January chat/natter/gossip thread

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
let's keep the conversation going with the real life stuff here!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah...almost 2014.

My dad's wife just gave me a new bench (she bought it 7 years ago and never used it).

It has the fly attachment, leg lifts, curls and lat pull attachment all using plates...Yahhhhh.

Looking forward to getting it in my workout room and perhaps add a few new lifts on my off days.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to all of the amazing women in this group !!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

I skipped my workout…feel like I partied, but was at work. Hope it's not the start of something.

One more shift, then get my new dog:) and spend a week at a cabin up north. No lifting, just cross country skiing, snowshoeing and sitting by a fire. Looking forward to it!
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Haven't gotten a workout in for a while either, and boy can I feel it. I actually had a dream I was working out though if that counts for anything. Just got home from family vacation and only have a couple of days before going on a ski trip too. Hope my legs haven't gotten too weak from not doing squats lately...gonna need that on the ski hill!!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Happy new year and woohoo on the new bench!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've missed heavy lifting so much these past few weeks I've been on vacation. Part of the trip was a cruise, which had a smith machine on it (sad no squat rack but i can see the danger with dumb people dropping heavy weights on a boat). I tried the smith machine, which was my first time since I have always avoided it, and could squat as much weight on there (and probably could have done more) as when I took a break several weeks ago. That's how much it helps you! At least it didn't give me any trouble so I know I squat on my own straight up and down...
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Got knocked off the plan by a month of GI issues related to my past surgery, then nasty asthma & bronchitis.

I think I will go back for a modified and abbreviated strong lifts (doing 3 compounds per workout), probably 3X5 to work back up.

I also need to get some cardio going- thinking about T25 vs. interval on the treadmill.

I really just want to stay healthy enough to make forward progress. My time off gave me my 3 pounds of fat back even though I tried to be careful. Sigh.

But, I am ready to go and get back at it.

Happy New Year to you all!!!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    No crèche for 2 weeks = no lifting either :cry:

I wonder what effect this will have had, if any, as I'm only just reaching failure now.

Need to work out when I can go too as I've booked onto a baby massage class that clashes with my Wednesday session.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! Tomorrow will be the first day of lifting for me in the new year. I didn't feel like battling bad roads (due to snow) this morning at 5am so tomorrow will be just as well. Plus I didn't want to take the chance that the gym might have been closed due to the snow as well.
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I need a kick to the head or butt or something...

A good friend of mine wanted to try weight lifting, so I met her at the gym last week and.... long story short, she lifted all of the same weights I lifted (warm up sets AND working weight) and probably could have lifted more and... sigh.... It really bothered me that she could lift so much as a total novice to weight lifting when it has taken me 3 months to work up to where I am on SL 5x5 (after several years of non-SL weight lifting).

Why does this bother me so much?? I know I shouldn't compare myself to anyone. She is taller than me and weighs more (not overweight, just overall larger than me), and is in great shape from skating and swimming. And she just walked in and squatted 100 pounds and probably could have done more. She does not get even close to parallel on squats because of bad knees. Is it easier when you don't go all the way down? Is that why she can do so much?

I don't want to let this demotivate me. (I know that is up to me.) I failed at squats and OHP and am currently deloading, so this is NOT a good time to start feeling all pouty about stuff like this. I'm hoping that complaining about it here will get it off my chest enough that I can let it go and stop comparing myself with anyone else...
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Why does this bother me so much?? I know I shouldn't compare myself to anyone. She is taller than me and weighs more (not overweight, just overall larger than me), and is in great shape from skating and swimming. And she just walked in and squatted 100 pounds and probably could have done more. She does not get even close to parallel on squats because of bad knees. Is it easier when you don't go all the way down? Is that why she can do so much?

Probably. I squatted 135lbs only 2.5 weeks into StrongLifts because my form was so high! Not good news for knees or lower back, though. I caught it and deloaded to 85-90lbs for a while until I was comfortable with good form (i.e., going to or below parallel).

As long as you're progressing - no matter how slowly! - you are getting stronger. Keep at it! :flowerforyou:
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And you are correct. I am stronger than I was 3 months ago, for sure!
  • violetrix
    violetrix Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine wanted to try weight lifting, so I met her at the gym last week and.... long story short, she lifted all of the same weights I lifted (warm up sets AND working weight) and probably could have lifted more and... sigh.... It really bothered me that she could lift so much as a total novice to weight lifting when it has taken me 3 months to work up to where I am on SL 5x5 (after several years of non-SL weight lifting).

I know exactly how you feel. I went with my friend to the gym last week and she barely touches weights but squatted 70kg right off the bat while I've been stuck at 55kg for a month! She's 7 inches taller than me and heavier than me so it's not that surprising that she can squat more. But I've decided to make this my new goal and turn it into a competition against her, we're both quite competitive so this is a great motivator
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Actually shorter people typically have an easier time squatting in general as they have better leverages.

People who don't use a full ROM can always do more weight though!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    debress yah don't compare yourself at all. Apples to oranges.

I will always be lifting heavier then most woman I know and even some guys...it's in my build size etc.

My sister tiny woman is gaining strenght but will probably never bench what I can now. She is a very tiny woman.

As long as you are progressing and lifting heavy for you that is all that matters.

As for the competition great idea...not based on weights but gains...love that idea wonder if DH will go for it..hehe..or my man child.

So my husband bought us a 30day couples membership for the gym for Christmas...waiting until we get back from holidays in Feb to use it tho...imagine all the NY's people in there now....AMG...
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Your thoughts, laydeez.. Would it be better to sticky a general chat thread rather than have a monthly one?
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Your thoughts, laydeez.. Would it be better to sticky a general chat thread rather than have a monthly one?

That actually is a pretty good idea. Would the same apply to the check in thread?
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I don't want to let this demotivate me. (I know that is up to me.) I failed at squats and OHP and am currently deloading, so this is NOT a good time to start feeling all pouty about stuff like this. I'm hoping that complaining about it here will get it off my chest enough that I can let it go and stop comparing myself with anyone else...

As a bigger woman she has to be stronger...otherwise she wouldn't be able to get off the toilet. How much would that suck? :wink:
    Joking aside though: It is easier to squat more if you are higher than parallel. Regardless of her knee issues, she should use good form or risk poor muscle development. I have knee issues and have dropped close to 75 pounds off of my squat to maintain my form. Meet your body where it is at and take it where you want it to be sister!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I have my first PT session this week to see if I can get rid of my wrist pain. I haven't lifted since early November and am anxious to get back to something other than walking...
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I have my first PT session this week to see if I can get rid of my wrist pain. I haven't lifted since early November and am anxious to get back to something other than walking...

Good luck, hope the wrist is OK :smile:

I have a comp on the 25th Jan so my strength coach reduced the volume of work leading up so I am lifting 3x a week instead of 4x but yet he somehow managed to squeeze in volume squats, speed squats, max squats and front squats!! I think he's trying to tell me I need to work at my squats lol :laugh: