BE Support Group Conversation Thread - 2014

Options

Replies

• ltaylor9597
    Options
    Ugh. Fridays. Why can't I overcome them? Tailspin started Friday and lasted all weekend. Back to it today, but feeling extremely down about the weekend. Hopefully I can get back to logging and working out this weekend.

How did everyone else do?
  • phabphour20
    Options
    Ugh. Fridays. Why can't I overcome them? Tailspin started Friday and lasted all weekend. Back to it today, but feeling extremely down about the weekend. Hopefully I can get back to logging and working out this weekend.

I had a pretty good weekend.

I know that lost weekend feeling all too well. It is very hard sometimes, but I have found that it is important for me to not look ahead. I sound like a broken record on here with this, but you have to take it one day at a time. Tomorrow and today are not related. There is no real construct as a weekend or a year. They exist only in our minds. The only thing that is real is waking up today and going to bed tonight. Do your best for one day and then wake up and do your best again.

Weekends are never lost on Friday night. Saturday is another day. I used to say a week was lost, or a month. Now I am trying to never let a day be lost. Ate some chocolate I didn't need? It happens. Eat a normal dinner and wake up tomorrow and do it all again. This has been helpful for me.

Cheers.
  • kimberlyann88888
    Options
    hi everyone am new on here but i been 7 days free from binge eating its hard some days got to keep my self busy
  • ltaylor9597
    Options

I had a pretty good weekend.

I know that lost weekend feeling all too well. It is very hard sometimes, but I have found that it is important for me to not look ahead. I sound like a broken record on here with this, but you have to take it one day at a time. Tomorrow and today are not related. There is no real construct as a weekend or a year. They exist only in our minds. The only thing that is real is waking up today and going to bed tonight. Do your best for one day and then wake up and do your best again.

Weekends are never lost on Friday night. Saturday is another day. I used to say a week was lost, or a month. Now I am trying to never let a day be lost. Ate some chocolate I didn't need? It happens. Eat a normal dinner and wake up tomorrow and do it all again. This has been helpful for me.

Cheers.

I love this ^^ I think I am going to write that down and post it on my fridge. Maybe read it frequently enough and I can work on changing my thinking. You are so right...it is just another day and another opportunity to do my best. Thanks so much!

Hi Kimberly! Keep up your streak!

I was so proud of myself last night. I came home to all three of my kids in very foul moods. My oldest had to be taken to work and the hubby had some errands to run. I was home with the two youngest and after a lot of arguing I finally had them settled. My nerves were shot though! I was actually pacing through the kitchen opening cabinets and the refrigerator over and over looking for something - anything. I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted a beer or to eat something. Finally, I had a brief moment of sanity and I held onto it with both hands and walked out of the kitchen empty handed. When my husband got home we had dinner and I smiled to myself at the fact that I had avoided a binge. Narrowly, but, I did. I wish there were a way to bottle up that feeling of success so my tiny sane piece could use it to coax my big crazy piece out of the kitchen with it!

Anyhow, hoping today will be just as successful as yesterday!

Have great days!
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread, I need to stop my self destructive ways!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jayme!
  • ltaylor9597
    Options
    Hi everyone! Checking in. Have had a couple decent (binge free) days now. Typically I have 2-3 good ones then slip. I am really hoping to break that cycle. Have my day planned out food wise today and plan to go to the gym after work today. I have found that the last couple of days I have wanted to go to the gym mostly to deal with a lot of stress that has been going on in my life. So far the only days that seem to work with the family's schedule is the Wed/Fri/Sat/Sun set up. Maybe that is good for now. I don't know.

