Calories?

Options
Hi everyone. I am hypothyroid (after having Graves and not treating the Graves, it eventually turned to hypo) and take 150 mcg of Synthroid and 5mcg of Cytomel twice a day. I gained 50 pounds when my thyroid took a turn. I have eliminated gluten and sugar (most of the time), and am doing a low carb, low calorie diet BUT NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT! This week I stopped eating back my exercise calories to try to get things moving, but no change on the scale. I'm doing 1400 calories a day and now not eating back exercise calories.

It is so frustrating. I've read things about eating more / eating less, and would love to hear from YOU GUYS about what has worked for you. Is anyone losing with hypothyroid? And if so, did you have success up-ing your calories or by cutting them significantly?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It took me all of 2013 to lose 20 lbs. My endo says that b/c I take Synthroid (88mcg), I can lose weight just like anyone else. Yes, I lost, but really, really slowly.
  • a_dogsbestfriend
    a_dogsbestfriend Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, editorgrrl. Did you have to lower calories to lose the weight? OR did you go with the "Eat more to lose more" philosophy?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I ate TDEE - 20%. I tried eating more, and stopped losing.
  • kristers03
    kristers03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo after having my graves disease treated with radio iodine and it has taken me almost 2 years to lose 70lbs. I eat around 1200 calories a day and I'm not the most strict with eating my exercise calories back. Sometimes i do, and sometimes I don't. That way if I'm over one day i don't freak out.
  • a_dogsbestfriend
    Options
    Thanks, Kristers. I like the idea of being flexible with exercise calories. My endo told me to "eat like a bird," so I guess lowering my calories is the way to go. I just need to be patient, right?
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    My endo told me to "eat like a bird," so I guess lowering my calories is the way to go. I just need to be patient, right?

This list has seen me snark this before...my endo told me he's also hypo, same #s as me. Yet, he doesn't take anything for it and just "pushes through" - my point being that endos are sadly not the reliable source of wisdom that they damned well ought to be.

The directions to you were ridiculously unclear. I strongly recommend having your doc (endo, GP, dietitian, whoever) MEASURE your RMR. It's non-invasive and simple. Then you can use one of the online calculators like scooby's workshop to figure out a reasonable daily caloric goal for you. Based on your own real numbers.

Yes, 1400 seems so reasonable, but without knowing your individual RMR...could be way off.

It *does* get better, btw.
  • maracuya23
    Options
    It's taken me about 11 months to lose 21lbs. The first several months, I was undermedicated, so that made it harder.

I second the suggestion to have your RMR tested directly- it's super helpful information.

The other big thing that has helped me is taking a closer look at my nutrition, and working with my Dr to address some nutritional deficiencies so that my medicine could work optimally.

It's a slow road. Still possible to lose weight! I'm 5 5", currently 177, and my current maintenance calories are around 1950/day. I aim for 350-500 cal/day deficit, but consider it a win if I stay under 1850 on days when I'm especially hungry.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    My endo told me to "eat like a bird," so I guess lowering my calories is the way to go. I just need to be patient, right?
    This list has seen me snark this before...my endo told me he's also hypo, same #s as me. Yet, he doesn't take anything for it and just "pushes through" - my point being that endos are sadly not the reliable source of wisdom that they damned well ought to be.

The directions to you were ridiculously unclear.
    See, this is a great example of "everybody's different." I had the complete opposite reaction to this. I thought "she's so lucky to have an endo who understands, rather than dismissing her valid concerns." Every 3 months, my endo tells me I can lose weight just like everybody else. Meanwhile, I've been eating like a bird since November 2012, and I haven't even lost a dress size. I started at 1,200 gross (I'm really short, and had a starting BMI of 28). Now I net 1,250 (1,400 gross), and I get snark in my news feed about "certain people aren't eating enough."

Before I was diagnosed w/ Hashi's, I gained 20 lbs. in what felt like an instant. My body (and mind) felt foreign. "Eating like a bird" (and Synthroid) helped me feel like me again.

YMMV, and I hope no one has to eat as little as I do. It ain't fun, but the alternative was (for me) way worse. Now that I've lost the weight, I've changed my focus to getting stronger. Being so patient for such a long, long time taught me that I'm already stronger than I ever gave myself credit for.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am at maintenance right now, but I feel like my metabolism, even when I'm properly medicated is just slower than normal. I am on Armour, and feel great - my main lingering symptom is being cold 24/7. That being said, the meds can never 100% replace what a healthy thyroid does.

My baseline maintenance calories are currently 1300 (I am 5'3" and very small framed) - I eat back all of my exercise calories on days I do exercise (I use an HRM for cardio and a fitbit to estimate general calorie burn all day). MFP initially set my maintenance baseline to 1,450, which I tried for 5 weeks. Even though I am the food-weighing/portion control/exercise measuring FREAK, I gained up to two pounds each week for those 5 weeks. I gained a little/slowly on 1400 as well. I may try 1350 in a few weeks and see how that goes.

I would love to have my RMR measured - I think I will look into that. It would be interesting to see where I fall vs. the average person my size, vs. MFP's recommendations.

