New, 48 & need to lose 50lbs for bypass surgery.

Options
Hello,

Before you judge or comment. Please listen to my story, I'm 48 and from the UK. I've always been overweight from a young age, but lost weight with both of my pregnancy's. I have a number of health issues, including lipidemia. I'm also unable to move due to huge lumps at the back of my legs from the lipidemia. I'm basically house and scooter bound. Luckily I don't suffer from diabetes at the weight I am. I'm currently 199kg.

My daughters nearly 20, left home but lives around the corner to be able to support me and I have an autistic son aged 16 who's currently in a boarding school but once he's 19 he'll need to come home and be cared for. Its not bad but he'll always need a career/support around and I want that to be myself. But in my current state? It's impossible.

I've previously tried slim-fast, weight watches and honestly its never worked. So now I see this as a glimpse of hope, to lose weight and to be able to look after my son. But also to see my daughter become a mother one day and help her.

Yesterday, my daughter and I attended our hospital for the 1st stage of bypass surgery. Seeing a dietitian and surgeon, they agree its a good option due to medical reasons and my son. But one thing you have to do solo is lose 10% of your own body weight before surgery and 4 weeks before surgery do a liver shrinking diet of 100cals a day. So my daughter recommended MyFitnessPal as she currently uses it herself. Also for me to do walking with her while having my scooter available to sit down when needed.

To be honest? I'm proud of myself, yesterday.. I walked for 10mins straight in the hospital. It killed me, but I did it and that's a sign that I can do this as-well. Although afterwords I was knackered and my poor daughter had to pull me around for the rest of the day. I'm so thankful for her and her support.

So here I am, here to lose 50 lbs (10%). I don't know when my surgery will be but may as well start now right? If I lose more.. even better. But this is my hope and I will do this.

I'll also be starting Monday as I need to explain this to my son, who come's home tomorrow and I want him to understand before I do it.

Would also like a support group of friends to keep me motivated, my daughters one.

But thank you for reading.

Sarah x

Replies

• rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good for you for looking at this in such a realistic way. It was a year ago when I had the "serious" talk with my doctor because my diabetes was getting out of control. I lost 20 lbs prior to surgery, and over 50 more since. Starting to change your attitude, then your food and your activity level, and staying with this direction for the long haul will truly make a difference. My Fitness Pal has been a great touchstone for me every day, even when I'm not on track. The encouragement, stories, and frustrations of others help me to feel part of a bigger community, and not that alone and helpless trap that I used to fall in to. You are courageous and wonderful, and your children are blessed to have you as their mom!
  • Rindabu
    Rindabu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You'll find no judgement here. I think it is awesome that you're taking such a huge step towards a healthier you. I have a brother and a son with autism. I know how challenging it is to deal with, but you also wanting to lose weight so you can take care of your son is so beautiful. I know you can do it, and i'm sure everyone here will support you whenever you need it. :)
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No judgment here!!! This is a place where we understand and are here for everyone. Many of us have been there. I am 14 months post gastric bypass. Prior to my surgery I couldn't walk to my mailbox--about 20 steps out my front door. I am a type I diabetic and I was on over 155 units of insulin a day. I was using a cpap machine at night and was told by my doctors I had "reached the point of no return." At this point, my 20 year old son (now 22) talked to my endocrinologist about weight loss surgery. He was very helpful because I am hearing impaired. It was a long road because my insurance denied me 3 times. I was already using MFP so I was on the right track. I had actually decided, after my 3rd denial that I would just do it without the surgery--maybe it wasn't meant to be. Then out of the blue I got a call that my approval came through. My surgeon got the notice a week before I got my letter.
    It has changed my life and everything has been for the better. I've had no complications--unless you count a little constipation (TMI) but it is something that happens when you don't get enough fluids or fiber--a common thing after surgery.
    I also have a son who is disabled. He has atypical autism or more correctly, PDD-NOS. He is not low functioning, but still needs a lot of support in other ways. I am so glad to be here for my sons--they are now 24, 22, and 21 years old. They are my support and have been my rock.
    So, no judgment on this end and probably not from anyone in this group! The forums, however, a different story. Too many people are very judgmental where surgical weight loss is concerned. Lots of misconceptions about it being the "easy way out." I promise you, that it is NOT the easy way out. We have to work just as hard, if not harder!
    Good luck to you and I hope that everything works out for you!
    If you would like a friend who can support you along the way, feel free to add me as a friend. I'm on here daily and log all my food. I've logged every day now for 616 days in a row.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No judgement here either. Support is an essential element to success. It's awesome that your daughter is on board and you can count on the people who frequent this board too. Feel free to add me as a friend. Looking forward to hearing from you as you continue your journey.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Rest assured, Sarah x This is a NO JUDGEMENT ZONE. We have all walked in your shoes, some many more miles/years than you. I hate the phrase 'been there. done that' but there are many friends here who share in your feelings. Our group focus is support. The Bariatric Surgery choice is not an easy fix. It is a long hard process with many hills to climb and pits to fall into. If something happens, share it, good or bad, happy or sad. Chances are someone has experienced it and can share in it with you. We are happy you are here, and hope you continue to reach out for and also provide support - its catharsis at it's best. Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I believe we all wish it were easy but in fact it is a difficult road towards lasting change. Weight Loss Surgery (WSS) is a tool, not magic. It gives us the jump start we need to get rolling and provides us with behavior modification to help us maintain. Seeing the early weight come off provides the motivation to continue. The reduced stomach pouch helps us regulate food intake (eat too much get sick - learn). Once the ball starts rolling it's up to us to choose to eat healthy food, exercise and maintain a healthy lifestyle. It takes 21 days to for a habit, the WSS helps us start the good habits and break the bad. After that it's diet and exercise - just like everyone else. No easy way, no magic fat removal wand - just hard work and great results.

