Calcium & Iron

WrenPat60
WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
This isn't a new subject but I just realized that I have been eating one hour after taking my levo pill and just saw the "wait four hours before ingesting any calcium or iron products" on the label. How do others handle breakfast? A slice of bread, milk, or peanut butter contain only 2% calcium/iron. Should I take the levo pill with my other BP and cholesterol pills at bedtime? I really need some pointers! Thank you.

Replies

• coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    I eat about 2 hours after taking my pill. Endo told me to "wait 4 hours..." before I take my calcium pills, so I take those ones with lunch and dinner.
  • coburngirl2
    Ugh my brain has quit working for the night...the levo is supposed to be taking separately from other meds for better absorption.
  • WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you! But what about the calcium and iron in breakfast foods? Just wondering.
  • coburngirl2
    Here is an interesting read. I'm going to look up this study, but if this article proves to be accurate, I may very well switch to taking my Synthroid dose at night and then I don't have to worry about the rest. I always wait an hour to eat after I take it, but I still have my coffee first thing.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/bedtime.htm
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    My understanding was that the issue was with supplements and not necessarily food. My guess is that there isn't enough calcium and iron in a normal breakfast serving to matter.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I take mine in the middle of the night, or late at night, if I've eaten dinner early enough and didn't snack.