Everybody is different, and I don't think it is possible to lose weight unless you are optimally medicated. But that being said, I think hypo metabolisms are just a little slower than everyone else's, unfortunately.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and eat about 1600 plus about half of my exercise cals. I will binge if I eat too few cals. I am still trying to find the right balance myself with this silly little thyroid issue :)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

The directions to you were ridiculously unclear.
    See, this is a great example of "everybody's different." I had the complete opposite reaction to this. I thought "she's so lucky to have an endo who understands, rather than dismissing her valid concerns." Every 3 months, my endo tells me I can lose weight just like everybody else. Meanwhile, I've been eating like a bird since November 2012, and I haven't even lost a dress size. I started at 1,200 gross (I'm really short, and had a starting BMI of 28). Now I net 1,250 (1,400 gross), and I get snark in my news feed about "certain people aren't eating enough."

Before I was diagnosed w/ Hashi's, I gained 20 lbs. in what felt like an instant. My body (and mind) felt foreign. "Eating like a bird" (and Synthroid) helped me feel like me again.

YMMV, and I hope no one has to eat as little as I do. It ain't fun, but the alternative was (for me) way worse. Now that I've lost the weight, I've changed my focus to getting stronger. Being so patient for such a long, long time taught me that I'm already stronger than I ever gave myself credit for.

I see how you mean, and *I* wasn't very clear myself :embarassed: What irked me was the lack of clarity as to what "like a bird" means. When your metabolism's low, there's so little room for error that I think it deserves quantification - and for that matter, measurement.

Her endo's response was way better than what you got, agreed. What I just don't get is why they aren't uniformly *measuring* and giving fact-based, useful support. I mean, you would hope that we'd all automatically get RMR and an offer for referral to a nutritionist to work with the results, you know? Endos KNOW metabolism is affected, so the collective lack of helpfulness aggravates me no end.
    </rant>

ETA: on a more cheerful and YMMV note, I net 1310/day (eating back exercise cals). 1200 was gonna get someone hurt - if I didn't freeze & hibernate to death first :bigsmile:
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Have you considered switching to armour thyroid? I have Hashimoto's as well and tried every combination of synthetic prior to switching to armour and it has been vastly superior in every way. Low calorie, low carb is definitely not the answer as it causes your T3 to slow production - I average anywhere from 1550-2000 calories depending on the day/my activity level and am able to lose. Honestly the key has been a balanced diet that is a bit higher in protein with good complex carbs and healthy fats - but the most important factor for me and being able to eat more (besides switching to armour) is lifting weights. If you are not doing it, you should start - there are a lot of beginner programs - start with bodyweight or dumbbells, increase ultimately to barbells - complex lifts (bench press, squat, Deadlift, overhead press , rows etc...). The more muscle you have the more you will burn and the more you can eat - regardless of your thyroid condition if your levels are stable and in range.
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm still being tested but feel much better on 100 mcg. I can exercise which would have been impossible to begin with. I'm gaining weight on 1200 cals plus some exercise cals though. My weight had stabilised at about 20 pounds overweight. So not sure what to do. I can't help but think that eating as I was was borderline hypo and continuing to exercise is the way forward. I wasn't overweight when younger but ate alot of calories .
  • a_dogsbestfriend
    Options
    I have asked 100s of times for my endo to switch me to Armour. He refuses. I really need a new doctor. He says Armour is not reliable -- every batch is different, etc. But I've heard tons of success stories regarding Armour. May be time to switch doctors.

I just recently started lifting again. I agree that strength training is my best bet.

The whole hypo thing is just so frustrating. I appreciate all the information.

I will ask about the RMR testing. Thanks, all!
  • maracuya23
    Options
    I had my RMR tested at a university hospital's exercise physiology research lab. If you're trying to find a place that will do the direct breath measurement type of test, as opposed to the bodpod method (where they estimate based on body composition, which can be substantially off for hypo folks.)
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've tried the method where you work out how many calories it will take to maintain your goal weight and just eat that. I don't have a huge amount to lose. I'm 11 stone at the mo (5 foot 2) and want to get to 9 stone. I'm averaging about 1600/1700 a day and I'm steadily losing a pound a week. Although in my experience this will drop to 1/2 a pound a week when I hit about 10.7. I also unintentionally calorie cycle, so some days I'll be way under and some days way over. My body seems to like this - keeps it on its toes! I couldn't lose a thing on 1200 calories and it also made me really angry being that hungry!

I'm also vegetarian, so not sure if that makes any difference. Oh and drink litres and litres of water every day and the only caffeine I have is green tea.

With regards to exercise, I haven't started back at the gym yet, but I do walk a lot. I never eat these calories back though unless I'm genuinely really really hungry.

I also found that unless my TSH level was low, I couldn't lose at all. Mine has been steady at 1.2-1.4 for the past two years now. I'm on 100mg of thyroxine a day which I take at night before bed.

Good luck!
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love reading all of these success stories! I am in the same position as the OP - we need to remember there is hope :flowerforyou:
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't know this group existed when I started. There was no one to tell me my endo was being kind of a jerk. No one to tell me I would lose really slowly but I would lose.

When you're a thyroid success story, please pay it forward!
  • a_dogsbestfriend
    Options
    Agreed! Finding a lot of hope with these success stories. Thanks all for sharing what has or has not worked for you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I haven't been diagnosed yet. I'm waiting for the doc to review the ultrasound and lab work. But I'm pretty certain that it's coming. Anyway, I just found this group and wanted to say that this thread has been exceptionally helpful. Hopefully, once I can get established with the doctor that I actually need some kind of treatment for my thyroid, I can begin to get things on track again with my weight loss. Thanks so much!