I did it!

Options
CherylP67
CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
I ran a 10k on New Year's Day. I ran the entire 6.2 (it was a little longer) in 1 hour 6 minutes and 1 second.

I used the One Hour Runner program.

I started running August 24, a week before I turned 46. I started with C25k, and ran my first 5k on October 22.

My 10k training has had moments, I had to take a week off, I had severe stabbing chest pain in my right lung from front to back that wouldn't go away after a run in single digit temperatures. It turns out I have something called exercise induced bronchoconstriction, which triggered my asthma and caused small areas of lung collapse. I followed my doctors treatment and I'm good as new.

I'm starting my half marathon training as soon as I find a program that is doable for me.

I love being a runner, I love how many calories I burn, allowing me more food. I love the way I feel after a run. I love my beautiful quad muscles. I love when I tell friends I ran a 10k they look at me and comment how they can't imagine running 1 mile, forget even thinking about 6, or the look on their face when they say, "you ran for an hour, without stopping, how?"

I love everything but running in the cold, but the goods outweigh the cold. It's going to be spring before I know it.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The thing about running in the cold is to layer. It is all about layering and figuring how what works for your body. Me? I am good in a long sleeve technical and a vest until sub 30...and I can run in just my tights until sub 30. Then I have to start bringing in more layers and gloves or I will get cold.

It takes a while to learn the gear side of all this, and what works for you. Don't fear the cold. PR's usually happen in colder weather, as you can actually run faster during colder weather.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You make me so happy, Cheryl!

I get exercise induced asthma and the cold makes it worse, so I wear a neck gaiter over my nose and mouth in the winter. If it gets too cold, I'll just run inside (luckily I'm in Georgia). But, of course, your doctor will be helping you with all that.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Cheryl! You've done a great job overcoming your problems and running it in a great time.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    That's great! Even better that you did it on NYD when most people were more likely to run a bath than a race :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 10K!! Way to go! That's a great finish time. Best of luck on your half marathon training.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You sound so happy!

Is it weird that I am actually terrified to enter a 10K even though I run that once a week on my own? What if I enter a race then don't want to run that far on that day? Yup. Weird.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Cheryl!

Nice run and good time! Better than I can do for sure!

Good luck with the half marathon! You can do it!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You sound so happy!

Is it weird that I am actually terrified to enter a 10K even though I run that once a week on my own? What if I enter a race then don't want to run that far on that day? Yup. Weird.

That's why I did a virtual 10k first. :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You sound so happy!

That's why I did a virtual 10k first. :)

That is so smart. I tried to find a 10K this fall around here and couldn't -- never thought to try to find a virtual one.

Congratulations Cheryl!