January Week 2 Mini Challenge

Options
luvs_choc8
luvs_choc8 Posts: 788 Member
Welcome to all.

Here is the mini challenge for January week 2. Enjoy!!

I am going to get a little philosophical this week and want you to think of three things before you eat. They are:

1) Why are you eating?-(Are you bored?,Are you sad?,Are you really hungry?,etc)
2) What are you eating?-(Are you eating nutritional food?,Are you staying within your calorie limit?,Is your body going to benefit from what you are eating? etc)
3) When are you eating?-(Are you eating in secret?,Are you eating late at night?,Did you just eat? etc)

Answering these questions honestly will help you to analyze some of your eating faults.

Monday's Mini Challenge:
Food-Stay within your alloted calorie limit
Cardio-Do 30-45 minutes of increased heart rate cardio exercise (ie jog, bicycle,elliptical,jumping jacks,aerobics,zumba,etc)
Strength-Do 125 crucnches (3 different kinds)
Water- drink 8-10 glasses if water.

Tuesday's Mini Challenge:
Food-Eat 25 less than your alloted carbohydrate limit
Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes of interval training (1 minute slow pace, 1 minute fast pace)
Strength-Do 10 sets of 10 bicep curls

Wednesday's Mini Challenge:
Food-Eat your limit of protein. It is necessary to repair and maintain muscle.
Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes increased heart rate cardio exercise.
Strength - Do 125 squats.

Thursday's Mini Challenge:
Food-Eat lots of fibre today. (ie fruits, veggies, whole grains, oatmeal, fibre one bars (love them)
Cardio/Strength - Do 30-45 minutes of circuit training. 2 minutes cardio, 10 crunches, 2 minutes cardio, 10 push-ups, 2 minutes cardio, 10 lunges. repeat 3 x)

Friday Mini Challenge
Food - Stay below your sodium limit. (pay particular attention to packaged or take out food which is very high in sodium)
Cardio - Do 30-45 minutes increased heart rate cardio exercise.
Strength - If you worked really hard yesterday. Take a break today.

Saturday Mini Challenge
Food - Stay within your calorie limit.
Cardio/Strength - Do something special for yourself today. Maybe get your hair done, have a manicure, go shopping etc. You deserve it

Sunday Mini Challenge:
Food - Enjoy a healthy home cooked meal with your family.
Cardio - Go for a 30-45 minute leisurely walk with your family or somebody special in your life.
Strength - Work on the part of your body that bothers you the most.

Note: I am by no means a professional in diet or fitness and what I suggest in this post comes from what I have read and experienced in my journey. Please go at your own pace and do what works for you.

I hope everybody has a great week.

Keep Smiling ,
Donna

Replies

• GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,930 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the challenge, Donna!

1) Why are you eating?-(Are you bored?,Are you sad?,Are you really hungry?,etc)
    I use to eat when I was BORED or SAD but NOW I just eat when I'm hungry! Although at for dinner if I'm NOT hungry I will get STILL eat at least something healthy! I know if I skip dinner, I will LATER!

2) What are you eating?-(Are you eating nutritional food?,Are you staying within your calorie limit?,Is your body going to benefit from what you are eating? etc)
    95% of the time I eat heathy and stay under my goal!

3) When are you eating?-(Are you eating in secret?,Are you eating late at night?,Did you just eat? etc)
    I try to have my last meal before 7pm. If I do get hungry I eat fruit!
  • Yackma
    Yackma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've got the calories under control, but the exercise ... I'm embarrassed. I don't know why, but I am. :(
  • DrewsAnna
    DrewsAnna Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    WOW...this is going to be very good for me!!
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options
    Monday's Mini Challenge:
    Food-Stay within your alloted calorie limit check back
    Cardio-Do 30-45 minutes of increased heart rate cardio exercise (ie jog, bicycle,elliptical,jumping jacks,aerobics,zumba,etc) DONE ( 6 mile run / 2 mile walk)
    Strength-Do 125 crucnches (3 different kinds) DONE Doing the Glute challenge
    Water- drink 8-10 glasses if water. Check back
  • danam82
    danam82 Posts: 30
    Options
    Wow...VERY challenging. But, I love a good challenge and I'm excited to meet and conquer every one of these this week!
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    love it....the 25 less carbs is gonna get me lol
  • DrewsAnna
    Options
    Right now, I can say I'm done!!!

Monday's Mini Challenge:
    Food-Stay within your allotted calorie limit
    Cardio-Do 30-45 minutes of increased heart rate cardio exercise (ie jog, bicycle,elliptical,jumping jacks,aerobics,zumba,etc)
    Strength-Do 125 crucnches (3 different kinds)

I did 42 regular crunches, 42 bicycle crunches & 42 butt-up (I don't know what they're really called) crunches. I'm leaving for zumba in about a half hour. I have already drank all my water. I have pre-logged my dinner and will make adjustments after zumba and dinner.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Monday's Mini Challenge:
    Food-Stay within your alloted calorie limit - DONE
    Cardio-Do 30-45 minutes of increased heart rate cardio exercise (ie jog, bicycle,elliptical,jumping jacks,aerobics,zumba,etc) - Insanity Plyometric Cardio Cicuit(49 minutes)
    Strength-Do 125 crucnches (3 different kinds) DONE 42 Reg crunches, 42 twist crunches, vertical leg crunch
    Water- drink 8-10 glasses if water. DOne drink 10 glasses
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Monday's Mini Challenge:
    Food-Stay within your alloted calorie limit:
    I'm on maintenance and "eyeballing" my food ( *that's* a scary experiment; one I haven't gotten used to yet). We went to the pub for dinner yesterday, so I was probably a bit over my allotment but within reason for a weekly allotted calorie average.

Cardio-Do 30-45 minutes of increased heart rate cardio exercise (ie jog, bicycle,elliptical,jumping jacks,aerobics,zumba,etc): I practices tai-chi for 30 minutes. Done correctly (I'm learning so I don't always get it right), it raises heart rate, starts a sweat and gets one huffing & puffing for breath. Yesterday, I was sweating but not huffing & puffing, so some cardio may have been involved.

Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes of interval training (1 minute slow pace, 1 minute fast pace): today is my running day. I'll be on the treadmill for 70 minutes doing a 5K (min) run and walking the rest of the time.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes of interval training (1 minute slow pace, 1 minute fast pace)

Did not see this till i came on here AFTER i got back from the gym. I cannot do interval training cause my heart valve does not like it but i did 30 min of walking and 45 min of strength training and only came close to passing out once!!
    Will do more bicep curls with my free weights at home
    Water is no problem!
    Gonna have to look at my carb limit and see where i am today...
    Great challenges!!

and 125 squats tomorrow???? hahahahaha
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I've got the calories under control, but the exercise ... I'm embarrassed. I don't know why, but I am. :(

It'll come, Yackma. When I started on MFP, I didn't exercise much either. It just happens over time. :smile:
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I finished my treadmill workout: a total of 70 minutes on the treadmill. Ran 6K in 51 of those minutes; walked 19 minutes.
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options
    Food-Eat 25 less than your alloted carbohydrate limit yes
    Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes of interval training (minute slow pace, 1 minute fast pace) yes did a treadmill workout
    Strength-Do 10 sets of 10 bicep curls Yes
    Water- drink 8-10 glasses if water. yes

Bring on squats tomorrow!
  • DrewsAnna
    Options
    Tuesday is done!!

Today the cardio was a challenge, I've been on my feet all day and my back has been screaming at me buuuuuut, I put on my headphones, turned my favorite personal pandora station and I was off and managed to do 30 min. on the elliptical, that is the most I've ever been able to pull out before. Annnnnd, I was screaming.

When I did the bicep curls I added some extra moves such as knee bends, squats, forward & backward lunges, sideways lunges.

Water was the easy part and the carbs I managed.

Right now, I'm so not feeling any lighter but I know I'm just being impatient. Oh yeah, and I'm feeling my abs from yesterdays crunches.

Keep these challenges coming....Woot.....Woot.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Food-Eat 25 less than your alloted carbohydrate limit I FAILED THIS... I WENT OVER i SHOULD OF ATE MORE CHICKEN BEFORE i AT MORE SWEET POTATOES...
    Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes of interval training (1 minute slow pace, 1 minute fast pace) i DIDN'T GET THIS WORK OUT IN AS MUCH ASD I WANTED TO MY SHOLDER WAS HURTING SO BAD I WANTED TO CRY MY MUSCLE THAT I BELIEVE I PULLED TIGHTED UP SO BAD WHEN I WENT TO MY ROOM TO WORK OUT WHICH WAS A COLD COLD ROOM
    Strength-Do 10 sets of 10 bicep curls I DID THESE WHILE MAKING DINNER BEFORE MY SHOLDER STARTED HURTING
    Water- drink 8-10 glasses if water. DID THIS
  • karenleona
    Options
    I finished my treadmill workout: a total of 70 minutes on the treadmill. Ran 6K in 51 of those minutes; walked 19 minutes.

thought you said you don't have the exercise under control??? looks to me like you ROCKED IT!!!!
  • karenleona
    Options
    amazingly I succeeded with the carb challenge yesterday. I usually have trouble with carbs. No idea how i am going to get all the protein in today
  • PaytraB
    Options

thought you said you don't have the exercise under control??? looks to me like you ROCKED IT!!!!

Thank you! I tried to make it happen....gave myself no excuses, got home from work and hopped on the treadmill.

Food-Eat your limit of protein. It is necessary to repair and maintain muscle. = having some rotisserie chicken tonight with veggies.
    Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes increased heart rate cardio exercise. = will be practicing tai-chi again tonight for 30 mins (got to get the routine down right and comfortably before class starts again next week)
  • karenleona
    Options
    Food-Eat your limit of protein. It is necessary to repair and maintain muscle.
    Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes increased heart rate cardio exercise.
    Strength - Do 125 squats.

actually got all of the protein in by snacking on soy nuts and almonds
    did 45 min of cardio on treadmill and bike....can only put my heart rate up to 110 tho but still it is a bit
    no chance i can do that many squats but i have been doing some all day
    water is done!!
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options
    Food-Eat your limit of protein. It is necessary to repair and maintain muscle. Yes, I had a protein shake today after my walk
    Cardio- Do 30-45 minutes increased heart rate cardio exercise. Yes 7 mile run / 2 mile walk
    Strength - Do 125 squats. Yes
    Water- drink 8-10 glasses if water. Yes 72 oz