Anyone else mentally feel fatter when Starting LCHF Diet?

Options
jhiggi83
jhiggi83 Posts: 27 Member
Started a LCHF diet yesterday and ended the day with 50g of carbs and 107g of fat. After playing with the keto calculator I decided to push the fat up to around 120g and the Carbs as close to 0 as possible. Started today with 4 scrambled eggs 6 jimmy dean sausage links and a half a serving of cheese. Total was 540 calories 36g of fat and 37g of protein This has kept me full for the last 4-5 hours but subconsciously I feel like all the fat intake is going to make me fatter or give me a heart attack. I know the sciance behind it an I realize that my subconscious is wrong but anyone else experience this starting out.

Replies

• LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    At first I thought the same thing but, the wieght loss has been so steady and better than anytime I had been on a HCLF diet, I do not question it anymore. It works for me. I told my doctor about it and I will be going in for blood work at the end of January.

Very quickly that fatter feeling went away because my belly was not so bloated. I do not have that pregnant look anymore :laugh:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Same here, I had to get over that mental block, too. I calmed my anxieties by buying lots of grass fed, free range meat, eggs, cheese, etc. The nutritional information on grass fed, free range foods are incredible. Then, just like Latinagordita mentions, I started noticing the weight coming off effortlessly, bloating going away, aches and pains going away, asthma subsiding, and my skin got real nice. You will likely notice your skin getting better. I was previously on a low fat diet, and it caused my skin to dry out (I needed to use all sorts of creams and moisturizers, even for my hair). Now, I no longer use cream, and I don't even need conditioner for my hair anymore. Adding natural fats back into my diet helped me a lot. Of course, be careful to eat natural fats only, as they are healthy, while the other stuff, like trans fats, are not.
  • jhiggi83
    Options
    My Grocery cart was pretty much sausage,bacon,eggs, real butter, full fat cheese, and various cuts of beef. I do find it difficult to keep sodium low on this diet though. I think its all the propaganda that we are force fed about how fat is the enemy that is lingering in my subconscious.
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had the same feeling in the first couple of weeks, but now I don't have that problem anymore :) And sodium is your friend when eating LCHF, so don't worry about it!
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Uugh yes! Seriously I was convinced that I would drop dead of a heart attack and or stroke after the first few days :laugh:

Between the fat and sodium it was terrifying. Now after a month I'm feeling fantastic and have no guilt when I drink my morning bulletproof coffee.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I do find it difficult to keep sodium low on this diet though.
    :huh: Why would you keep sodium low? Based on your size, you should be getting ~5,000 mg a day.

Salt is an electrolyte, and you're supposed to be *supplementing* those during keto. I mean, unless you enjoy endless, spirit-crushing headaches.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    My doctor was shocked when he saw how well my cardiovascular system improved. He said I have the heart of a teenage athlete :laugh:
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My doctor was shocked when he saw how well my cardiovascular system improved. He said I have the heart of a teenage athlete :laugh:

I had some blood panels done and my doc said my RBC was amazing, he called me Ms Hemoglobin lol

You are so right about how good it makes your skin look, I'm 43 and I've never had much wrinkling but did have a lot of patchy dryness. Overall it just looks dewier and feels petal soft. Can't stop looking in the mirror, it's like someone took a real life photshop tool to my skin.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I sincerely believe that what we are all learning with our keto successes is this:

THE FOOD PYRAMID DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYBODY.

And for those of us for whom it doesn't work... it REALLY doesn't work.
  • jhiggi83
    Options
    I do find it difficult to keep sodium low on this diet though.
    :huh: Why would you keep sodium low? Based on your size, you should be getting ~5,000 mg a day.

Salt is an electrolyte, and you're supposed to be *supplementing* those during keto. I mean, unless you enjoy endless, spirit-crushing headaches.

I always tried for less than 2000mg to prevent water retention but I was also eating a lot of carbs when I tried to keep it that low. Learn something new everyday
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I always tried for less than 2000mg to prevent water retention but I was also eating a lot of carbs when I tried to keep it that low.
    Even if you go out of your way to eat lots of table salt and foods containing potassium and magnesium, you will probably need to take supplements.

The minimum daily intake for the three main electrolytes while on keto is generally:
    -- 5000 mg of sodium chloride (salt)
    -- 1000 mg of potassium, in the form of potassium chloride or potassium sulfate
    -- 300 mg of magnesium

From the Keto FAQ -- http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    Learn something new everyday

That's what we're here for.
  • alohaLCHF
    Options
    I’ve had a similar experience. I tried cooking my eggs in a butter/olive oil combo instead of just olive oil and almost gagged on the butter – I think it was simply a far richer taste/mouthfeel experience than I have been accustomed to. So now I either incorporate the richer ingredients a) more slowly, b) with more variety or c) cut it with something acidic.

For example:
    a) change the butter/oil ratio when cooking eggs (ie: less butter for a while)
    b) instead of all the eggs/sausage/butter, add a coconut milk smoothie into breakfast meal
    c) have a few slices of raw or grilled tomato (which is a bit acidic) with eggs and sausage; or even a cold glass of water with a wedge of lemon

Ultimately, I want to like what I'm eating! :)
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Here's a comforting article that will hopefuly quell your ingrained fat / salt fears, @jhiggi83:

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-nutritionist/

I haven't checked all the sources yet, but it looks fairly legit.
  • jhiggi83
    Options
    Day 2 in the books Hit 2g Carbs 131g Fat and 144g protein
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    Here's a comforting article that will hopefuly quell your ingrained fat / salt fears, @jhiggi83:

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-nutritionist/

I haven't checked all the sources yet, but it looks fairly legit.

This is an amazing article, thank you for sharing!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Just keep reminding yourself that dietary fat will not make you fat.

Maybe you should watch the documentary Fat Head. It's on YouTube and pretty much all over the internet. It's pretty interesting. It's a keto take on Super Size Me, and you can learn quite a bit that'll make you feel more confident in your choices. Best of luck!
  • jhiggi83
    Options
    On my first day on the Keto Diet I ate 50g of carbs while still eating 1850 cal. I was starving when I went to bed. Yesterday I only ate 2g of carbs and roughly a 70/30 fat/protien split. Not only was I not hungry at bedtime I made it until 9:30 before I ate breakfast. Now If I could get the scale not say 181.8 every morning for the last week. Im going to chalk it up to water retention due to my increased sodium intake and the fact that Im most likely not in Ketosis yet. And Im not one of those people who think results are instant
  • jhiggi83
    Options
    Came across this video. This girl breaks it down Barney style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqlM0AQk6I