1600 Members with only a small % active, LETS GET BUSY!

Options
I think this Group could be something GREAT! But looking for new friends to add through the 1600 members and its A lot of RED! Weeks, Months, even Years since some of these people have been back to this group.

Maybe we could start the new year by saying hello to one another and jump starting this group??:drinker: :bigsmile: :wink:

I am pre-op currently taking a required 12 weeks class. I have not decided yet if I will be getting Sleeved or RNY but it WILL be one of the two. My fourth class will be on Monday.

I would love to get to know any of you who have made the decision to do this and whatever you have to teach I am interested in learning! You are all so open with your diaries and that is really helpful!

So if you are an active member in this group let us know! :flowerforyou:
WISHING YOU ALL A HAPPY AND SUCESSFUL 2014!

Replies

• godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot of prep classes! I have not had the gastric sleeve, but my husband is on the 7th. He is in my profile pic as well. I've joined this group to see what works for others who have had this done, and I am hoping to get him to join, too! I'm sure it will help me as well to communicate with others who have done these surgeries. I personally log every day, so if you would like to friend me, go ahead! My diary is also open.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I had to take 6 months of classes, and I started implementing the rules slowly. I started with no sodas...I gave them up November 2012, and I haven't had a drop since. After that, I practiced the no drinking while eating, chewing 30x a bite, and sampling protein shakes. I took it as an opportunity to get my mind set on what I needed to do to be successful. :)
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I had RNY in August 2012. My insurance didn't require any extra hoops before surgery, so I only needed to follow the surgeon's plan. Everything has worked great, with no complications or issues along yhe way. Best of luck.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi Jena,

I'm new to this group, but have been a regular participant on MFP since my surgery (VSG) in May 2013. My wife and I first started looking into the surgery in September of 2012 and had decided to join the program when there was an insurance SNAFU that didn't get cleared up for months. I lost almost exactly 30 lbs from November when we tried to start until May 1st when we both had the surgery. I'm closing on the 100 lbs lost since surgery, honestly expecting it this week, if I'm careful.

I don't collect friends on MFP, but I think I have a great group of people who I support and support me in return. It has been win-win so far.

The changes to my life have been astounding from my view point. On the medical front, my bloodwork is 100% in the normal range now, no more pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. I was on 24 hour per day oxygen, now I have it nights only and expect to get rid of it in the next few months. I do use a Bi-Pap for sleeping. I dream of being able to do away with that, but that is another year or more away.

My wife and I have rediscovered many of the activities we enjoyed when we were dating/newly married. We walk and take short hikes that get longer all the time. I have rediscovered photography and take a lot of photographs while on these hikes.

We recently went to Disneyland and I was able to go on every ride I wanted to, except one. I went on Space Mountain for the first time ever and while I barely fit, I did fit! More astounding than that was the hours I spent walking and standing without feeling the need to find the nearest chair. My pedometer shows I walked 21 miles in our two short and one full days there. Yes, I did have to use Ibuprofen for muscle aches, but no more than anyone else over 21 in the family. :bigsmile:

Life is good and getting better all the time.

Best of luck with your procedure and the new life you are working toward!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I chose the sleeve. After 6 months of physician assisted weight loss, (where I actually gained), nutritionist, psych, etc., I was sleeved in mid-October 2013. I chose the sleeve because my surgeon and I didn't feel like I needed the malabsorption component present with the R\Y. Honestly, the sleeve seemed like a much simpler procedure and the over all risk seemed a bit less for the 100ish lbs I needed to shed. The procedure went really well and I was release from the hospital a day early, staying only overnight. I tried the pain meds, but they made me so sick the treatment was way worse than the pain so I stuck with Tylenol Jr and only took that for about a week. I was back at work (desk job) the middle of the following week with only minor fatigue.

So now it's been about 3 months since my procedure, (4 since I started actually losing in September after my first consult), and I've lost over 55 lbs, returned my blood pressure to normal without meds and no longer cough all night long due to asthma and reflux. I actually squeezed my *kitten* into a pair of size 28 Miss Me jeans, (that's about an 8, so of course I HAD to have them)! They'll fit better in a few weeks!

I can eat pretty much what I choose and have no issues with bread, pasta, fruit skins, etc., but stick to protein 90% of the time. Best decision I ever made for myself. Only regret is that I waited until I was 47 to do it!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am 40 months post-op! I had Gastric By-Pass. I decided to do this because I wanted to live, and not just sit back and watch others enjoy life.

I didn't have to take any classes. I only had to lose 10% of my starting weight prior to surgery, while under the surgeons care. I did have to have a mental evaluation, and talk with a dietician.

I had several health issues. I was on 14 medications daily, now I take one and that is for my thyroid.

MFP has been a god send to me. My hubby and son are not much support, my friends on here mean the world to me.

I had a few complications over the years but looking back they were worth it! I have adapted a new healthy life style of making better food choices and daily exercise.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me!