How's everyone doing? Keep coming back and sharing!
  • kddunn94
    Options
    Hi, new here and very tentative... Brief background I'm 53, married, 3 kids 30, 23 and 8. Discovered that binge eating was even a "thing" just about a month ago and that there are others just like me.Then I discovered I have all of the classic signs. I always thought I was just "severely damaged". I haven't quite reached the place where I get any comfort from knowing that there are others like me but I am hoping that I get to a place where I don't feel so ashamed and embarrassed. My first step was to "come out" to my husband. His response was discouraging at best. He said he loves me no matter what I weigh and I should just stop bingeing. He wants to be supportive but just doesn't understand the dynamics. But, you all do... At this point I am just trying not to binge and if I do binge to keep it relatively small. I have discovered that, for right now at least, it's not even one day at a time it's one minute to the next. I appreciate everything I have read on here so far and hope that I can be a productive member of this group.
  • ltaylor9597
    Options
    Hi KDDUNN! I think maybe it is really hard for people who don't deal with BE to understand what it is like. Every time there is a party at my parents my mom insists I take home the sweet goodies. Her reasoning is that my kids will eat it. When I refuse and tell her I can't have that kind of stuff in the house she just looks at me and says "well, sweetie....just don't eat it." Uh huh. Right. If it were only that easy. I am so proud of you for taking that first step with your husband. That couldn't have been easy. Even though he didn't respond ideally at least it is out there. I am still trying to find the strength to do that. I have not come out to any one in my family. I have been so relieved to find this site for that reason. I can talk freely and openly and know that it is a group of people that will really get it. I too only recently realized that I have BED. It was hard to admit to myself at first, but, once I did it was almost a relief in a way. I wish I could put words to it. I am still getting to know the group. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. I noticed a lot of folks (and activity!) on the January Challenge: me vs the binge thread if you want to check it out. I just started checking that thread out recently and decided to join in. For me it is a way to keep giving myself hope and keep myself winning vs the binge winning. Keep coming back and talking! (((hugs)))

Today is proving to be a relatively easy day to stay on track. I started feeling bad in the belly this morning and it has not gotten better. It took me over an hour to eat the small lunch I brought. Nothing tastes good and it is just sitting in my belly like lead. I have this weird metal like taste in my mouth too. I just feel like *bleh*. Looking forward to getting home so I can wrap myself in a blanket and hopefully feel better by tomorrow.
  • phabphour20
    Options
    I am really finding the gym to be a helpful motivator. If I can get myself to go in the morning, then I have this feeling of not wanting to ruin the good work I've done. It helps me get through the day.

It also helps my mood, generally. Can't believe I have gone more in the past 3 weeks than in the prior year. Going to try and keep it up. Nothing crazy... every other day or so.

I can do this!
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am really finding the gym to be a helpful motivator. If I can get myself to go in the morning, then I have this feeling of not wanting to ruin the good work I've done. It helps me get through the day.

It also helps my mood, generally. Can't believe I have gone more in the past 3 weeks than in the prior year. Going to try and keep it up. Nothing crazy... every other day or so.

I can do this!

And they say it really helps with your memory as you grow older.
  • TheBabyBulldog
    Options
    me too!
  • kimberlyann88888
    Options
    i find the weekends are very hard i doing alot better this weeked just go to keep my self busy
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    i find the weekends are very hard i doing alot better this weeked just go to keep my self busy
    This is true for many of us for sure. I do find keeping busy and pre-planning my meals out helps, even if going out socially. Most restaurants have online sites and when in my control I pick a restaurant best for me. Think positively too.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'VE FALLEN FACE FIRST INTO BE AGAIN. THE WEEK HAS BEEN REALLY BAD WITH FOUR DAYS WHERE I LITERALLY ATE TILL IT HURT. HAVING HAD GASTRIC BYPASS NEAR FIVE YEARS AGO, I'M SURE SOMETHING IS AWRY WITH MY ANATOMY. I SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO EAT AS MUCH AS I DID ON EACH OCCASION.

YOU'VE HELPED ME ANALYZE MY BEHAVIOR AND BETTER UNDERSTAND WHY I BINGE. I KNOW WHAT SET ME OFF THIS TIME AND AT LAST I KNOW WHY I STARTED BINGE EATING WHEN I DID. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING OF "NORMAL" SIZE AND WEIGHT AGAIN AS I ONCE THOUGHT. I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHANGE THE WAY I HANDLE CERTAIN SITUATIONS.

I WANTED TO GO OUT TODAY ON A QUICK ERRAND. FEAR OF BUYING BINGE FOOD KEPT ME INSIDE. I'M RELIEVED THAT IT IS TOO LATE FOR ME TO ORDER IN. I PUT THE FOODS INTO MY TRACKER SO I COULD SEE THE DISASTEROUS RESULTS. IT KEPT ME FROM PICKING UP THE PHONE.

THE WEEKEND IS GOING TO BE ROUGH. IF I CAN FINISH CERTAIN THINGS BY TOMORROW, THE ANXIETY WILL CEASE AND THE URGE TO BINGE WILL GO WITH IT. THE KEY TO BEATING BE IS SELF UNDERSTANDING. I THINK? I'M GETTING THERE. I HOPE?

