Needing help to restart my weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Lifting is 60 minutes, which includes a set of core. Typically at the end of my lifting session I am maxed out. Cardio is 40-45 min, typically a 10 minute warm up, 30 HIIT and 5 min cool down. If I'm really sore from my lifting session I will forego HIIT and do steady state cardio. I can be flexible on cardio days because it's not as tolling as my lifting days. Also, I can add in walking during lunch a few days a week, at least 30 min, but it's just a slow walk, maybe 2.5 mph, that way I don't come back to work sweaty.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What does your weight training program look like?

I think it's going to be in your best interest to make activity increases when possible. This would likely need to come from additional training sessions and/or increased intensity or density in your current training sessions.

Adding some walking will help but I don't know that it will be enough so we may want to look at adding a couple of walking sessions in addition to modifying your training.
  • molissep
    Options
    I understand and I'm not opposed to trying, if that is your suggestion :smile: I will work on my schedule to make it happen as best as I can.

I don't have my book with me today, so this is going from memory - these are 2 examples of the types of programs my trainer has me doing:

Example 1
    Plank - 3 sets, hold as long as possible, 1:20-1:30 min each
    Side plank - 3sets each side, hold as long as possible, usually 1 min each
    Crunches on Bosu ball, 3 sets of 25-30
    Lunges - 3 sets alternating legs, 8 on each leg holding 25 lb weight
    Sumo Squats - 3 sets of 20 holding kettlebell (can't remember weight)
    One Arm Row - 3 sets on each arm, 15 or to failure (whichever comes first), 25 lb weight
    Mountain Climbers - 3 sets, 30 seconds each set
    Bicep Curl - 3 sets of 10, 10 lb weight
    Hammer Curl - same
    Not sure what this is called but from hammer I then hold weights in a curl position and move from holding at my sides to in front of my chest and back to the side, keeping biceps engaged the whole time 3 sets, 10 lb weight
    Walking lunge with leg lift 3 sets (not sure of qty, I do these down the hallway) no weights
    Squat with weighted ball throw, 3 sets for 45 seconds, 16 lb ball (I throw the ball up against the wall, squat and catch)

Example 2
    Trainer refers to this as the 10-5. Each excercise is repeated with no rest between. Start with doing 10 of each excercise, break for 60-80 seconds, then start with 9 of each and follow through to 5 being the last (hope that make sense)
    Mountainclimbers
    Alternating Lunges (10 each leg) with 25 lb weights
    Squats with 45 lb bar on shoulders
    Push ups (on knees)
    V-Ups
    Bicycle Crunches
    Plank (30 seconds)
    Kettlebell Swing (forget weight)
    Tricep Dips on bench
    L Raises
    Chest Press, 3 sets with 20 lb weights
    One Arm Row, 3 sets with 25 lb weights
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How often do you see your trainer/do the above?
  • molissep
    Options
    I see my trainer once a week, but I do this type of workout 2x a week
  • molissep
    Options
    48 hour bump :)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hey!

Sorry, we forgot to reply to this one.

We would like you to increase your activity and see how this effects your overall rate of weight loss, while leaving your diet roughly the same.

Do you have the capability to add in another training session during the week so that you are training 3 days/week with your current training program (add a 3rd resistance day). Additionally, we are not clear on whether or not you are doing cardio AFTER your training or if you are doing your cardio on separate days only? (In other words, you had 2 training days and 2 cardio days, are you doing cardio after your weights as well, or just on the two separate days?).

Additionally, if you have issues getting to the gym on Sundays for your cardio session, can you do a home-based cardio session?

We'd like to add the resistance training day and make an increase to your overall cardio during the week, leave intake to the following for now:

1450 cals
    125 carbs
    60 fat
    120 protein

Please follow up with us in 1 week, or sooner if you have any issues.
  • molissep
    Options
    Hey SS, thanks for the quick reply!

Cardio is on separate days, so I was doing 2 days of cardio and then 2 days of strength.

Just so I have this right, you guys would like me to do 3 days of strength and 2 days of cardio or change one of my cardio days to a strength training day? If I can't make it to the gym in Sunday I could walk or possibly try a light jog as long as it doesn't aggrevate my hip.

Also, am I eating back excercise cals or is 1450 my total goal?

Thanks!!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hey SS, thanks for the quick reply!

Cardio is on separate days, so I was doing 2 days of cardio and then 2 days of strength.

Just so I have this right, you guys would like me to do 3 days of strength and 2 days of cardio or change one of my cardio days to a strength training day? If I can't make it to the gym in Sunday I could walk or possibly try a light jog as long as it doesn't aggregate my hip.

Also, am I eating back excercise cals or is 1450 my total goal?

Thanks!!

The 1450 is total goal, we arrived at this number by taking a look at your previous intake history so the total change in intake is minimal. We just tweaked a few things very slightly.

