Can I brag for just a second?

Options
Today, Christmas Eve, I ran for TWENTY UNINTERRUPTED MINUTES.

I know there are different C25K schedules based on which app you choose, but for me this was W7D1. I haven't run for that long all at once in a good decade- and before that I only did it once or twice when I tried C25K my freshman year of college. I was never an athlete- never played sports- so I never even ran in high school like most people. This is all new to me.

I absolutely cannot believe that in just seven weeks I went from barely running 60 seconds at a time to a full 20 minutes. My mind in blown. If all goes as planned, I'll complete this program in another two weeks and then move on to either the "5k Forever" app to work on increasing my speed or a 10k program. Not sure which direction to go yet.

Either way, I kind of feel like invincible today. Anyone else running today?

Replies

• jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That's well worth bragging on ! Well done!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    ???? that is such an amazing milestone. Unbelievable. Congratulations!!!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Terrific!! Congratulations!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's such a huge milestone. :drinker:
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You Rock!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That is truly something to brag about......and we want to hear it!
    Congratulations! That is such a wonderful accomplishment.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You can and definitely should brag about it! :happy:

Going through the same thing now. Started 2 months ago not being able to run 30 seconds. I'm now up to 25 minutes (w7d3). It really is amazing how fast our bodies can transform. I think if people would know how fast they can build up to 30 minutes of running, more people would take the plunge.

Out of curiosity, how fast do you run? I'm currently doing 5MPH (12:00 MIN/MILE). I just want to hear what other beginners are doing.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Phenomenal! It's a BIG DEAL run, and good for you for sharing your accomplishment with us, thanks!
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! This program is truly amazing, and it's so nice to have people to share it with during the triumphs and the struggles.
    Out of curiosity, how fast do you run? I'm currently doing 5MPH (12:00 MIN/MILE). I just want to hear what other beginners are doing.

I'm also running at 5.0 mph and 1.0 incline. I've been walking at 3.5-3.7 mph, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore since the walking intervals are over for me now. I picked 5.0 completely randomly, but it's worked well for me so far.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Brag away!!! Great job :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    i understand the need to brag, i did W6D3 on Tuesday and was able to keep up with the whole thing (22 min run with no walk breaks). I was beyond proud of myself, considering just 6 short weeks ago, I had difficulty running for 60 sec lol.

Congrats on your achievement BTW :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You can and definitely should brag about it! :happy:

Going through the same thing now. Started 2 months ago not being able to run 30 seconds. I'm now up to 25 minutes (w7d3). It really is amazing how fast our bodies can transform. I think if people would know how fast they can build up to 30 minutes of running, more people would take the plunge.

i'm currently at a 13min/mile pace, slow but sustainable for me at the moment. I feel like i can run for hours at this speed which is my immediate running goal: endurance. I'll work on improving speed later on.
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started over post-injury (bicycle vs. car) and am now on W3D3. It feels so good to be able to run! Congratulations!
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It's a great feeling! Keep it up!
    I finished C25K two weeks ago and have been working on running faster now... I'm also hanging around the 12 min mile mark give or take... my first 5K is on New Year's Day! Can't wait!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You all will drop minutes within a few months of finishing C25k as your body continues to adapt to running.

After a year, my easy run is now somewhere between 11:30 and 12:30, with my 5k race pace at 10:40 minutes per mile. I think I did the first 5 weeks of the C25k program at slower than a 20 minute mile.
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!! Brag away.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    AND, to continue with the bragging, today I ran for 25 straight minutes! That's more than 2 miles at my pace, most of it at a 1.0 incline. =)

It's funny, things in my life aren't going 100% great at the moment, but having this running thing to succeed at is really giving me a lifeline to cling to. Even when I'm feeling sad (like today), I get to kick my own butt at the gym and feel like a million bucks for at least a few minutes. It's such a wonderful distraction. I'm maybe starting to see how running (or just exercise in general) can be so addicting and such a positive force in one's life.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's funny, things in my life aren't going 100% great at the moment, but having this running thing to succeed at is really giving me a lifeline to cling to. Even when I'm feeling sad (like today), I get to kick my own butt at the gym and feel like a million bucks for at least a few minutes. It's such a wonderful distraction. I'm maybe starting to see how running (or just exercise in general) can be so addicting and such a positive force in one's life.

Yes. And running (for me) becomes so much more...discovering limits and then finding out they are self-imposed or conquerable..again and again. It makes me question what my real potential is in other areas and what I might be holding back because I don't think I can.
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Today, Christmas Eve, I ran for TWENTY UNINTERRUPTED MINUTES.

I know there are different C25K schedules based on which app you choose, but for me this was W7D1. I haven't run for that long all at once in a good decade- and before that I only did it once or twice when I tried C25K my freshman year of college. I was never an athlete- never played sports- so I never even ran in high school like most people. This is all new to me.

I absolutely cannot believe that in just seven weeks I went from barely running 60 seconds at a time to a full 20 minutes. My mind in blown. If all goes as planned, I'll complete this program in another two weeks and then move on to either the "5k Forever" app to work on increasing my speed or a 10k program. Not sure which direction to go yet.

Either way, I kind of feel like invincible today. Anyone else running today?

WOW!!! I do my first 20 minute run on Saturday (week 6 day 3 of Ease into 5k). You have truly inspired me!!! WAY TO GO!!!!