High Cholestoral because of hashimotos?

Options
stonel94
stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
So I have recently been diagnosed with high cholestoral, like really high (over 300) but I have a very good diet, very little red meat or eggs, and not too much sat fat, and also I work out regularly and am generally active. So, I don't see how it could be diet related especially since I track all that on here. So, has anyone had this issue with hypo? i've heard it can happen, if so what did you do for it?

Replies

• iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I too have high cholesterol and Hashimoto's.
    I heard that Synthroid and/or hypothyroidism can cause high cholesterol, but being overweight can too.
    So i'm going to reserve judgement until after I hit by goal weight + 3 months. (It takes 3 months to see changes in cholesterol.)
    If my weight is right & my numbers are still high, then I'll worry about whether my disease (or meds) is causing it...
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    well i'm not overweight, and I'm in good shape, and eat healthily, so does anyone have a more definitive answer?
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My total cholesterol was 367 before getting my Hashi's diagnosis at age 25. It is definitely a symptom.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/symptomsproblems/a/cholesterol.htm
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Mine was as high as 249 at one point and I could not figure it out because like you, I eat healthy and am not overweight - then I went off the pill and switched from levothyroxine to armour and now it's around 140 and it dropped fast.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    They killed my thyroid. I take synthroid, and my cholesteral is too low (69). I eat right, exercise regularly, lost over 100 lbs. and they tell me I need raise my cholesterol.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My Cholesterol runs around 190 and I have Hashimotos. I think like most of our body's functions we're all different and failure in one part will affect another part differently.
  • kristenfischer12
    Options
    i started synthroid TODAY and was at doc yesterday--high cholesterol is definitely related---google it. she believes that the thyroid isn't properly metabolizing my cholesterol so it's gone sky high.

new to meds, hopefully they help...i hate having to take another med.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How were your other panel numbers tho? Your HDL, LDL and triglycerides? My total cholesterol jumped from 180 to about 220 after my TT, but the other numbers stayed the same. I eat a high fat, high fiber, whole food diet so I'm never really concerned about the total cholesterol number. If your HDL is high and LDL low, I wouldn't sweat it at all. My husband got his down to the mid 200s by supplementing with red yeast rice. I think it was about 280 initially. We shoot for about 35 grams of fiber a day and eat lots of healthy fats and plenty of meat.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimotos but have never had a cholesterol problem mine was 157. I have heard that if your meds are not at the proper level it can affect your cholesterol.
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Genetics also play a part but hypo has been proven to raise cholesterol. The good/bad cholesterol balance is important though.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My total cholesterol was 367 before getting my Hashi's diagnosis at age 25. It is definitely a symptom.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/symptomsproblems/a/cholesterol.htm

Ditto. Mine was 356 before diagnoses. He told me to lose 40 lbs, I lost 45, and to adjust my diet. I went raw vegan (not that I'm recommending that), cut out gluten and all processed foods so strictly produce and tofu. Stuff I don't have to cook. But what really helped with my cholesterol was the addition of granola. I buy bags of Bob's Red Mill crunchy coconut granola and Muesli. I eat it like a raw snack. I did this 8 years ago and dropped it from over 250 to 180 in a few months before I knew it was a symptom of something bigger.

I've heard dietary cholesterol doesn't affect serum cholesterol so cutting out things like bacon and egg yolks isn't necessary, but I figured it can't hurt, so that's part of the reason I went vegan. It might have been overkill, but I got my number down.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    High cholesterol and high bp can both be side effects of hypo. I had them both. My numbers shot up. Once my med levels were optimal, they both went back down--even though I still had all my "hypo weight."

But it was a little scary with the time it took to get adjusted. Insulin resistance/diabetes can also be a side effect. And for a luck few of us--hypoglycemia! UGH!