New member - Pcos and weight loss!!

Options
Hi Ladies,

I have been diagnosed a year ago with Pcos but I'm not taking any medication. The doctor told me that I can take birth control pills and cut on carbs and exercise a lot but that I shouldn't really worry about Pcos for now ( i'm 16 yrs old ). I refused to take the pills because I didn't want to face any of it's side effects and also I heard you gain weight from it. I was never satisfied with my weight and it seems like everything I eat gets stored no matter what and it's really hard to lose it off. I've taken gym classes and exercised regularly but that never seems to work. Trying to cut of and lower my calories is more challenging but anyway I don't eat that much.. Any advice's ?

Replies

• VeganBoo
    Options
    Hey hun,

Don't limit your calories/food too much because you're still growing but try and get your calories from whole foods and proteins. Have you considered seeing a nutritionist? They would be better equip to give you advice and a meal plan because of your age.

Though eating a clean healthy diet and exercise is key when it comes to PCOS. I follow the south beach diet, I find that its the perfect balance of complex carbs and protein in different sources like lentils, beans, fish, lean meats etc. I've lost a fair bit of weight on it and its great for maintaining weight.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Are you 16 or 19? :huh:
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Read this article please!

http://sophieologie.me/2013/09/26/1200-calories/

At the age of 16, you need to make sure you are eating enough to begin with. I would start there.

I have had PCOS for 20 years (I'm 34), and what I have found using MFP is that eating a diet that is 25-30% protein helps me stay full and within my calorie goal here. My first 18 weeks or so, I lost 20 pounds. Been plateauing (or gaining with the holiday) for a bit because I haven't finished logging most days. But I've been back on track since Monday and I'm losing again.
  • brandygirl614
    Options
    Have any of u had anymore weight loss or success with the metformin? I've been on it for 2 weeks and looking for advice
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    brandygirl614: I currently take metformin, birth control, and levothyroxine. I'm almost at my 10 pound lost mark with diet, medication, & exercise. It's a long long road for us PCOSers, but totally doable ~ with patience.

I'd be more than happy to help you ~ what are you looking for? I will gladly give you what my dietitian/nutritionist has given me, my routines, etc.
  • lisajsund
    Options
    I took metformin for two months quite a while back and it did nothing for me.
    I have found greatest success so far by aiming for 25-30% protein.
    It helps to keep my hunger at bay and lowers my carb intake drastically.
  • lisajsund
    Options
    I have also found that lowering my carb intake even more (30% or less) has also been very beneficial.
    I'm down 3 lbs in 2 weeks. I feel great, sleep very well, and seem to have more energy.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I have also found that lowering my carb intake even more (30% or less) has also been very beneficial.
    I'm down 3 lbs in 2 weeks. I feel great, sleep very well, and seem to have more energy.
    If you have lowered your carb intake, which macro did you increase- fat or protein?
  • lisajsund
    Options
    If you have lowered your carb intake, which macro did you increase- fat or protein?

A little bit of both actually. I use 30% for carbs and protein, and 40% for fat.