Snakes in Australia

Options
alc212
alc212 Posts: 124 Member
Ok so this is nothing to do with dieting, weight loss etc. But I figure MFPers are a friendly bunch and there are a few Aussies here.

This summer so far I've lost two of my beautiful little dogs to brown snakes. The last one today, a few hours ago.

Theres no saving them once bitten, its just too quick.

Does anyone know a way to repel/get rid of snakes? We live in a semi rural area, surrounded by bushland so there is no getting rid of everything on the ground outside our perimeter.

Our neighbours lost all of their dogs in one hit to a brown. They just seem to be everywhere. I can't lose anymore! :(

Replies

• mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Yep the browns are very nasty. I have seen a solar powered snake repeller at my local mitre 10 - I think it sends vibrations through the ground - it looks a bit like a solar light - apart from that all you can do is not give them any hiding spots.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't have any ideas but I'm really sorry to hear you lost your dogs. Hopefully none come in my yard or my dog would be chasing it.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dogs :( dogs unfortunately don't cope with snake bites that well. Cats for some reason can survive them much easier. With Browns the only things to do is make sure there is no debris/leaves around, grass on your property is always short and there isn't anything to attract them. Eg chickens have mice hanging around etc. Also water, they are attracted to water which is hard when dogs have to drink it too. We made my grandparents fence into the ground and have no gaps even on the gates so they can slide under. I hope everyone's pets stay safe. I know my dog would be chasing one if she saw it
  • headzy
    headzy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So sorry about losing your dogs, it is like losing one of the family :( I don't live on property so I don't have that problem but I would keep them inside during the day in the months when the snakes are around and take them for a couple of walks on a leash for exercise. They have been advising to keep your dogs inside in this hot weather.
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try keeping the mice and rodents down because most of the time that is what they are after. Even if you haven't noticed them in your house, they could be around sheds and garages etc.

I don't know if those electronic repellers work, but it can't hurt!
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    We have those electric repellers and since then no snakes. There had only been one sighting of a python a few weeks before we got the repellers so it may be coincidence or they may work. We live on a quarter acre block that backs onto a nature reserve. The snake was on our back stairs. I have a MASSIVE phobia of snakes after being bitten by an eastern brown as a child, so there's no way in hell I wanted to take any chances.

The ones we got were from Sureguard and cost about $50 or so each. We set four of them up around our pool yard out the back. The front yard is mainly concrete and the electronic repellers don't do well with big expanses of concrete according to the instructions they come with.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've got no advice but just wanted to express how sorry I am that you've lost your hairy babies.:cry:
    We've got three and in Tassie we have to dodge Tiger snakes.
    They are always heading to water if they cross our yard.
    We've been lucky so far.:flowerforyou:
  • Spudnut72
    Spudnut72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the dogs. We put in a couple of solar powered snake repellers. Living near Nudgee wetlands we usually get one every six to eight weeks or so. Repellers in for about 9 months and only one small tree snake and I think he came in from over the shed side where there are no repellers. I grew up in Nth Qld and have a snake phobia after a couple of close encounters with Taipans so I keep the lawn mowed and the gardens tidy to eliminate hiding spots.
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    So sorry for your loss...it's like losing a family member. We live in the Redlands in Brisbane and get many snakes mostly pythons but last year two Eastern Browns. We keep our yard clear at all times but we feel the safest thing is to keep our fur baby inside. We also have all doors snake guarded at the bottom to prevent them from coming inside (I have a huge snake phobia) Good to hear great reports about the snake repellers as we were just discussing buying some. Take care x
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have no idea however I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your dogs. We had a close call with a tick recently and that was harrowing enough. when something like that happens you realize how much they are actually a part of the family.
  • alc212
    Options
    Thank you all :) Will look into those repellers, I've heard conflicting reports on them, but if theres a chance they work and it means not losing another dog I'm willing to take the chance!
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dog, Haven't used the snake repellers personally but a work mate has and believes they are working as he hasn't had any snakes in his yard since setting them up, also try and find some injectable vitamin c usually sold at rural stores has worked a treat on our dogs when bitten by snakes and ticks, I heard of the injections from a vet at moree, not 100% what the injections do but it gives you more time to get to a vet.
  • alc212
    Options
    Thanks for that, will look into Vit C, thats something I hadn't come across. I have the repellers now, we didn't see any more snakes but the weather started to shift to cooler soon after so can't say for sure if they have had any effect. Before the repellers arrived we had another dog bitten by a red belly, managed to get her to a vet where she spent 3 weeks and had a lot of (quite costly!) treatment, and now apart from a scar and some residual weakness in her hind legs she's a-ok. A bad summer for us, three in a couple of months!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I live in suburbia in S.A and we have stacks of brown snakes. My cat has been bit once, the other time she ate 1 and managed to come out of the ordeal unscathed! I lost another cat 2 yrs ago to a brown snake & I'm petrified.

See if you have a local snake catcher in your area & perhaps like their Facebook page if they have 1 and if you are on Facebook. I've done that & they are actually pretty helpful. They say the repellents as in the vibration type 1's are a load of hogwash, the vibrations do nothing (apparently). They tried to get me to get some other spray repellent that they do, I didn't end up getting it done as it was expensive & I honestly wouldn't know if it was legit (could just be some water for all I know).

The snake guy that came out told me to just keep the yard tidy in the warmer months, don't leave water around (kinda hard with a pool!) & be mindful that they are out there. As for your pets (sorry to hear about the loss of your animals), you can't stop them from chasing things that move, unfortunately.