Post-surgery-Foods you can no longer eat.

Options
2»

Replies

• rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am 6 months out RNY and can do a few bites of pita, but not too much. Pita crackers go better for some reason. I really dont use the pita, tortilla, bread etc. as the "holder" of my food any more, but as a garnish. Mostly fajita filling and maybe a chip or two with it. Quite a change from "before."
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good things to know!!! I am pre-surgery so while I am not going to 'go crazy' and binge on sweets and pasta and rice, I will however enjoy it on occasion while I still can before surgery. I LOVE sushi so that is something I definitely will be eating but in moderation. I also love sweets but am finding already that I'm craving them a lot less and get sick if I eat even a normal amount of sweets. So its a good thing that I am getting used to the no-carb no-starch no-grain no-sugar diet now but I will thoroughly enjoy the couple of bites I do here and there before surgery :) Enjoy it while I can.

Thank you all for sharing!
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 months post RNY. I still can't eat pasta, rice, bread, ice cream and fried foods. I love Chinese food, but I can't eat it - at all!! Unfortunately, I can eat chocolate :noway: !
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Good things to know!!! I am pre-surgery so while I am not going to 'go crazy' and binge on sweets and pasta and rice, I will however enjoy it on occasion while I still can before surgery. I LOVE sushi so that is something I definitely will be eating but in moderation. I also love sweets but am finding already that I'm craving them a lot less and get sick if I eat even a normal amount of sweets. So its a good thing that I am getting used to the no-carb no-starch no-grain no-sugar diet now but I will thoroughly enjoy the couple of bites I do here and there before surgery :) Enjoy it while I can.

Thank you all for sharing!

Sushi (2-3) pieces is the quantity of rice I am able to eat. That and a couple of extra shrimp makes a meal
  • karin602
    karin602 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At six months since surgery r n y I have no problem with sliced lite whole wheat bread but can't do English muffins. Oranges are a huge no felt horrible for hours after two small bites. Haven't tried pork but it was never a favorite. Beef is still a couple of weeks away on my plan. Don't really miss it though. Warm or hot fluids a 're better than even room temp and cold is really bad. Yeah herbal tea and coffee!
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My husband had his sleeve done on January 7th, and he kind of skipped over the full liquid diet, and went right to the soft foods. I hope it will be alright, he's brought some things back up, but as long as he chews it good, he can eat most things. Eggs were not good, or cake.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My husband had his sleeve done on January 7th, and he kind of skipped over the full liquid diet, and went right to the soft foods. I hope it will be alright, he's brought some things back up, but as long as he chews it good, he can eat most things. Eggs were not good, or cake.

I'm sorry, but three weeks after surgery, why is he eating cake? And why is he not followingthe doctor's plan to the letter? Cake is not on anyone's plan.
  • izzane
    izzane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i cant vomit after the surgery i have tried after i ate to much and had the worst chest pain. i'M 5 years post RNY. And i must say i ate healty food but didnt crave it like i do now, when i want fast food i try the get the healthiest i can and only eat a small piece because i know i will have dumping just after or the next morning. I once had dumping so bad that im now careful of what i eat.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Holy cow! I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but your hubby needs to rethink that! The doctors put you on a liquid diet for a reason. There are long internal staple lines that food can get stuck in and open up! The sleeve has even longer ones than the RNY surgery! He's putting himself at serious risk of going right back in the hospital because he opened his stomach up to his chest cavity!

Plus, cake, after only three weeks! He seriously needs to question what he's eating. Trust me, I get it. Sugar tastes good, and is addictive. I've been there, done that. I still have problems with it triggering cravings. But he needs to really think about his choices. The surgery is a tool to help him change his lifestyle. If he goes back to eating the same foods he was pre-surgery then what does he really expect will happen. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, but 50% of weight loss surgery patients gain it all back within 5 years. The surgery will not keep it off permanently on its own. I know I sure didn't put in all the blood, sweat and tears to just go back to the way I was.

Two other notes. My kryptonite food is shrimp. My wife's is lactose. We were both fine with those before our respective surgeries.

And last note. If you encounter a food that you disagree with, if you eat to much, or don't chew properly and it gets stuck, check out papaya enzyme. It aids in digestion and helps break the stuff down. The few times I've gotten in trouble, I've chewed two tablets and it clears it up in about 10 or 15 minutes.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Holy cow! I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but your hubby needs to rethink that! The doctors put you on a liquid diet for a reason. There are long internal staple lines that food can get stuck in and open up! The sleeve has even longer ones than the RNY surgery! He's putting himself at serious risk of going right back in the hospital because he opened his stomach up to his chest cavity!

Plus, cake, after only three weeks! He seriously needs to question what he's eating. Trust me, I get it. Sugar tastes good, and is addictive. I've been there, done that. I still have problems with it triggering cravings. But he needs to really think about his choices. The surgery is a tool to help him change his lifestyle. If he goes back to eating the same foods he was pre-surgery then what does he really expect will happen. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, but 50% of weight loss surgery patients gain it all back within 5 years. The surgery will not keep it off permanently on its own. I know I sure didn't put in all the blood, sweat and tears to just go back to the way I was.

Two other notes. My kryptonite food is shrimp. My wife's is lactose. We were both fine with those before our respective surgeries.

And last note. If you encounter a food that you disagree with, if you eat to much, or don't chew properly and it gets stuck, check out papaya enzyme. It aids in digestion and helps break the stuff down. The few times I've gotten in trouble, I've chewed two tablets and it clears it up in about 10 or 15 minutes.
    Thank you so much for the tips and insight. Being Pre-Op myself I AM listening so thank you!
  • sarahscoles1
    sarahscoles1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 months out from Lap Band surgery, and I can't do most carbs. At all. So no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. I've really just been sticking to high protein, low carb stuff and doing pretty well with that. I've found that I don't really miss most sweets, which is big because I always had a huge sweet tooth. I also can not vomit since having the surgery, so if I do try to eat those things (specifically anything made from wheat/flour) I have the most horrible chest/back pain. It feels like the monster from Alien is trying to explode from my body! Obviously I avoid that at all costs!
  • Jenn87m
    Jenn87m Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am two months out from the Bypass and i can not touch eggs, I tried them boiled, scrambled, whites but they just don't agree with me.