Maltitol

Options
tanigrrrrr
tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
It recently came to my attention that Maltitol can cause stalls/ gains in weightloss for keto-locarbers
I was hoping this was my answer to my gain/ stall as I havent been doing Keto long enough, or am small enough that the defecit that I have to not be working.
How long has it taken you to get past your Maltitol hangover and resume losing?

Replies

• FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Maltitol is to be avoided at all costs!

It's usually found in those awful protein bars you see all over the place and that disgusting Coles Simply Less chocolate.

There is an interesting article on Sugar Alcohols here http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/sugar-alcohol.html
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have had success with erythritol, especially erythritol blended with stevia (Z sweet is my preferred).
    Mal = bad. Malitol definitely fits that description.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had only become aware of it recently and cut it out of my diet completely.

Just wondering how long it will take my body to recover from this and I can resume loosing.. im a few kgs up and its driving me crazy
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't stall you too terribly long, it's only 2 or 3 calories per gram, isn't it? Burn some calories, it should be the first to go! :D

Personally, stevia gives me a headache, but I'm okay with aspartame in my Diet Coke, and Sucralose powder in all my baking.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with my coworker, who is Type 1 diabetic (we work at WIC and talk about diet often). She woke up one morning feeling terrible, with her blood sugars through the roof. A little sleuthing revealed she'd eaten two jello snacks with malitol the night before, and I found this article: http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/5068/113060/sorbitol-disguise/.

Personally, I would stay as far away from malitol as possible.