Is anyone taking probiotics to help?

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,620 Member
I just started taking some but I'm not sure I'm even taking the right ones or what I should look for in the probiotic or how long I should wait to see results. Or even what those results are. It's been...well...ok only a week now that I think about it but still....! :smile:

Replies

• 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I was suffering with colitis, I'd take VSL#3 which is a pricy one that is shipped on dry ice (and which was actually shown in studies to be of some benefit). It would help in remission, but not as much once a bad flare was underway.

Now, I've had the j-pouch surgery and use culturelle over-the-counter (align is another one that is supposed to be good) to help maintain gi health. I think it helps some, especially if I have to go on antibiotics for other problems.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I did a quick google search, VSL#3 came up and then I saw the price and I wasn't sure my health was worth it. :smile:

Right now I'm taking a chewable probiotic I got at the Vitamin Shoppe but it doesn't seem like anything is different. Maybe I was hoping it would help with some of the symptoms that haven't completely gone away with the lialda I'm taking.
  • SarahKat81
    SarahKat81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started taking Align after a scope. 6 months later I had another scope and there was less of my intestines affected by the UC. I also changed my diet and tried to stick to low fiber, whole foods (as little processed as possible). Not sure which helped more, but I'm going to continue both! Best of luck to you!