January Goals

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU BTTR....Umm, once i figure out how to crop, I can show you guys what 50lbs off looks like if your uinterested in that sort of thing...the before photo is the very photo that literally caused me to get off my *kitten* and do something.

I pull everything into PowerPoint, use the crop feature there and then save the slide as a .jpg
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    2dqrpc7.jpg

see if this works...pretty embarrassing to do this stuff..i absolutely hate seeing or having my photo taken. I have about 10 lbs more I would like to lose.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    2dqrpc7.jpg

see if this works...pretty embarrassing to do this stuff..i absolutely hate seeing or having my photo taken. I have about 10 lbs more I would like to lose.

That is an amazing transformation. Congratulations!!!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Great achievement, Joe!

For January I'm going to get back to basics - long run of 7-8miles each Monday with shorter 2-3milers on the other two days.

We're off to storm beaten Cornwall for a week at the end of the month so I'm not promising to get any long runs in there (it's a bit steep) but I'll take advantage of the terrain and do a bit of hill work .... hard to avoid it really!
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan yamsteroo.

My longest run without walk breaks is 7 kms... I'm working on building that up about 0.5 km a week. Doesn't sound like much but in 6 weeks I should be at the 10 km mark! So exciting :).

I'm in love with running. It's been 45C here today (113F for the imperial folk) and far too hot to run outside. So I'm a day behind, but the rest is great.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That reminds me of a story from the Badwater Ultra (it goes through Death Valley). I think it was Dean Karnazes..he was refueling with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and was wondering why the bread was toasted. And then realized that it was toasting from the air temperature as he was eating it. So, yeah, don't run in that.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    2dqrpc7.jpg

This is awesome, Joe!!! You are transformed! What an inspiration!!! Everything we share might help someone else. that's one of the beautiful things about mfp. :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    That reminds me of a story from the Badwater Ultra (it goes through Death Valley). I think it was Dean Karnazes..he was refueling with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and was wondering why the bread was toasted. And then realized that it was toasting from the air temperature as he was eating it. So, yeah, don't run in that.

That's freakin' hot.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    2dqrpc7.jpg

This is awesome, Joe!!! You are transformed! What an inspiration!!! Everything we share might help someone else. that's one of the beautiful things about mfp. :-)

Beth is right - seeing photos of someone else's progress is very inspiring. Obviously your face is thinner but what strikes me the most is the self-assurance in your face. Old Joe looks tentative. New Joe looks like he can take on the world.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan yamsteroo.

My longest run without walk breaks is 7 kms... I'm working on building that up about 0.5 km a week. Doesn't sound like much but in 6 weeks I should be at the 10 km mark! So exciting :).

I'm in love with running. It's been 45C here today (113F for the imperial folk) and far too hot to run outside. So I'm a day behind, but the rest is great.

It's 133F degrees warmer there than it is at my house right now (or 74 degrees C). Maybe we could split the difference?
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options

It's 133F degrees warmer there than it is at my house right now (or 74 degrees C). Maybe we could split the difference?

I can't actually conceive of either of those temperatures. My optimal operating temperature for outside is -2 to 12 degrees C. thank you Scotland.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just reviewing my January goals...
    December was a bit of a washout fitness and food wise, but I am looking forward to getting back into a routine in January.

Continue my 10k training. DONE
    Do more stretching/exercises for my knees. DONE
    Restart weightlifting routine. DONE
    Do more cross training. NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY BUT MANAGED TO FIT IN A LITTLE BIT!
    Eat healthier. DONE
    Things are going better this month now that I am getting back into a routine. Hopefully we'll have finished all the Christmas chocolates by the end of the month and February will be even better!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I didn't reach my goal of 100 miles but I came pretty close: 92.2 miles. I backed off the mileage the past two weeks due to some shin pain. That's my highest month ever so I'm still pretty happy.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    -Continue working on my 2nd half marathon plan.
    -50+ miles ran this month.
    -Volunteer for at least one run this month.
    -Make it through my two off road races injury free.

