Paleo "Cheat" Meals

Options
MKC6714
MKC6714 Posts: 3 Member
Wondering who uses their cheat meals that Paleo allows. The book I am reading days you can have 3 cheat meals per week. Does this interfere with your weight loss? Also, can we drink diet coke on Paleo?

Replies

• primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What book are you reading?

Diet Coke? Uh, no....it's not a plant or an animal :-)
    Also why bother with a 'cheat' meal when this is a lifestyle - you will undo all the good work you have done and set off cravings again. Accepting that sometimes we may not be able to eat paleo because the choices aren't available and we won't be 100% compliant all the time (i.e dinner at someones house) is fine but I'm not sure what book you are reading that includes 'cheat' meals. Most people find their desire for unhealthy food diminishes when they start nourishing their bodies with proper food that supplies everything the body needs and they start feeling amazing.
    From my own experience I would recommend doing this whole-heartedly and changing your mindset or not doing it all. Sorry if that sounds harsh but if you are eating higher fat (as you should be with this way of eating) then occasionally throwing in sugar and other rubbish then you are creating a recipe for a health disaster.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What book are you reading?

Diet Coke? Uh, no....it's not a plant or an animal :-)
    Also why bother with a 'cheat' meal when this is a lifestyle - you will undo all the good work you have done and set off cravings again. Accepting that sometimes we may not be able to eat paleo because the choices aren't available and we won't be 100% compliant all the time (i.e dinner at someones house) is fine but I'm not sure what book you are reading that includes 'cheat' meals. Most people find their desire for unhealthy food diminishes when they start nourishing their bodies with proper food that supplies everything the body needs and they start feeling amazing.
    From my own experience I would recommend doing this whole-heartedly and changing your mindset or not doing it all. Sorry if that sounds harsh but if you are eating higher fat (as you should be with this way of eating) then occasionally throwing in sugar and other rubbish then you are creating a recipe for a health disaster.

I agree. Seriouly no need to cheat. Really curious about the name of the book?
  • MKC6714
    MKC6714 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am reading "Cavewomen don't get fat" by Esther Blum and "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain. They both actually talk about being able to have cheat meals during your first few weeks on the diet.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Some people say cheat meals are an unhealthy way of looking at food, me, I think they're a retarded way at looking at food.

IMHO, if you're feeling the need to have a "cheat" meal, you're probably on the wrong diet. That, or you're not getting enough variety. Could you perhaps give some insight into what you're eating?

If these cheat meals (I assume foods containing gluten nor dairy) remove you from your calorie deficit or put you in a surplus, then yes, it will interfere with your weight loss and could even cause weight gain. If not, then no.

As for diet coke... Ugh. At least go for Coke Zero (maybe I'm the only one who notices the difference in taste, but it's there... and it's in black, not grey). But why do you really need it? Personally I have nothing against the consumption of soft drinks, so I say: If it is aiding you with your goals, go for it. .
  • primalkiwi
    Options
    For some better reading on the subject I'd suggest 'Primal Blueprint' by Mark Sissons (primal allows some dairy) or 'It Starts with Food' by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig who are also behind the Whole30 program which is a great way to kickstart healthy eating. See the sticky at the top of these boards for more good info :-)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    For some better reading on the subject I'd suggest 'Primal Blueprint' by Mark Sissons (primal allows some dairy) or 'It Starts with Food' by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig who are also behind the Whole30 program which is a great way to kickstart healthy eating. See the sticky at the top of these boards for more good info :-)

^This.

Primal Blueprint does a great job of covering it.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I started eating this way in August 2009 before it was "cool" ;) And I used the three "open" meals, and still do on occasion but I don't "need" them anymore. There are a lot of really good reasons to do so. I used/use them for special occasions or meals out. I use them for birthday parties and visiting people that don't "get it". I use them when I just want a friggin piece of real pizza. I came to paleo after three plus years of monthly appointments with a dietitian and exercise physiologist that couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing weight with the "food pyramid" and then "my plate". I was lucky if I lost 1 pound or sometimes less a month.

In my first month of paleo I lost 10 pounds and about 2 inches from just my waist. By January I had lost 30 pounds and over 10 inches from my waist alone (who knows how many cumulative inches.) All the time eating a few open meals a week. Sometimes they were just a day where I had chili with beans, or Friday pizza night where the kids had pizza and I ate eggplant parmesan. For me open meals made the transition easier, especially with family traditions. Then as time went on I didn't need as many open meals, but they helped make this lifestyle more "doable" for me. The better I felt the less I wanted them, but it was/;is still nice to know that this isn't a religion and if I want to "break the rules" it is acceptable. Keeping it to three meals a week helps me not to fall down the slippery slope into eating crap all the time. I have to plan these meals, if they aren't planned then they can't happen.

