Fat Fast

Options
Trying to perfect this fat fast thing. Made a good attempt at it last week for a few days. First day was excruciating because of hunger. I read up on reddit and saw that a few people take some Apple cider vinegar to help curb appetitie. Seemed to do the trick! I wasn't hungry during the day after lunch!

Anyone else have any experiences on fat fasts?

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I just started one today. will see how it goes. I am planning on drinking a big glass on lemonade with salt to curb hunger.

how much did you lose and were you able to maintain it?
  • ketoketoketo3
    Options
    I didn't weigh myself. I know this defeats the purpose somewhat but man, I fcking hate those scales - they yeild way too much power. But yeah, I can tell from how my clothes fit that it definitely made a difference.

Today wasn't too bad - had bulletproof coffee for breakfast and that seemed to stave off hunger for longer.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh myself. I know this defeats the purpose somewhat but man, I fcking hate those scales - they yeild way too much power. But yeah, I can tell from how my clothes fit that it definitely made a difference.

Today wasn't too bad - had bulletproof coffee for breakfast and that seemed to stave off hunger for longer.

Are you doing it every week?

Yeah, I am not very worried abt the number on the scale either. As long as my waist shrinks I am happy. I am trying to lose the last 20#.

I am doing IF till 11 AM with a coffee + 1tbsp coc milk + 1 tbsp MCT oil. I don't have any problems getting till noon. Its once after I get home in the eve after work, that I get hungry and thats when I think more abt food. But will stick to this for as many days as possible. 5 days will be a success, will do it for 3 days for sure.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's meant to be a weekly routine, but more of a technique you can use if you're not having luck during the induction phase of an Atkins diet and then only for the very short term (e.g., ~5 days max). A "fat fast" sounds neither appetizing nor particular healthy to me, as you're ignoring your protein macro and other important nutrients, and that's not something you would want to do long-term. Are you having problems losing weight when keeping your calories in check and following normal keto macros for a sustained period of time?
  • ketoketoketo3
    Options
    No, I'm not doing it every week. I tried it for a few days last week and it seemed to go pretty well. I upped my protein in the days following. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I thought I'd be able to perfect on last week's "trial run". Turns out my mood vastly improves when I incorporate more protein so I'm going to take what I've learned and not employ it as a tactic again until I feel there's been an unwavering period of plateuing and am in need of a kick start.

Sixpacklady - I hear you. The hunger gets quite loud when there are fewer distractions. I generally got in from work, ate, then had a shower and an early night. - Pretty acceptable in the winter when it's cold and miserable outside. Good luck and I hope you notice a difference!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Scales lie! Scales lie a LOT! Go onto mybodygallery and you'll see girls at the same height and weight but with drastically different fat% and fitness levels. THOSE are what matter. Go by the trend of how your clothes fit over time, and how much more physical exertion you can do without sweating or feeling fatigued.

Fat fasts aren't really meant to be done on a weekly basis...
    They're recommended for "sometimes", when you have trouble getting INTO ketosis.
    If you feel great doing them, and you're keeping your nutrients in there, knock yourself out. :) I'm not gonna judge.

I've never heard of lemonade+salt or vinegar for curbing appetite. That just seems gross. And one of the main points of keto is to not ever be hungry. If you're hungry, you're doing it wrong. /s :)

Keto is for reversing your insulin resistance and metabolic syndromes, clearing cholesterol from your arteries and repairing the other damage done by obesity. It's not good to starve yourself on it. Go ahead and eat some bacon and eggs!
  • ketoketoketo3
    Options
    Hahaha, very refreshing post - thanks for that. This whole thing is still novel to me and I'm just exploring the different avenues mainly out of curiosity to find out what works for me. So far (after just 3 weeks), I've learned:

-That my hair is *not* supposed to fall out in vast strands in the shower or after brushing
    -No sugar and plenty of fat in its place makes my skin glow and almost negates the need for moisturisers
    -Energy crashes mid afternoon are not normal
    -That irritating dermatitis was being caused by the non-fat dairy in my morning latte
    -It is possible to wake up feeling happy and stay like that for the remainder of the day

I've also learned that protein definitely needs to play an important part too so no more fat fasts for the foreseeable future. As I said above, I'll keep them for when I need a bit of a kick up the backside. It's all a learning process!