3 days of strength training, dedicated cardio on Sunday, and based on your answer above, can you add in a short cardio session post-workout? Even if it's a 15 minute low/moderate intensity one, the additional energy expenditure should help.
  • molissep
    Options
    Ok, got it! Yes I should be able to add in a short cardio session on strength days as well. I will also keep walking during lunch.

Talk to you guys next week!
  • molissep
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Here's my progress since last week:
    12/16 - 208.8
    12/17 - 207.8
    12/18 - 206.8
    12/19 - 205.8
    12/19 - 204.2
    12/20 - 203
    12/21 - 202.8
    12/22 - 202.2
    12/23 - 203

So far, so good I would say. Monday I spent the day shopping, literally all day and my stomach wasn't feeling great, so didn't eat much. Tuesday was similar with my stomach acting up. I didn't get to the gym until Thursday, we had another snow storm on Tuesday and I had plans already for Wednesday. Thursday and Saturday I saw my trainer (had to make up missed sessions from the weather), yesterday I didn't do cardio, but I am going today instead...it's my birthday and my husband made dinner plans so I figured better to save my workout for today since I don't know what dinner will bring my way. Tomorrow I'll see my trainer again.

I couldn't set up my macros exactly as you suggested since MFP only let's you select them in increments of 5, but I'm getting as close to them as possible. Also I'm logging workouts as 1 calorie, so that way it doesn't add back or throw off my macros. Both of my strength sessions had cardio involved so I didn't do the extra cardio, and both had me pretty much exhausted.

In addition to the lbs I've lost, I've also lost 5 inches overall since the week before Thanksgiving. We tried to take my body fat and it said it went up .2, which my PT said she doesn't believe is accurate. I haven't been good about drinking my water and I drink at least 2 cups of coffee a day and occasionally tea in the afternoon, which I had that day, so she thought all of those may have been factors. Do you have any suggestions on getting an accurate body fat reading?

Other than that, if you have any other suggestions/tips, I'm all ears. Just wanted to let you both know I really appreciate the time you've taken out to help me, I'm so excited to be losing again, and in the holiday season...that's never happened to me before!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Slipped through due to the holidays so bumping to the top
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Don't worry about what the scale is saying re body fat - they are very inaccurate and can be influenced quite a bit by hydration levels.

Seem like you have had a pretty big drop in weight. Can you get back to us in another week, so weekly water weight fluctuations can be mitigated when looking at the data.

Stick as close as you can to the suggested calories, macros and exercise routine.

Also, can you let us know what your weight has done since you last posted.

And belated Happy Birthday.
  • molissep
    Options
    Hey Sarauk2sf!

Thanks for the bday wishes :)

With the holiday and all of the get togethers revolving around eating I stayed away from the scale, but kept up my workouts. I weighed myself yesterday and was 205.6. I was expecting the scale to have moved more, but luckily not! I didn't weigh today, but I will tomorrow and then I'll repost progress a week from tomorrow.

I did have a NSV - did some shopping and desperately needed new jeans, since almost all of mine fall off now. I went down a size :)

Hope you guys have a Happy New Year and I'll get back with you in a week!
  • molissep
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Hope you're all settled from the holiday maddness!

Here are my numbers from the last week:
    12.31 - 204.6
    1.1 - 205
    1.2 - 204
    1.3 - 206
    1.4 - 206
    1.5 - 206.2
    1.6 - 206.2
    1.7 - 206.4

My eating has not been great and I've been taking in a lot of sodium. I know what my issues have been over the last week and I'm working on ironing them out this week. I am having a hard time meeting the fat goal of 60 grams. I'm usually in the 50 range. Otherwise, I'm meeting my suggested calories/carbs/protein. Some days I am over on protein, like today I will be. Do I need to be overly concerned if I'm over on protein 5-15 grams or so?
  • molissep
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Just checking in...here are my numbers for the last week:
    1.7 - 206.4
    1.8 - 205.7
    1.9 - 204.6
    1.10 - 204.2
    1.11 - 204
    1.12 - 203.6
    1.13 - 202.2
    1.14 - 202.2

I'm back down to my pre-holiday weight. Eating and workouts have been on point the last week. I even got a run in on Sunday without any hip pain, which I'm thrilled about.

That's all for now :)
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I know this is a thread for Sara & SS to comment on, but I just wanted to say - GOOD JOB!

I read so many threads on here where poeple don't follow through on advice given to them - clearly this is a demonstration of what can happen when you do!

You're awesome :flowerforyou:
  • molissep
    Options
    Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:

Sara & SS really know what they are talking about and they're advice has put me back on the losing path :)
  • molissep
    Options
    Me again :)

Here we go...
    1.15 - 202
    1.16 - 202.4
    1.17 - 202.8
    1.18 - 203.6
    1.19 - 201.2
    1.20 - 201.8
    1.21 - 202.8

I unexpectly got TOM, so I believe that's why there was a sudden gain and then drop. Hoping to see my numbers starting with a 1 very soon!