**Update**

1. Progressing wonderfully with my HM training!
    2. Made it to 60 miles!
    3. Schedule just didn't work out the way I planned it to.
    4. Made it sort of injury free...ended up twisting my ankle twice at the 5K and one of those times I caught myself and pulled my left calf muscle in the process. But they healed with no issue.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Opening Runtastic in another tab to see my statistics for this month...
    January goals are:

- Out minimum 3x a week for 5K+
    :happy: DONE!

- With a long run of 8 miles/13K once a week gradually building.
    :happy: DONE!(not in a very structured way, but yes, long run once a week)

- Hopefully adding up to 65 miles to beat my December total.
    :happy: DONE! 101 MILES!

- Hello hills! I will tackle you in a structured way again!
    :indifferent: Erm...

- Parkrun sub 30 minutes... I have done it once, and need to prove it was not a fluke. On the mountainous course of doom no less...
    :happy: DONE! 28:33 with the goal of beating that now.

- Find some 5 and 10k local runs for the spring to work towards
    :indifferent: Have been looking but not booked anything.

- Calm my eating... 4lbs off this month would be great, but I need to try to stop evening binges...
    :frown: NOPE. We are not talking about this.

So. Some great, some terrible. Honestly the mileage is the best thing going just now. Everything else MFP related is out of control.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My goals were:
    - Monday: water aerobics & swim & yoga
    -- Got it in when I could (1 time), but one week the swim center was closed due to winter storm and another I went to see puppies -- didn't do the yoga
    - Tuesday teach puppy kindergarten (run and/or strength train if I can fit it in)
    -- Yep, taught puppies, did some strength training, no running
    - Wednesday kettleball class
    -- They didn't offer the kettleball class on Wednesday -- Went to Zumba one week and a metobolic conditioning class two of the weeks instead
    - Thursday (water aerobic & swim OR dog class) & yoga
    -- Fail here for most weeks as yoga was the focus -- didn't do the yoga -- did get a treadmill run in one week -- no swims
    - Friday run & strength train
    -- managed this most weeks; should have done it all weeks -- 2 weeks ran; 1 week Zumba
    - Saturday water aerobics & swim or dog event
    -- Done when I could
    - Sunday run & yoga
    -- Ran two of the weeks, dog event on a third -- no yoga

So, I managed about 75% of what I aimed for. For some I was derailed due to weather (I had some excuse, but should have found alternatives), some due to my Dad (real excuse), and some because I was lazy (no excuse at all).

Next month will be better!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    1-Get this leg business over with!
    2-Build back to my mid-November status - 8 mile long run and target 15+ miles a week. Begin HM training in earnest.
    3-Get back on track with my calorie goals/weight loss.
    4-Find a way to strike a balance between work, my neglected household and my running goals. ;-)

Well, two outta four ain't bad, right? Oh, wait. That's if it's three. well, anyway...
    1-The "leg business" is not over. I still have 2-3 treatments left.
    2-I ran eight miles on Feb. 1st! That counts as goal attainment, I think.
    3-Not quite there on the calorie goals. work stress has really gotten to me.
    4-Not giving up on this, but see number three. Work is hurting this goal too.

Ok, so I only met one goal, kinda. But it's a good one!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I was putting off setting goals because I've sucked through November and December, but I just joined Jantastic and committed to three runs a week (at least a mile) through January. I can do that.

I really need to do cross training - at least for my core and stabilizers - and get back into the habit of stretching, but I'm not going to create a goal around that yet.

I've done all my Jantastic runs
    I've done that push-up app challenge as cross-training, and it's been surprisingly effective for my core
    I've stretched a half dozen times and hopped on a foam roller once

It's not been a half-bad month and I'm jazzed for February.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    My goal was to travel 100 Km (running & walking) in January with 75% or more being running miles.

Distance travelled in Jan: 79K; 11:08:01
    Running distance: 62.5K; 8:49:30
    Walking distance: 16.5K; 2:58:31

Stats for distance: 79.1% running, 20.9% walking

I'm happy with this. I had a couple of unforeseen events that kept me from running part of the month, which means my goal was in reach for a regular month.

Looking forward to this month's running.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You've done excellently, Petra!