Newbie looking for Advice ...

katmarsc
katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
I am female, 50, 5'4" and weigh 167 lbs. my goal weight is 150. As with many the last 15 or so lbs have been challenging.

I've been on a primal diet for 70 days. I have cut out sweets and processed foods 10 years ago, so I basically removed wheat, grains and legumes. I eat about 1300 calories a day, about 65 grams of gross carbs, about 70 grams of fat, and 100 grams of protein a day. I log my food in MFP daily. My diary is public if you want to view. I struggled with eating enough. Still not sure if my intake is correct. I have reduced my fruit intake and try to eat only with protein.

I just began walking for exercise. I also use the elliptical now and then..

From cutting out grains, beans, I had expected to at least lose a few pounds. I have lost 10 lbs the first two weeks and then nothing.. No measurement change either. My DH says he notices my body composition changing, but I do not.

full disclosure:I have Hashimoto Thyroid was on Synthroid but finally taking Armour for the past two months, Still working on the right dosage -alternating dosages daily. I just reintroduced eggs- but limit intake to 3 week. I don't eat night shades.

I do not eat Paleo sweets, breads, etc. I do feel more energetic, although I still wake up at 3:00 every morning then fall back to sleep.

Any ideas, support you can provide. I appreciate. I also need some help with motivation and advice on my food diary.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    10 pounds is a huge loss especially with so little to lose. As you know it's not linear. I go weeks and weeks with no loss on the scale now, totally normal.

It sounds like you are doing well and be patient. Perhaps try eating more fat, a little less carbs, and maybe just a bit less protein (I eat 70-80% fat generally) and few more calories. Sometimes our body gets accustomed to running on less calories and conserves accordingly. I know everyone screams "it's only calories in and out" but the human body is far more complex than that, as we know.
  • Just embarking on paleo journey - I have been two weeks off bread and starchy carbs, but find myself craving bread! Ugh! I have succumbed to it, now feel headachy and bloated, but still have craving - any advice?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Just embarking on paleo journey - I have been two weeks off bread and starchy carbs, but find myself craving bread! Ugh! I have succumbed to it, now feel headachy and bloated, but still have craving - any advice?

You need to stop eating bread. No other way around it. Here are some no wheat low carb recipes that May interest you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/453964-low-carb-muffin-in-a-minute

Good luck.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Just embarking on paleo journey - I have been two weeks off bread and starchy carbs, but find myself craving bread! Ugh! I have succumbed to it, now feel headachy and bloated, but still have craving - any advice?

Stay away from the bread, and possibly increase your fat and decrease your carb intake. For some people, any kind of carbs triggers more carb cravings. Also, many people with sensitivities to things like wheat will crave them for up to a month after eating them last. This is due to how the body is reacting to it.
  • Thegle
    Thegle Posts: 41 Member

First of all, where are you getting your bread? Are you just buying a sandwich or buying a whole loaf? The idea is not to buy it but you could buy a gluten free or something made with nut-flours instead to satisfy the craving for now.

If you are eating outside of the home, then you will need to think ahead on what a good alternative is to that craving before it hits. It's easy for me now but believe me so tough at first.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Just my 2 cents; I too have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism however not Hashimoto Thyroid, which is much more complex from what I hear. I never was one to take medication, much to my Doctors regret but I do take Kelp tablets to strengthen my thyroids ability to produce the hormones the rest of my glands need and no longer need the Armor according to my Doctor. Some times people develop a resistance to the iodine that naturally occur in Kelp so you may want to talk to your Doctor before you start anything like this, I didn't, but I am a stubborn soul. I am looking forward to seeing him this year to see the results of this Paleo thingy and the major transformations to my blood work.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    have you read this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

I have to read it at least once a month. I'm at a weight where my body doesn't want to lose more. It's hard. Just keep fiddling around with numbers (staying long enough to track changes, at least 1 month) and drink plenty of water.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    have you read this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

I have to read it at least once a month. I'm at a weight where my body doesn't want to lose more. It's hard. Just keep fiddling around with numbers (staying long enough to track changes, at least 1 month) and drink plenty of water.

That is great advice. Something I need to remember. I think I might actually go and change my calorie ceiling now. I'm currently on 1500 calories but I'm 155 or thereabouts. According to his math I should be taking in about 1800 calories per day. These days I'm of the opinion that we need to feed our bodies to perform rather than the "norm" (as mentioned is hi piece) of starving ourselves and pushing our bodies to where we think we should be and expecting the best. Thanks for that post. What an eye opener!
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    This is some additional advice I received.. This may also be helpful to others...

"The waking up at 3AM is a common sign of too few carbs. You might try the trick of a teaspoon of honey before bed, or eating some carbs before sleeping. Since you have Hashimotos, it's not a great idea to go very low carb for very long, if you do this, whatever T3 you produce will be the inactive form. Maybe aim for 100g of carbs/day, but keep it under 150g of carbs/day though try to get these from starches not sugar.
    Also, try raising your protein to 120-150g as well. The typical formula is 1g/1lbs of lean mass if you're working out - .8g/1lbs of lean mass if you're sedentary. So that's 120g of protein, not meat. To get to meat, it would be multiplied by 3 if it's very lean (i.e. chicken breast) or 4 if it's beef (so about 1lbs of beef a day), or alternatively 3 palm sized portions of meat/day.
    Your BMR is 1447 calories a day - as this is the amount you need to just be unconscious in bed, so you're undereating. Certainly you can expect to burn the rest from fat calories, but if your intake is too low, your metabolic rate will go down, which isn't what you'd want."

I made adjustments based that input, daily calories increased to 1500. Carbs / 113.0 g (30%) Fat/ 58.0 g.(35%) protein / 131.g (35%). I am more sedentary than active in these colder months.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I honestly don't think 35% fat is enough for ANYONE; we've been very mislead about fat. From everything I know and have experienced I would say 50% is a BARE minimum. I can't even function on 50%, but those who seem to need more starches may be able to. I also think 35% protein is unnecessarily high, unless one is a body builder etc. Trying different things is a great idea but if one is resistant to weight loss or struggling with hunger, depressing, fatigue…. or any number of health problems, low fat is NOT the way to go.

I don't have Hashimoto's but I know people who are very successful on a Paleo/Primal lifestyle and are still eating fairly low carb, at least by SAD standards. I know a few people with the disease that eat quite similar to me (high fat, mod protein, low carb), but I don't know their experience in detail of course. I'm assuming that they choose the eating plan that makes them feel the best-which is obviously what one should do regardless or my advice or any other. Experiment and make sure you keep a food journal. Kresser's "Your Personal Paleo Code" has great advice on how to isolate the effects of individual foods.

No, I disagree that low carb causes sleep disturbance or that eating a spoon of honey (pure sugar!) is a good solution. I sometimes eat nuts or fruit before bed though, but sometimes only protein/fat and sometimes nothing. Even without a snack, carb or otherwise, I sleep well but I generally avoid going to bed hungry. I do agree that under-eating slows metabolic rate.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    As a person with hypothyroidism, I whole heartedly agree that you should keep your carbs up. I do best at 75-125 grams a day, anything lower will mess with my T4 to T3 conversion. Also, making sure you get about 1500 calories is a good idea. If you exercise, "eat back" your calories.