Goals/Frustrations

Options
Shizzman
Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
I know I'm not alone in having skills, elements, etc that I'd like to be able to add to what I can do, be better at, be stronger, etc. A great example for me would be muscle ups, I can kip a bar muscle up although it could definitely be better...I'd really like to be able to get muscle ups on rings along with being able to do bar muscle ups strict (and learning to kip ring muscle ups after getting strict).

Anyone have suggestions or have something that they'd like to get (or get better at)?

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I still can't even kick-up into a handstand, so that's 1 goal for 2014. Even if I don't get HSPUs, just kicking up and controlling back down in WODs is my goal.

My other goal is to be able to do doubleunders in wods.

Those are the two skills that I want to focus on next.
  • Bella_DiVine
    Bella_DiVine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I cant do handstands either, so will be working on that. Would like to get a 100kg deadlift before the end of the year. I want to perfect my kipping as well....and my snatch needs some work. I have a busy year ahead of me :-)
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Ok, glad I'm not the only one that can't do handstands. Everyone in my classes at the box can do handstands (some still working on HSPU) so I thought I was just being the odd one. Course, I never did them as a kids so that may have something to do with it, lol.

I just started crossfitting 6 weeks ago so everything needs work. Deadlifts, abmat sit-ups, and kettlebells swings are pretty much the only moves I've "mastered". Granted, I need to work on increasing weights, but very rarely do I get corrected on form.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My first goals for 2014 are to be able to do a strict pull up with no resistance bands, and to be able to do full T2Bs - I can pretty much do knees to elbows in most WODs but can't quite get the last bit of that movement.
    Also haven't been happy with my back squat in a long time. Used to be able to squat about 10kg more than I am now and not sure what happened to my strength - seem to have lost my squatting mojo so I'm working on getting that back and then getting even better.
    Everything else - double unders, HSPUs, other lifts, etc - I'm pretty happy with and is continually getting easier and better, but I'm sure I'll find other things I'm not happy with once I get the above things under control.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    My fitness goal for 2014 is less defined: simply put, I want to maintain my level of fitness and weight while preparing to transition out of the military.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Strict muscle up, though I'm reaaallly close.
    50 unbroken double unders, current best is 39
    2 min handstand hold, current best 1:15
    40" box jump, at 35 now
    I need more strict pullups
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    Oh, and I need to work on Kipping my toes to bars
  • Shizzman
    Options
    For gymnastics skills might I suggest checking out gymnastics WOD along with the CrossFit journal. It at least can help with a little bit towards understanding the skill (especially with some progressions).
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    For gymnastics skills might I suggest checking out gymnastics WOD along with the CrossFit journal. It at least can help with a little bit towards understanding the skill (especially with some progressions).

I do! I spend quite a bit of time on gymnastics wod lol. Next weekend I have my CF gymnastics certification, super stoked, pretty sure I'll get my muscle up there
  • Shizzman
    Options
    Are you doing the Gymnastics Cert at Impavidus? I know at least a couple people doing that one (and a few people at that affiliate). Also I'm thinking once I finish paying off student loan debt I'll see about getting my L1 and start getting certs (plus I'll have saving well setup).
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I have been doing Crossfit for a while, but I still struggle with a lot of movements... So, my three goals for this year are to get toes-to-bar, be able to kick up into a handstand, and to successfully string together 10 double unders.
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    Are you doing the Gymnastics Cert at Impavidus? I know at least a couple people doing that one (and a few people at that affiliate). Also I'm thinking once I finish paying off student loan debt I'll see about getting my L1 and start getting certs (plus I'll have saving well setup).

Yes! How cool
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My CF goals:

Double unders
    Improving my snatch technique
    Getting faster
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I wish I had advice for y'all but 6 months into CF I still don't feel quite "worthy" to offer legit advice yet!

That being said, my 2014 CF goals:

-Free standing hand-stand (by default, improve my core balance and stability)
    -String together double unders
    -Drastically improve my snatches and OHS
    -Murph at RX
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    A clue for getting your HSPU is your Push Press. If you can't Push Press near/at your BW then you aren't ready for an unmodified HSPU.

My 2014 GOAT list is:
    • Double Unders
    • 135# Snatch (not Power Snatch)
    • 200# Clean (not Power Clean)
    • 300# Deadlift
    • 300# Back Squat
    • Frog Stand

I'm 46. :wink:
  • MUALaurenClark
    Options
    A clue for getting your HSPU is your Push Press. If you can't Push Press near/at your BW then you aren't ready for an unmodified HSPU.
    No no no. don't let this lie limit you!

The range of motion in a HSPU is far less that that of a push press. It's the equivalent of holding a barbell at the top of your head and then pushing up. Your muscles can handle a lot more weight when less range of motion is involved.

I can do 10+ unbroken strict HSPUs, but can only push press about 2/3 of my body weight.
  • jordymils
    Options
    No no no. don't let this lie limit you!

The range of motion in a HSPU is far less that that of a push press. It's the equivalent of holding a barbell at the top of your head and then pushing up. Your muscles can handle a lot more weight when less range of motion is involved.

I can do 10+ unbroken strict HSPUs, but can only push press about 2/3 of my body weight.

True.
    When you start thinking about deficit HSPUs, THAT'S when it will be more relevant to your push press weight as you're getting the same depth in the movement (depending on the level of deficit, of course).
  • jordymils
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips, tricks or supplemental programs for getting T2Bs? I figured out a while ago that I was focusing too much on the swinging action of my shoulders through the movement, rather than kicking my legs up and letting the swinging movement come naturally, but I still can't get a full T2B and it's driving me crazy!!
    Is it just because I'm not strong enough in my core? Are there any other movements, on or off the bar, that might help me get the right movement pattern for a full T2B??
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips, tricks or supplemental programs for getting T2Bs? I figured out a while ago that I was focusing too much on the swinging action of my shoulders through the movement, rather than kicking my legs up and letting the swinging movement come naturally, but I still can't get a full T2B and it's driving me crazy!!
    Is it just because I'm not strong enough in my core? Are there any other movements, on or off the bar, that might help me get the right movement pattern for a full T2B??
    We just did Open 13.3 this morning (with T2B). I barely had them in March. I could touch 1X for about every 10X I tried. But, I got them a few weeks later. Now I am trying to master stringing them together. I come down and have to do a small swing to get me to the next one. I had to practice practice practice for one thing. Also, be sure you are engaging your shoulders and pushing back off the bar as your feet come up. And, the other thing that a lot of people at my box do is to 'flick' your legs at the top until you can do them more like a V-sit. It seemed to help that last few inches until you get the core strength. Good Luck!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I set 2 goals for 2013:
    185# backsquat (+50#) ===> got to 175 (a/o last week)
    200# deadlift (+55#) ===> got to 195 (a/o yesterday)

i got SOOOOOO CLOSE!!! i really think i would've gotten that 200# on my deadlift if i didn't get sick this last week. oh well. i'm not disappointed b/c i still made some AWESOME progress!

as for 2014, my crossfit goals are:
    *double unders: string together double under & do them in WODs
    *HSPU: i can only walk my feet up the wall at the moment, i want to be able to kick into a handstand w/o clumsily crashing onto my head. lol.
    *T2B: get my toes to touch the freaking bar! i'm soooooooooo close

strength goals:
    *Back squat: 215#
    *deadlift: 235#
    *clean: 160# (currently 130#)
    *snatch: 120# (currently 90#)

here's to an awesome new year full of great WODs and PRs!!! :drinker: