so many choices which is the right one

Options
OregonShell
OregonShell Posts: 44 Member
Ok I don't know if anyone else has asked this one yet but I am going to go ahead and ask anyway.

First of all I have not done any kind of "legitimate exercise" in a while now. so I guess my question is multi process... I am getting back on track again after a long hiatus from seriously healthy eating (ie: counting calories and doing some kind of exercise)

1) Starting off is it better to join a gym or buy something and work out a home?
2) if work out at home what would you suggest to start with equipment wise.. .( I need to remain budget minded so I would look for deals and have to keep it under $2-300)
3) for someone like me (who is seriously out of shape, in the process of quitting smoking, and 55-60 pounds over weight, other than that no restrictions health wise) what kind of exercise would you suggest to start?

There is just so much information out there and so many options and choices It can be over whelming.. I don't want to go in full bore and burn out, but at the same time I don't want to be complacent and waste time and money. I have belonged to a gym in the past actually about 6 months or so (total)off and on for the last few years. I love working out, I love the high after. But I seem to in the past come up with excuses to quit going, ( financial, time away from family and husband, feeling selfish for taking me time, etc...) In the past I have only used the weight machines not the free weights and the elliptical mostly occasionally the treadmill at the gym. Last year I bought a nice bicycle and started riding but once the weather turn on me and it got to cold or wet out I stopped it now hangs in the garage waiting for May when I can pull it back down. ( I live in Oregon where it is cold and wet most of the year)( about 4-5 months of decent outdoor weather)

Anyway I am rambling..

Thanks for your input and advise.
OregonShell

Replies

• OregonShell
    OregonShell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and found me a weight bench, I have 5#, 10# and 20# dumbbell sets. To start off with. I am going to invest in a bench press bar and some weights but might have to wait a couple of weeks before I can get them. And for Cardio I got a stationary bike since I don;t like treadmills and a good elliptical is to expensive for me... I figure I have a good start and that I can build upon.
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    May I suggest kettle bells. I have a 10 and 15lb. I YouTube different exercises but its a total body workout and its quick and effective.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I work out in my garage I have a bag, some weights, a bench ect but I find I am more focused at the gym.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    As far as the guilt I started going in the morning so it doesn't take from family time. My biggest issue is when I work out I want to eat more so some days I get scared to work out because I know I will do better food wise if I don't that is what I am currently battling with.