Good Luck!
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Jena,

I'm new to this group, but have been a regular participant on MFP since my surgery (VSG) in May 2013. My wife and I first started looking into the surgery in September of 2012 and had decided to join the program when there was an insurance SNAFU that didn't get cleared up for months. I lost almost exactly 30 lbs from November when we tried to start until May 1st when we both had the surgery. I'm closing on the 100 lbs lost since surgery, honestly expecting it this week, if I'm careful.

I don't collect friends on MFP, but I think I have a great group of people who I support and support me in return. It has been win-win so far.

The changes to my life have been astounding from my view point. On the medical front, my bloodwork is 100% in the normal range now, no more pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. I was on 24 hour per day oxygen, now I have it nights only and expect to get rid of it in the next few months. I do use a Bi-Pap for sleeping. I dream of being able to do away with that, but that is another year or more away.

My wife and I have rediscovered many of the activities we enjoyed when we were dating/newly married. We walk and take short hikes that get longer all the time. I have rediscovered photography and take a lot of photographs while on these hikes.

We recently went to Disneyland and I was able to go on every ride I wanted to, except one. I went on Space Mountain for the first time ever and while I barely fit, I did fit! More astounding than that was the hours I spent walking and standing without feeling the need to find the nearest chair. My pedometer shows I walked 21 miles in our two short and one full days there. Yes, I did have to use Ibuprofen for muscle aches, but no more than anyone else over 21 in the family. :bigsmile:

Life is good and getting better all the time.

Best of luck with your procedure and the new life you are working toward!

This story was so cool and inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm heading into my 5th doctor's appointment this month. I will meet with the surgeon and have all paperwork submitted to insurance. I hope to have a date for surgery at my 6th appointment where I will meet with dietician and begin pre-op diet. I hope to have RNY by late March.

At this time, I have been trying out different protein shakes and learning to do count calories, protein, and carbs. I have also been exercising again. I'm always open to making new mfp wls pals!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone!! My name is Laura and I participate off and on here on mfp, depending on where my weight is. I only log in here when my weight is up. I am 5.25 years post-RNY. My highest weight was 340 and I maintain fairly easily between 135-140.

I have had no issues and RNY was definitely the right choice for me. I am so thankful to have my life back.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smile: :smile: :smile: :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
    THANK YOU JENA!
    I started this group 2 years ago when I was looking for support and motivation for my Jan'12 RNY! So many people joined and we all were so gun-ho for each other. Since then, the size of this group increased 155%.
    Jena is correct. There are so many members who have reaped the support and now it's PAYBACK time, baby!

Lets rally for those who really want/need the support. We were there once .... and got it.
    Come back to us again!!!
    So many are still members - some quiet participants, some lurkers, some loud and active.
    Lets be there - all RNY/LB/Sleeve alumni - for those who need our experience, support and motivation.
    Lets reach out and provide this current group, who are getting ready for any of the procedures, that we can and will support them in their pursuit to become healthy once again.

Christine
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You all ROCK!! AMAZING I mean INCREDIBLE transformations! Thank you all so much for sharing!
    Jena
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm starting to get active on MFP again after a couple month break. I've met the criteria for surgery but due to insurance issues, had to wait until 2014 in order to get the sleeve procedure so I've just been cruising along for the last could months - not really losing or dieting but working on building exercise endurance and enjoying the holidays. Anyway, surgery is scheduled for Feb 12 - almost a year to the day when I started the journey. I'm doing what I can to get ready for it. Hope to lose another 10# before surgery and hope to find and provide support for others on the journey. Best of luck and health to all of us. Sue
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP a little over a year ago and have been very active since! I love doing challenges to help myself and others stay motivated.

I had RNY March 13th, 2013. I was pre-diabetic and on a large number of asthma medications and inhalers prior to losing weight. I am no longer on any asthma medications and am no longer pre-diabetic. I used to use my asthma just going up a flight of stairs but now haven't used it at all. I have always lead a very sedentary life and never, ever enjoyed exercising. In September, I discovered an amazing program extreme kickboxing and strength training program that has transformed my life along with the RNY. I now do strength training and kickboxing 6 days/week and I am completely addicted to it and look forward to class every single day. I just recently started coaching the new people that come into the program as well. With RNY, I have been able to turn so many things in my life around, including my self esteem, self image, and my confidence. I am the healthiest I have ever been in my entire life and I feel completely amazing. I am also at the lowest weight I have ever seen in my adult life as I have always been overweight through my whole life. I'm so glad I decided to have this life changing operation done as it has become the best tool I've ever had and I take full advantage of it every single day!
  • tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started MFP over a year ago when I first decided to go to the doctor and get information about weight loss surgery. I had my RNY on 10/21/13 so I am still trying to get the hang of things myself! I love reading all of the information that is put out by the members in this group and I know that if I have a question I can get an answer no matter how weird the question might be! I didn't tell anyone in my family about my choice to get the RNY besides my mother and little sister so it is nice to be able to have a support system that I can count on when I know I cant count on family. I am a type 1 diabetic so that will never go away, but a lot of the symptoms from my PCOS have started to go away so hopefully in 2015 we can try for a baby! I am also hoping that if it ever warms up I can start jogging again (haven't done that since HS) and maybe even join the local softball team (if I can gain more confidence lol). I really enjoy this group and hope to hear from even more members!!!!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    I joined MFP a little over a year ago and have been very active since! I love doing challenges to help myself and others stay motivated.

