...than it may have come off. More of a "hey, don't worry so much."
  • greenhudler
    Options

FWIW, I (at least) wasn't intending to attack, though after reading this, it occurred to me that it may have been taken as such.

I generally respond to such emotions with over-rationalization, logic, facts, etc. It was meant to be...less cold...than it may have come off. More of a "hey, don't worry so much."
    Oh no you're totally fine! If I remember correctly I even sent you a friend request and thanked you for your post :). I appreciated it, no worries!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hope you are doing well. I started grain free in 2012 and I have had my moments too. Just keep pushing on!!
  • janpuzzle31
    janpuzzle31 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am quite new to primal eating and I have had to accept that there will be occasional slip ups and that it is better to forgive yourself and move on rather than getting upset and ending up emotionally eating or thinking about ditching the plan altogether. I really hope that after an extended period of primal eating I won't want to eat non-primal foods, in the same way that I can't stand sugary drinks having given them up a long time ago. All the best to you.