new to yoga

Options
Hello, I have been on Mfp for awhile now. I lost most of my weight running and calorie counting. Recently I have hurt both of my ankles and running/walking aren't really an option. I was wondering if anyone has had success in keeping weight managed with just yoga and calorie counting. I admit I did rely a bit on the big calorie burn I got from running to be able to eat more. I will have to adjust that!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to get a good calorie burn from a short period of yoga, like you would from running. So you'll have to be careful with the calorie counting if you want to lose weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. But yoga has so many other benefits.

I've lost all my weight (so far) through calorie restriction, walking & yoga.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have lost and maintained my weight with yoga, but you definitely don't get to eat as much as other forms of exercise. For me it's worth it, as yoga is the one thing I can stick with and love for the long term.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    Well that is good news. I have been sticking with the Yoga and love it so far. Using Yogaglo and also about to start a park district class just to check it out. I REALLY like Yogaglo. Fits my schedule really well. Now I just need to get my eating back under control. Having trouble getting back on the wagon with that!
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM all the time at the gym, and I can burn a whack of calories in a Vinyasa class. For regular classes, the calorie count is significantly lower, but when we are flowing in Vinyasa, I am burning as many calories as an hour doing cardio on elliptical/treadmill,
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM all the time at the gym, and I can burn a whack of calories in a Vinyasa class. For regular classes, the calorie count is significantly lower, but when we are flowing in Vinyasa, I am burning as many calories as an hour doing cardio on elliptical/treadmill,

Same here! A good vinyasa class really gets my heart rate up!