Let's talk about something other than food or exercise

Options

Replies

• bubbliemae
    Options
    Hi I'm Donna, This has been so much fun reading about all of you all!
    Well lets see, I'll be 50 in Sept. I have no luck in marriage and have been single for a little over 10 years, I have 2 children, my daughter is going to be 31 in just a few days, and my son is 29. 2 beautiful grandchildren. Spending time with my family, is what brings me joy.
    I do hair in a senior community, and I absolutely love my job! My customers are great, we have so much fun. My hours are a stylists dream, and I am my own boss, who doesn't like that, lol.
    For fun I like to travel, love the ocean. I like working at making my yard pretty. I really enjoy cooking, crafts, decorating. I like all music, singing is a passion! I have a crazy sense of humor, I think laughing really is the best medicine!
    My furbaby is Kalli, she is the sweetest kitty IN THE WORLD and the most beautiful! I recued her 1 yr ago, and she is my little girl!
    Nice meeting all of you, thank you all for sharing a bit of yourselves and you lives!
  • tumblindice
    tumblindice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wonderful ladies you all are!

I'm in Portland, Oregon! Will be 58 (yikes) in Sept.
    Married 38 years.
    I'm the "dredded" Detention room Supervisor in a middle school. I love my job! (I say that now, cause it's summer break).
    Rolling Stones Fan.
    Grandmother
    Atheist
    part time writer
    Think Adrien Brody is one hot guy. (just because we're on a diet, doesn't mean we can't look at the menu....right?)
    I hope to retire in a couple of years and want to be in great shape by then!

Who your favorite author and why?? let's get a conversation started!
    Best wishes to all!
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Think Adrien Brody is one hot guy. (just because we're on a diet, doesn't mean we can't look at the menu....right?)

Robin Thicke does it for me. Perhaps because his father did, and still does.
  • Vick53
    Options
    I just turned 54 and have been married for 35 years (I can't believe those numbers). We have 5 kids ranging in age from 21 thru 30. The youngest 2 are in university, 3 oldest thru school and married with children. I am the proud grandma of a 3 yr old grand daughter and 3 grandsons under 1 year. I work as an IT manager at a financial institution and my husband left a similar career 2 years ago to start his own landscaping and pool maintenance company. We have a home in the country and I love to roam with my German shepherd. With work and a very busy family life I don't seem to have much time for hobbies but I do like to read. This is an awesome thread. What a diverse and interesting group!
  • padisneyfour
    Options
    Welcome!!!:flowerforyou:
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many of us live in the country! I will be turning 53 soon, and also live out in the country on an old farm way up in the U.P. of Michigan. Our house is around 100 years old, and many people have lived there before us. It's kind of weird to think about that. My husband and I have been married for 22 years. We have three sons. They are 16, 18, and 20. Can't believe it. Where did the years go? The oldest has been moved out for two years already, and lives about 550 miles away now. I miss him, but thanks to modern technology I can talk with him and email him as much as I want. My other two live at home. One is in 11th grade and is taking one college class, the other is also in college. I work at the university here. I have been there for 25 years now.

I am an animal lover. I currently have 4 birds and 4 guinea pigs. I also love to camp, read, cook and bake. Part of the reason I'm overweight, of course.

It is interesting to read about all of you. Great idea for a thread!

Lisa
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Count me in as another animal lover. We have five cats from a feral colony, had them fixed and moved them to the country where they think it's Kitty Disneyland. The oldest is about 15 years old and he scrambles up the oak trees like a kitten. It's heartwarming to watch them prowl the property knowing they'd be living in fear, starving or dead by now.

This month is the hummingbird migration. We have about a dozen feeders, all full of birds. I uploaded a youtube video of some of them hanging around one of the feeders. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJw96pzcXXI

When I'm not mixing sugar water for the birds, I'm in the shop etching glass. My gift to myself for sticking to and achieving my goals. I have a Facebook page if anyone wants to see. Soon as I get 100 people to like the page I'll toss the names in a hat and send the winner a custom piece, whatever they want. https://www.facebook.com/rabbitrunroad
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Your work is beautiful, OhLeita!
  • susiechange
    Options
    I live in Stockport, near Manchester, England with my husband of 8 years, who is the love of my life. We met online 9 years ago, it was really love at first sight when we met in real life ! We have 2 sons, a daughter-in-law and a grandson, who is 2 and really cute and funny. We love to go walking in the parks and countryside near to where we live, and we are great animal lovers - we had 2 cats between us, but they have passed away now sadly - I don't know if I could get another pet yet, I still feel too sad from Monty dying this summer. My husband works as a job coach with young people who have disabilities, I am at home mostly painting and crafting, and I help out at an art club for disabled people. I also paint and make craft items for our local Cats Protection charity. You can see my work on susieparry.co.uk, if you are interested, and want to see some of the things I made for the Cats Protection - under the "Cats" category. I love to paint and listen to classic fm, I find it really relaxing. I am really an absolute worrier, and try to stop myself from that, but it is hard, as my son has long-term health problems, as does my elder brother. But we carry on and try not to stress. It has been lovely to read about all of you, especially about all the great wildlife you get to see where you live - great ! :smile:
  • susiechange
    Options
    Hi Leita, just looked at your glass etchings on your facebook page, they are great :smile: I especially liked the cat and the tree design - good luck with the page!:flowerforyou:
  • mommobile96
    mommobile96 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello I live in the beautiful state of Minnesota. I am a mom of 4, grandma,of 3, girl scout leader, Sunday school teacher, daycare provider, taxi service for my teens and their friends, and wife of 20 years. We also have 7 European kids and 1 European grandchild. We have really enjoyed hosting students for the school year. My goal as a second grader was to have 96 kids hence my name. I love to read and be outside. We also have 2 Springer dogs and 2 cats which keep me busy. It will be great reading about everyone's challenges and more importantly their successes. I love to bake and am looking forward to making Lefsa and hard tack this year for Christmas. Fortunately I only like Lefsa fresh off the grill so no worries on eating too much.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and have been married for 3 1/2 glorious years. We live on a 100 acre farm in Peterborough, Ontario. I was a city girl until I met my husband. He has lived on the farm for over 30 years but, started coming to the farm when he was just 5 years old.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Sounds like a wonderful place to live. I've lived out in the country myself for over 20 years now.
    I'm 53 and have been married for 3 1/2 glorious years. We live on a 100 acre farm in Peterborough, Ontario. I was a city girl until I met my husband. He has lived on the farm for over 30 years but, started coming to the farm when he was just 5 years old.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love reading about each of you! I'm Lucy, happily divorced and single for 14 years. When my youngest was 6 months old her dad decided it was too much work and out he went. He's turned out to be a great dad and a great ex and we get along perfectly (now that we don't live together).. I've spent most of the last 14 years raising my amazing kiddos. I have a son in college who lives at home and my daughter is a freshman in high school. I know I'm going to blink and they will be gone. THEN I'm ditching this house, buying myself a condo, and dating my fool head off. I just hope Robert Downy Jr. is available at that time lol.