I had RNY March 13th, 2013. I was pre-diabetic and on a large number of asthma medications and inhalers prior to losing weight. I am no longer on any asthma medications and am no longer pre-diabetic. I used to use my asthma just going up a flight of stairs but now haven't used it at all. I have always lead a very sedentary life and never, ever enjoyed exercising. In September, I discovered an amazing program extreme kickboxing and strength training program that has transformed my life along with the RNY. I now do strength training and kickboxing 6 days/week and I am completely addicted to it and look forward to class every single day. I just recently started coaching the new people that come into the program as well. With RNY, I have been able to turn so many things in my life around, including my self esteem, self image, and my confidence. I am the healthiest I have ever been in my entire life and I feel completely amazing. I am also at the lowest weight I have ever seen in my adult life as I have always been overweight through my whole life. I'm so glad I decided to have this life changing operation done as it has become the best tool I've ever had and I take full advantage of it every single day!

Great story so exciting for you! :drinker:
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Hi!

I started MFP over a year ago when I first decided to go to the doctor and get information about weight loss surgery. I had my RNY on 10/21/13 so I am still trying to get the hang of things myself! I love reading all of the information that is put out by the members in this group and I know that if I have a question I can get an answer no matter how weird the question might be! I didn't tell anyone in my family about my choice to get the RNY besides my mother and little sister so it is nice to be able to have a support system that I can count on when I know I cant count on family. I am a type 1 diabetic so that will never go away, but a lot of the symptoms from my PCOS have started to go away so hopefully in 2015 we can try for a baby! I am also hoping that if it ever warms up I can start jogging again (haven't done that since HS) and maybe even join the local softball team (if I can gain more confidence lol). I really enjoy this group and hope to hear from even more members!!!!
    My oldest daughter (she is almost 19 ) is also T1D she was diagnosed 6 years ago. honestly a diabetic's way of eating is how most of us SHOULD eat so you may have an advantage in more ways than one!
    Good Luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm starting to get active on MFP again after a couple month break. I've met the criteria for surgery but due to insurance issues, had to wait until 2014 in order to get the sleeve procedure so I've just been cruising along for the last could months - not really losing or dieting but working on building exercise endurance and enjoying the holidays. Anyway, surgery is scheduled for Feb 12 - almost a year to the day when I started the journey. I'm doing what I can to get ready for it. Hope to lose another 10# before surgery and hope to find and provide support for others on the journey. Best of luck and health to all of us. Sue
    Wow 46 lbs on your own GREAT WORK!!
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had RNY in August 2012. My insurance didn't require any extra hoops before surgery, so I only needed to follow the surgeon's plan. Everything has worked great, with no complications or issues along yhe way. Best of luck.

Same here. Best decision I ever made! I'm off all meds and my arthritis doesn't bother me nearly as much as before RNY surgery.
    I love this group! So much support and collective wisdom and experience!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi group. My wife will be having the sleeve procedure late in March and I will likely have mine late in June. We are SO ready for a fresh start on a new and exciting life!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Of course, I am active on here and have been active on MFP for 650 days straight. I had my RNY on 9/27/12 and achieved my "normal" weight w/in 8 months. I am currently hoping to still drop another 10, but hit my goal a few weeks ago of 135. I am 5'5" tall.
    Prior to my surgery I had to do 6 months of appointments requiring 6 visits with my registered dietitian, 3 visits with my surgeon, a visit to a cardiologist which entailed stress tests and a visit with a psychologist. I also had to prove medical necessity--type I diabetes that was severely out of control, kidney issues, thyroid issues, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea. I went through 3 denials, one of which stated that I "was not mentally competent enough to understand the changes that would be necessary after the surgery." WTH????? I was insulted, as I am, and was, probably more informed and competent than most as far as what to do and what to expect pre and post surgery. The issue was that my endocrinologist and the team psychologist failed to issue proper documentation. Took three denials and a LOT of phone calls and disappointment before my surgery was approved.
    I had decided to do it on my own and under medical supervision had dropped my calories to 800 per day. I was slowly losing, but starving and getting weaker all the time. The the phone call came telling me to resubmit my paperwork and I did and I had an approval immediately.
    So here I am and have done well. I have my off days where my diet could definitely improve. I do like food. I love to cook and bake and have found many ways to tweak those recipes that I love.
    I believe that I have the BEST surgeon and surgical team in the entire world and would have traveled the world over for him and for my dietitian(s). They are 3 hours away, but easily accessed by phone, email, or group and my dietitian follows me here on MFP.
    I am so thankful for my MFP friends and all the support they give. Couldn't have been successful without this app or the friends I have made here.