I REALLY DON'T MEAN TO SHOUT BUT I'M HARD OF SEEING. ;-)
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Amanda... I've binge eaten since I can remember... getting up in the middle of the night and scarfing down cookies... I had to be 7 or so. I was skinny then, and for all of my childhood. So in classic binge eating fashion, in my adulthood I've yo-yoed. I lost 70 lbs with MFP and working out... did great. But I've gained 40 back. I don't even want to leave the house. I have been in alcohol recovery for 5 months and thought that would impact my weight loss. Alas, binging has replaced the alcohol. The alcohol numbed and provoked different feelings and challenges that are totally different now. Anyways, hoping to find some inspiring stories and learn more about binge eating and also discovering more about myself.
  • fiercekindness
    fiercekindness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    BE is so complex and has so many layers. I've been really struggling the last few days. And I try to not restrict myself from certain foods and stuff, I don't know. I am going through a lot of things currently. But then again, who isn't right? I struggle with depression, isolation and anxiety, and I do well for a few days out of the week and then I lapse and I cannot talk to people around me because they don't get it. Could use to intentional support.
  • phabphour20
    Options
    I had a rough day yesterday. I just fought it all day and eventually caved.

Back in it this morning. The only thing that matters is getting through today, not what happened yesterday.

I can do this.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    STILL UNDER THOSE DAMNED WAGON WHEELS ON & OFF. I'M FOCUSED ON GETTING BACK TO A DAILY WEIGH IN AND TRACKING MY FOOD. HAD I NEVER STOPPED THE FORMER I BELIEVE I WOULD NOT HAVE BECOME OBESE. HAD I NOT SLACKED OFF ON THE LATTER I WOULD NOT BE BATTLING THIS CURRENT ROUND OF REGAIN.

ENTHUSIASM? NONE AT ALL FOR WORKING OFF THE 19.4LBS I'VE GAINED OR THE EXTRA 5LBS I WANT TO LOOSE. HOWEVER, I'M GOING TO FAKE IT SO I CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN. I HAVE TO SEE EACH BINGE IN MY FOOD LOG AND THE RESULT IN MY WEIGHT GRAPH. THIS KEEPS ME COGNIZANT OF WHAT IS HOLDING ME BACK.

AS OA TAUGHT ME PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION. WHILE I'M NOT A TWELVE STEPPER I'VE LEARNED A LOT FROM THEM. UNFORTUNATELY, HEARING BINGE STORIES AT MEETINGS INCREASED MY URGE TO BINGE AND DECREASED MY STRENGTH TO RESIST BINGING. NONETHELESS I HAVE OA BOOKS THAT ARE VERY HELPFUL.

I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SEPARATE BINGE EATING FROM MY WEIGHT. FANTASIZING ABOUT RETURNING TO MY OLD LOW CAL NO WEIGHT GAIN BINGE HABITS ARE A REGULAR THING RIGHT NOW. THIS WILL NOT HELP ME OVER THE LONG RUN BUT IT SURE WOULD HELP IN THE SHORT TERM.

I'M IN A QUANDARY WITH SCATTERBRAINED THINKING. FOR STARTERS I HAVE TO FACE THE AVOIDANCE ISSUE WHICH INVARIABLY LEADS TO BINGES. OVERWHELMED IS THE BEST DESCRIPTION OF HOW I FEEL LATELY AND BE IS HOW I VENT THIS FEELING. FACING UN PLEASANTRIES HEAD ON AS I ONCE ALWAYS DID TO WILL HELP.

THANKS ALL FOR BEING HERE AND GIVING ME A SAFE PLACE TO AIR THIS STINKY LAUNDRY OF MINE. TIME TO GET CRACKING AT MY AVOIDANCE ISSUES SO I CAN STAY ON THE WAGON INSTEAD OF UNDER IT.

ALL CAPS FOR ME CAUSE I'M HARD OF SEEING! ;-)
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Its been a while and gaining 10 pounds in three weeks shows I really let go, never stopped eating and drinking, better now but everything christmassy had to run out. Didn't even know I liked christmas that much x Oh well better late than never, just wish I could be normal for now will just have to work on the difference between whats full and whats obscene seems I cannot tell the difference
This discussion has been closed.