Thyroids meds taken before bedtime

Options
kizzes12
kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
Taking thyroid meds @ night coz the conversion process of T4 to T3 may be more effective in the evening.. and i read people has more energy and lost weight taking it pm ( ive been trying it for 3 nights now and so far ive been sleeping so good ) read for more info here guys :)http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/bedtime.htm .... Anyone taking this already nightime? what is the effect on you?:)

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I tried taking Synthroid at night, but I couldn't stop eating 4 hours before bedtime. So now the closest I ever get is when I wake up in the middle of the night. I keep my pills & a full glass of water on the nightstand just in case.

I love when that happens, because I don't have to wait an hour after I wake up before eating. It's a treat to eat (or drink something other than water) right away.

Edited to add that I've only recently started taking Synthroid w/ a full glass of water. My energy level seems unchanged, but my hunger seems to have lessened. (It may be a placebo effect, but I'm loving it.)
  • kizzes12
    Options
    I take mine 3 hours after eating dinner so far i really like the effect ..... it prevents me from snacking at night and iam not starving in the am ...i sleep so good been having good dreams lol dont know also if its the placebo effect but iam loving it :)
  • kizzes12
    Options
    I noticed it also my hunger is lessened:)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I tried taking Synthroid at night, but I couldn't stop eating 4 hours before bedtime. So now the closest I ever get is when I wake up in the middle of the night. I keep my pills & a full glass of water on the nightstand just in case.

I love when that happens, because I don't have to wait an hour after I wake up before eating. It's a treat to eat (or drink something other than water) right away.

This.

May try again at some point, as the study was encouraging.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for 2am. I don't have to worry about eating to soon are taking them hours after I eat. My doc thinks I'm crazy, but I never forget, and it works for me.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If I take at night I want to stay awake for hours. I am a very quick to sleep person usually and so I never take my meds at night.
  • patty3751
    patty3751 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am new to this group and glad to see this topic!! Thank you. I have been wondering about taking meds at night instead of AM and it makes sense... How soon after dinner do you take the meds?..My doctor told me that meds, mine is Synthroid, should not be taken with dairy products because it effects the absorption...Thanks Patty:smile:
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Synthroid must be taken on an empty stomach. That's why I take it in the morning--I snack after dinner.

You can't eat or drink anything but water for an hour after taking it (preferably w/ a full glass of water). Wait at least 4 hours before taking vitamins or minerals.

Edited to add that according to the manufacturer, http://synthroid.com
    Soybean flour (infant formula), cotton seed meal, walnuts, and dietary fiber may bind and decrease the absorption of levothyroxine sodium from the GI tract.
    Do you mean your doctor told you to take Synthroid w/ water, and wait at least an hour before drinking milk?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Sorry, duplicate post.
  • kizzes12
    Options
    Hi i take it 3 hours after eating dinner :) So far iam getting good results like better sleep, lost more water weight and more energy:smile:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Cytomel/T3 is a quick acting and fast leaving drug. If you take it, it needs to be in the am or whenever you start your day. You should be up and moving when it's taken.