Fast Food? Takeaways?

Options
dreja89
dreja89 Posts: 18 Member
Is there any particular takeaway food anyone would recommend for LCHF? Housemates want to get pizza, which is obviously WAY out, but is there anything else I can safely eat beyond burger with no bread and salad?

Replies

• DehydrationStation
    Options
    Pizza is not WAY out. Just eat the cheese and toppings.
  • dreja89
    Options
    You really reckon I could get away with just scraping it? lol :D
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    As long as you don't get too much tomato sauce and avoid any starchy toppings.

Just order Meat Lover's Pizza.
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If I would order something I would go for shawarma, but that's pretty common in the Netherlands. Our pizza place also has other dishes like a piece of meat (beef, chicken) with mushrooms and a cream sauce. With those orders you also get french fries or bread, but someone else could eat that. I think it all depends where you live..
  • dreja89
    Options
    Well, I just scraped half a pizza clean of cheese, pepperoni and minced beef. Had some olives, and probably too much cheese - but even if I've overdone the fat a bit I've been reasonably well behaved...
  • dreja89
    Options
    Louisette - I think fast food is a little more sophisticated where you live :D the only place round here that does take-away meat pads it with breadcrumbs and soya.
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Arby's without the bun, grilled chicken from KFC, and last night since it was a 'crazy' New Year's night, I had the privilege of trying a Big Mac without the bun (I would not recommend it). I find it is a very DIFFICULT adventure to not be outvoted in fast food regard, because people normally want it for convenience...so when you stop and say, "Well....hold on, let me look at the menu/look it up on MFP/think of some weird low carb combo", or they have to go, well wait, "That one doesn't work for her..."/drive out of the way to find a low carb version....It really does make it difficult. So, I just in all honesty, try to avoid it AS much as possible anymore. I'll eat before I go out as much as possible. (Last night I just happened to work late before the party).

I sometimes feel like I am far beyond my years, because last night was just far too INSANE for me :-P With a combo of my seizures, working late, lack of nutrition last night, and staying up late...I slept until almost 3 today!

I've noticed too since starting Keto, that for some odd reason, even when I do eat fast food, I have a KILLER headache the next day. I had to take two ibuprofen this morning, which is rare for me. I didn't drink last night. I had my no bun big mac and half a small fry. Seven Fritos,with a chili dip which I had to eat because I was still hungry after the Mcd's trip. I only drank Cranberry seirrra mist. Then on another gas station run I picked up turkey jerky (which my body was begging me at that point). My body just can't handle that nonsense anymore :-/
    '
  • tastethis
    tastethis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a double baconator, no bun, with extra cheese kinda girl. I also got oven baked chicken last night at Texas Roadhouse...you just have to be careful not to be tempted by the rolls! haha. Mexican places are pretty easy to order from too, just get meat and cheese, maybe some guac if you like it. I like the shredded chicken.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    Just going to give this a bump and say WINGS! But you have to be sure they aren't going to be breaded (which, btw, the boneless ones are breaded 99.9% of the time).

I have an iPhone and there is a (kinda crappy, not very thorough) free restaurant keto app. If more people use it and update it, it would be AWESOME. I was shocked that it had some regional chains, like my beloved but not-keto-friendly Bojangles. The downside is that, at present, a lot of places don't have any foods submitted. But it really helped me when I was on a road trip and we had to hit a drive-thru. Chic-fil-a nuggets with a side salad with the highest fat dressing they had. Wasn't a perfect meal, but I was able to stay in my macros for the day with no problem.

I just searched "keto" in the app store. The logo is kinda blue-ish with a piece of bacon :) Lets all use it and make it better!
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just going to give this a bump and say WINGS! But you have to be sure they aren't going to be breaded (which, btw, the boneless ones are breaded 99.9% of the time).

I have an iPhone and there is a (kinda crappy, not very thorough) free restaurant keto app. If more people use it and update it, it would be AWESOME. I was shocked that it had some regional chains, like my beloved but not-keto-friendly Bojangles. The downside is that, at present, a lot of places don't have any foods submitted. But it really helped me when I was on a road trip and we had to hit a drive-thru. Chic-fil-a nuggets with a side salad with the highest fat dressing they had. Wasn't a perfect meal, but I was able to stay in my macros for the day with no problem.

I just searched "keto" in the app store. The logo is kinda blue-ish with a piece of bacon :) Lets all use it and make it better!

Just downloaded that app! Love it, thank you!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Arby's without the bun, grilled chicken from KFC, and last night since it was a 'crazy' New Year's night, I had the privilege of trying a Big Mac without the bun (I would not recommend it). I find it is a very DIFFICULT adventure to not be outvoted in fast food regard, because people normally want it for convenience...so when you stop and say, "Well....hold on, let me look at the menu/look it up on MFP/think of some weird low carb combo", or they have to go, well wait, "That one doesn't work for her..."/drive out of the way to find a low carb version....It really does make it difficult. So, I just in all honesty, try to avoid it AS much as possible anymore. I'll eat before I go out as much as possible. (Last night I just happened to work late before the party).

I sometimes feel like I am far beyond my years, because last night was just far too INSANE for me :-P With a combo of my seizures, working late, lack of nutrition last night, and staying up late...I slept until almost 3 today!

I've noticed too since starting Keto, that for some odd reason, even when I do eat fast food, I have a KILLER headache the next day. I had to take two ibuprofen this morning, which is rare for me. I didn't drink last night. I had my no bun big mac and half a small fry. Seven Fritos,with a chili dip which I had to eat because I was still hungry after the Mcd's trip. I only drank Cranberry seirrra mist. Then on another gas station run I picked up turkey jerky (which my body was begging me at that point). My body just can't handle that nonsense anymore :-/
    '

I wonder if you encountered MSG somewhere in there...this gives some people headaches.

I search out salad bars and buffets. I hate Golden Corral (practically everything in there is crappy/has added starch/sugar/low quality oils). I do OK with the salad- and hot bars at Whole Foods Market. I don't like most of their salad dressings, but I can do with their tahini dressing, and they also provide olive oil and vinegar. They usually have shredded chicken, hard boiled egg, cottage cheese, shredded hard cheese, sometimes tuna, sometimes shrimp, and a good assortment of raw salad veggies and lettuces.

Their hot bar almost always has rotisserie chicken, steamed veggies, and other good options.

You can also opt to get a little salad, plus sliced meat from the deli counter.
  • DintheT
    Options
    Also, Chipotle!

Do a salad with no rice or beans (AND skip their dressing, it is high carb)!

Play with their calculator to find combinations that work for you
    http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx!

I like the sofritas or barbacoa with fajita veggies, green tomatillo salsa, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole!

With the sofritas it is 580 cal, 43.5 g fat, 13.5 g net carbs, 20.5 g protein.

With the barbacoa it is 600 cal, 40.5 g fat, 11 g net carbs, 36.5 g protein.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Wendy's, no bun or ketchup is a staple of mine to this day.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Carl's Jr. will wrap any of their burgers in lettuce. The low carb thick burger is my fav. Glad we finally have them here.( Northern Alberta)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Burger King triple stacker, no bun (sometimes two of them) is my go-to. I've also been known to eat the Little Caesar's Triple Meat without the crust.