I live just north of Dallas, Texas. By day I work in property management for a commercial real estate firm in Dallas and I LOVE my job! When I'm not at a kid function (I am a bandmom) I try and knit a little and catch up on missed tv shows. I'm also an avid reader and read every night before I go to bed. I have 2 dogs, and 3 cats. It's a zoo at my house.
  • jobarker56
    jobarker56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am 57 years old, married for 33 years to a wonderful man! We live on the north side of Shuswap lake, Anglemont in British Columbia. We are trying to sell our house(for the last 3 years!), we want to full time RV and have lots of plans when that happens. We have two grown Children, a son who is married and has 2 boy's, and a daughter who is married and has 2 girl's. We are very blessed to have a loving family. We try to see our grandchildren as much as possible, but it is sometimes difficult because they live in Alberta. This summer I bought a Stand Up Paddle Board and have had loads of fun on it. While we are waiting for our house to sell we enjoy the area we live in to the fullest!
  • padisneyfour
    Options
    welcome!I love reading about everyone !!
  • kathyt08069
    kathyt08069 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    wow there are some fantastic women in this group. Let me tell you a little about myself. My husband and I are in a second marriage, we both married too young and didn't know much about life the first time around. We have been married ten years, have 2 daughters and two sons ranging in age from 35 to 25. Everyone is grown and on their own so we have three dogs and three cats to keep us company. My 83 year old father also lives with us so life is never dull. We also have three grandsons and one granddaughter ranging in age from 12 to 2 years old. We have great relationships with our ex's which is important. We are able to attend family functions together and no one gets left out. We haven't vacationed together yet but I see that happening at some point.

I love to cook (and eat) and belong to a cooking group. We meet monthly and try different recipes. We also formed a book club and enjoy lively conversations about the books we read while drinking wine and snacking. Yes, there is a lot of food in my life which is why I am here trying to keep it all under control.

I work full time and manage to find time for my family and friends. I live near the ocean in New Jersey and could not imagine not living near the water. I love long walks on the beach and boardwalk; summer is my favorite time of year. I hope to retire someday and move to Florida where it is warm and sunny most of the time. I am always looking for new friends so I hope if you like my story you will add me to your friend list.
  • Vanillacoffee54
    Vanillacoffee54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! So much fun meeting all of you! I'm 55 yrs old, live in South Carolina in a little house in the "burbs". Been married 29 yrs, three kids. Older two are married and moved out, youngest is 17 and still home. We have two dogs of our own and we're currently keeping three more while my son and daughter in law are away for Christmas. I don't have any grandchildren yet but I do have six grand-dogs. My faith in Christ is the biggest influence on my life. In my spare time I love to read cozy mysteries or get on Pinterest. Lately I've become obsessed with scented wax warmers!
  • BOC57
    BOC57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What a great way to get to know everyone.

I'm 56 , married 30 years and the mother of 2 grown men who are now both married and out on their own. I work part time as a massage therapist, love to bird watch and envy all of you country folk who are out there living on 10+ acres and enjoying nature. I live in the suburbs outside of Raleigh, NC but own a small piece of land out in the Smokey Mountains which I am looking forward to retiring to in about 10 years. I enjoy reading and music and am trying to get back to enjoying more active pursuits such as walking, hiking and canoeing.
  • laughingladyb
    laughingladyb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of five kids ages, 29, 25, 22, 20, and 17. Their father and I divorced after almost 28 years of marriage. He had a problem with his marriage vows and drinking... When we divorced I still had 3 kids living at home and now I am down to just the 17 year old.

This past year has been filled with more stress than I thought possible but just when you think there cannot be anything to top the last thing something more comes along. sheesh

I was a stay at home mom for 19 years and went to work when my youngest was in K/1st grade. I got a part time job in our local school district so that I would be home when the kids were home. That part time job has morphed into a full time job still with the breaks off but only 6 weeks in the summer off. I work in the school office and absolutely love it.

I am originally from Indiana and go back for a week or two in the summers to see my parents. Fishing with my dad, shooting guns, hanging out with my mom and seeing old friends.

Here at home I am on the computer way too much...:)

Belinda