Now there is one major downside - if I am not careful my pants fall off.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Dearest Sarah....
    NO JUDGEMENT here either... Well done for taking the first steps... I am now 4 months post surgery and have lost 36kg.... it can be done - although not easy, but that is why you have a support group here with us!
    Please feel free to send a friend request to me!
    Hang in there... and please write to me anytime - I am here for you!!!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I had RNY in 2009 - please know we are here to support you! Don't ever hesitate to come to the group with questions, concerns, victories or just a friendly ear. You will learn quickly that the forums are not a friendly place, but there are MANY MANY friendly people here and you just need to find them.

Spend some time reading the success story thread in the groups dedicated to Bypass/Band and Sleeve. You will be inspired and motivated even more. You can be successful like we have been. Much love, and best wishes. :heart:
  • skatermom503
    Options
    You are making a good decision. I was in the same position and had to lose about 50# pre-op.You can do it. I drank protein shakes 6 days a week and then ate whatever I wanted 1 day. It helped that my daughter was dieting then too. I wish you well and know you can do this. Bless you and your family.
  • drewgirl56
    drewgirl56 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No judgment here! I'm only 29, and surgery became an option for me when my weight started keeping me from doing normal things. Due to respiratory issues caused by the weight, I'm having trouble exercising too. My advice is to stick to the calorie and protein guidelines your surgeon and nutritionist give you, and to pay attention to your portion sizes. And pay attention to the numbers! I'm pre-op, and I've already reached a point where I don't feel hungry nearly as much as I used to. I hand-wrote my food journal when I first started--and I couldn't believe I was eating as much as 5000 calories per day! I started with substitutions. For example, I was on a kick where I LOVED oreos and wanted them every single day. I could eat a whole row out of the package in one sitting (which is about 650 calories). Add the whole milk I was drinking at the time, and the total calories for my "snack" was over 1300 calories. When it was time to make a change, I switched from whole to skim milk, and instead of buying the big package of oreos I bought the to-go cups of mini oreos. The cups were about 420 calories, and I poured my milk right in, which also helped cut down how much I drank. It's still a high-calorie snack (about 550 cals), but it cut the calories I was getting in half, which was a good start. If you don't out-and-out deprive yourself of the things you love, soon enough you will take a bite of some of the things you just eat out of habit and realize that they're really not worth all of the calories you'll consume by eating them. Also, plan something to do for a few minutes right after you eat. I play a few games of solitaire on my computer. When you first start out on this journey you will finish eating and feel like you're still starving. By taking this break, you'll give your stomach a chance to catch up and make you feel as full as you really are.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Do what it takes to lose the 50 pounds. Don't make excuses, log every bite. You deserve this!!

I am 47. We have a lot of living left to do!!
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Before you judge or comment. Please listen to my story, I'm 48 and from the UK. I've always been overweight from a young age, but lost weight with both of my pregnancy's. I have a number of health issues, including lipidemia. I'm also unable to move due to huge lumps at the back of my legs from the lipidemia. I'm basically house and scooter bound. Luckily I don't suffer from diabetes at the weight I am. I'm currently 199kg.

My daughters nearly 20, left home but lives around the corner to be able to support me and I have an autistic son aged 16 who's currently in a boarding school but once he's 19 he'll need to come home and be cared for. Its not bad but he'll always need a career/support around and I want that to be myself. But in my current state? It's impossible.

I've previously tried slim-fast, weight watches and honestly its never worked. So now I see this as a glimpse of hope, to lose weight and to be able to look after my son. But also to see my daughter become a mother one day and help her.

Yesterday, my daughter and I attended our hospital for the 1st stage of bypass surgery. Seeing a dietitian and surgeon, they agree its a good option due to medical reasons and my son. But one thing you have to do solo is lose 10% of your own body weight before surgery and 4 weeks before surgery do a liver shrinking diet of 100cals a day. So my daughter recommended MyFitnessPal as she currently uses it herself. Also for me to do walking with her while having my scooter available to sit down when needed.

To be honest? I'm proud of myself, yesterday.. I walked for 10mins straight in the hospital. It killed me, but I did it and that's a sign that I can do this as-well. Although afterwords I was knackered and my poor daughter had to pull me around for the rest of the day. I'm so thankful for her and her support.

So here I am, here to lose 50 lbs (10%). I don't know when my surgery will be but may as well start now right? If I lose more.. even better. But this is my hope and I will do this.

I'll also be starting Monday as I need to explain this to my son, who come's home tomorrow and I want him to understand before I do it.

Would also like a support group of friends to keep me motivated, my daughters one.

But thank you for reading.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah,

Just wondering how you are doing?

Thinking of you!

Daisy