If you think that they will help you, then do it. It is your life, and your choice. You may find you feel like crap after you eat some things and choose to forever stop eating them. Or you may find they help you stay on track overall like I did.
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    Cordain's principle of "three open meals" really isn't much different than Sisson's idea of the 80/20 rule.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-8020-revisited/#axzz2q97nw2T4
  • primalkiwi
    Options
    Cordain's principle of "three open meals" really isn't much different than Sisson's idea of the 80/20 rule.

from that link:

This:

"The 80/20 principle isn’t about “cheating” 20% of the time."

and this:

" It isn’t about only shooting for 80%, and there’s nothing wrong with achieving 100%. If you set out to make your Primal commitment 80%, guess what. It will likely fall below that. If you set out to make your commitment 100%, you’ll probably settle in somewhere between 80-95% based on where you’re at in the PB transition."

Mark is really trying to emphasize that 80/20 is not about planning 'cheat' meals but accepting that you can't be 100% all the time when circumstances are beyond your control. The 20% is more a psychological game so that you don't just give up and go all out when a slip up does happen if you know it's okay to do so occasionally.
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    I do think that is why Cordain doesn't specifically say "cheat" meals, he says open meals. Although, I personally see nothing wrong with planning to have a food that isn't paleo on occasion. I am one of the few people I know that has lived this lifestyle long term and not become ill from foods that being paleo excludes. Do I have an iron gut? Or is it because I still have stuff that isn't paleo on occasion? Who knows, but I'll take it :D
  • mixelated
    mixelated Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Since I've been paleo 2+ years and the inflammation has calmed down, it doesn't kill me to accidentally eat something with grain. But I'm still uncomfortable - and I can't do it more than once every month or two without the pain accelerating. It's not worth it. It takes too long to heal. I prefer not to plan a cheat, since I want to reserve my ability to cope with it for real accidents like hidden ingredients or cross-contamination.

That being said, when I was first changing over to paleo, the first three months were full of cheats both accidental and not, because this kind of gigantic lifestyle change doesn't happen overnight. At least for me it didn't. But the pain was instructive.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, "The Primal Blueprint" is a great resource. "It Starts with Food" is good too. Even some cookbooks have a ton of info such as "Practical Paleo" which gives food suggestions based on one's specific health issues. THE best Paleo book so far, imo, was just released on December 31: Chris Kresser "Your Personal Paleo Code".

Seriously, this lifestyle is about real food. Diet Coke is not real food. Artificial sweeteners are a FAIL. I NEVER ever eat them. Ever. Any "Paleo" book that recommends "cheat" meals or diet coke would get thrown straight into the garbage and I would give horrible reviews about it everywhere. Dr. Cordain in the first version of "The Paleo Diet" was on the right track except for being very anti-fat. He could have stressed the importance of fat from grass-fed animals but just chose to discourage fat completely (and promote the wrong kinds imo). It's the only failing, but a major one. It was the first Paleo book I found and due to the anti-fat stance, I walked away from Paleo for another 4 years. :(

I've been at this for 18 months and I'm not at a point where I can be 80/20 Paleo, and I don't ever plan to. I need to be 95/5. Besides, I don't enjoy feeling like crap just to eat certain foods. I don't even miss most things because I remember how they destroyed my health. Primalkiwi is right about if we aim for 80/20, it's a fail. If we aim for 100% but accept that we want a glass of wine very occasionally or a bowl of popcorn or to eat in a restaurant, we can!

PS. I have discovered that wheat/gluten is something I can never "treat" with, so I don't. It's my one hard rule: never cheat with wheat. I absolutely refuse to go back to sick/fat and wheat derails me instantly…. and so does high amounts of sugar!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I do think that is why Cordain doesn't specifically say "cheat" meals, he says open meals. Although, I personally see nothing wrong with planning to have a food that isn't paleo on occasion. I am one of the few people I know that has lived this lifestyle long term and not become ill from foods that being paleo excludes. Do I have an iron gut? Or is it because I still have stuff that isn't paleo on occasion? Who knows, but I'll take it :D

I disagree with this. I don't know ANY long term Paleo person (as long as they are eating enough healthy fats, and not over-consuming foods that should be moderated such as nuts and fruit and processed meats etc) that has EVER had negative health problems from this lifestyle. Eliminating grains, legumes, commercial dairy, industrial seed/veggie/soy oils, artificial sweeteners/preservatives/flavourings will not make people sick. Quite the opposite. Iron gut? No, the eliminated foods lead to our gut HEALING and then we can better tolerate our occasional indulgences.

I accept that you have a different opinion; however, I don't understand why you would persist with the Paleo lifestyle if you believe that healthy and necessary foods are excluded from it. Confused.