Hypoparathyroidism

Options
coburngirl2
coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
Anybody else get diagnosed with this? I was because of 2 of my parathyroids being removed during my thyroidectomy. I just looked up symptoms...muscle cramps, fatigue, headache...No wonder when I take my calcium and calcium +D I feel a thousand times better...:ohwell: Learn something new every day lol and I shall be remembering my 2x a day calcium for sure

Replies

• creay2012
    creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    HMM I wasn't dx with it but I also had 2 parathyroids removed. I started my multivitamin today so I will see if it helps with the muscle aches, etc. I just know over the past weekend my legs and one arm was throbbing. hoping the vitamin helps
  • WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For muscle aches have any of your doctors recommended taking a supplement of magnesium, zinc and calcium?
  • creay2012
    Options
    the short answer is no. I have had side back pain along with everything else for a few yrs now I have learned to live with it because no one knows what is the cause. I have had mri,ct,and u/s done to examine multiple causes but nothing is ever found. My husband belives it is due to the extra weight I am carrying around since all my weight is in my mid section which adds pressure to the joints in the knees etc....I am hoping with losing some weight it will help
  • WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering. I am still debating whether to add this supplement to my routine. :flowerforyou:
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    the short answer is no. I have had side back pain along with everything else for a few yrs now I have learned to live with it because no one knows what is the cause. I have had mri,ct,and u/s done to examine multiple causes but nothing is ever found. My husband belives it is due to the extra weight I am carrying around since all my weight is in my mid section which adds pressure to the joints in the knees etc....I am hoping with losing some weight it will help
    Have you ever looked into water aerobics since it's supposed to be easier on the knees? I've wanted to but never have time in my day :(
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    Thank you for answering. I am still debating whether to add this supplement to my routine. :flowerforyou:
    I forgot all about that combo of meds, thanks for mentioning it. I definitely need to remember it in my arsenal!
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    https://www.cncahealth.com/explore/learn/general-health/nutrition-for-thyroid-health-foods-that-help-and-harm#.UvDPhPldUV0. Hopefully this link will open. Anyway, I'm definitely looking at going gluten free this next pay check since groceries are already purchased for the next 2 weeks BUT in doing some research about the cal/zinc/mag, I would MOST DEFINITELY consult with an Endocrinologist first because this combination is to INCREASE TSH and we don't want that. The Synthroid DECREASES TSH in order to keep us from having a recurrence of the thyroid cancer, so definitely consult your physician on that one. Just my 2 cents :) I used to love taking thermogenics to help me lose weight and so far the only diet med I've been told that is safe for thyroid cancer patients is Alli, which is not a thermogenic. Anything that promotes or stimulates thyroid function we need to be wary of and always consult our doctors.
  • creay2012
    Options
    Hi I noticed you mentioned going gluten free. I would advise you to check with your dr. I went gluten free (felt great and started to lose weight immediately) however when I went to my endo the first thing he said was you shouldn't go gluten free unless it is required due to medical reasons. He stated you could do some more harm then good. I will be asking again at my next appt.

good luck
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    Thanks I will definitely ask. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between low-carb and gluten free, but I could be wrong. Finding what worked then and what works now is so different isn't it, ugh! My 3 treating physicians all told me to not even try to lose weight because of the thyroidectomy. I have the ability to go see another Endocrinologist at the University of North Carolina and I think I may do that, since quit trying or give in is not really an option for me.
  • creay2012
    Options
    That is exactly what my endo keeps telling me just accept the fact im just going to be heavy. Well I am not healthy and isn't that the main goal. You can be thin and not healthy would you tell a thin person to just accept it. I will say I have been taking my multi vitamin on a reg basis and it seems to be making a difference with aches. Hoping now I can get back on track and start working out. I have a huge party come may and really want to lose some weight before so we will see how that goes. But we are stuck in this bad weather pattern and it does make you not want to do much.

Good Luck at the endo