Setting Realistic Expectations on Keto

Options
2»

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yes, thanks for bumping so I could find it!
  • arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write this, it was both inspirational and consolatory :)
  • djgreen1968
    djgreen1968 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Had my expectations to high in the beginning, but I am happy I figured out losing weight a little bit at a time is still losing weight! Just lost another pound today!!! 27 days and 7 pounds lost is a good start. :happy:
  • TeamPurple
    TeamPurple Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've started keto 3 weeks ago. At first there was a bit of guess work and then i started cal counting but the amazing fat lost everyone is boasting is still a no show. I'm only expecting to lose about 2 kg /4.4 pounds a month but I am still somewhat worried as to if I am doing this right or not.
    I'm glad I found this post right when I joined as I am starting to have doubts :/
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I've started keto 3 weeks ago. At first there was a bit of guess work and then i started cal counting but the amazing fat lost everyone is boasting is still a no show. I'm only expecting to lose about 2 kg /4.4 pounds a month but I am still somewhat worried as to if I am doing this right or not.
    I'm glad I found this post right when I joined as I am starting to have doubts :/

If you open your diary, we can give you feedback about your intake and point out where you may be making mistakes. If you aren't sure you've set your macros correctly, I suggest the following website: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • TeamPurple
    Options
    I have it open to friends but I will change the privacy. I read the r/keto guide before starting and regularly turn to the calculator since then to check the progress prediction. According to it I should be on track but it's just discouraging that one of my housemates has already dropped 7 kg so far. We had the same starting weight and pretty much the same routine.

Either way, this is what I get from the calculator.
    1300 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (6%, 80 kcal)
    80 g Protein (25%, 320 kcal)
    100 g Fat (69%, 900 kcal)
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I have it open to friends but I will change the privacy. I read the r/keto guide before starting and regularly turn to the calculator since then to check the progress prediction. According to it I should be on track but it's just discouraging that one of my housemates has already dropped 7 kg so far. We had the same starting weight and pretty much the same routine.

Either way, this is what I get from the calculator.
    1300 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (6%, 80 kcal)
    80 g Protein (25%, 320 kcal)
    100 g Fat (69%, 900 kcal)

Ok a few thoughts I have looking at the last week of your diary...

First, your diary doesn't seem very complete. (If it is, then you need to work on getting all of your 1300 calories on a more regular basis.) If you are only using MFP to track (I say that because I use a spreadsheet to track and MFP for the groups), you need to be more consistent with your tracking. Every single thing that crosses your lips needs to be logged. It will hold you accountable to your macros and if in a few weeks you still aren't losing, we may be able to point out more specific foods you can swap/eliminate. I have to admit that I'm not totally familiar with a lot of the foods you are logging so its difficult for me to advise without looking them up.

Second, (again, I'm not sure if your diary truly reflects what you've been up to) you need to increase your water intake. Bare minimum should be about 2L each day, but you should aim for closer to 3L. This keeps you fully hydrated, helps drop weight, and keeps your kidneys healthy; low-carb diets can lead to a greater risk of kidney stones. Your body could be retaining water; the 7kg your housemates have lost are very likely water weight (not fat). If they are better at hydrating than you are, this could explain the discrepancy. You need to be sure you get plenty of salt, magnesium, potassium, and water.

I suggest you try planning your meals ahead of time, if you aren't already. I try to plan 1-3 days in advance. Then I know exactly what I'm allowed to eat so there are no surprises or excuses. I also know if I need to get something from the store to ensure well-balanced meals every day. It looks like there are some days where you are going over your budget in some places. It can add up fast, especially since you've only been doing this for a short time. You need to be sure you are accurately measuring your foods as well. Don't just rely on estimates.

Also, just keep in mind that bodies are different. You may have the same amount of weight to lose as your friends, but that doesn't mean you all have the same metabolism. People lose at different rates, stall at different points and for different amounts of time. Your hormones and menstrual cycle can impact progress as well. Just get more consistent with tracking, measuring, and hydrating and hopefully you'll get that big initial water-drop soon!
  • TeamPurple
    Options
    I missed last weekend since I was sick for a day an crazy busy for the other however I didn't cheat and was well under my calorie/carb allowance.
    When I track, I track everything. I'm the crazy one in the house that insists on weighing everything that goes into a recipe; When we make adjustments to recipes, i'll record it as a new recipe on mfp.
    On that note it's hard to eat 1300 calories on the dot.
    Planning meas ahead is an issue since i don't live alone; all three of us are on doing keto but on different macros and yeah, people feel like eating different things but our cooked meals keto-cuisine, so to speak. If what's on my plate is a bit too carb rich for me, i'll just have a smaller serving. If left to fend for myself, I eat too little and and would probably live on cheese alone.

As for the water consumption, I am working on it. But boy, this is hard. These days I have a 1l pitcher of water on my desk at all times. I get jokes on the amounts of tea i've been drinking lately :/ Now I realize how little water I had before. But with this I also get additional exercise since the kitchen is one floor down and the restrooms two floors down :)

I didn't expect any huge initial drop but I would like to see some :/ I'm trying to add bits of exercise and walk as much as possible but weighing in every morning is starting to get me down :) I took my measurements so hopefully that will work as an indicator as well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me feedback!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    just some perspective:

ketosis is nothing more than "fat burning", something that ANYONE who is in a calorie deficit is really doing (unless you are starving yourself and go into ketogenesis, or muscle burning mode).

A ketosis diet Should be a calorie deficient meal plan that focuses on low carb, healthy fats and proteins.

A low carb diet naturally sheds water weight, hence the drastic initial weight loss

A low carb diet helps people of a healthy metabolism burn body fat more efficiently when in a calorie deficit.

A low carb diet is detrimental to mental and neurological health when too low, and for too long a period of time, and/or depletes the body of essential fuels necessary to produce specific hormones that can be created only by eating carbohydrates. It requires medical supervision.

Losing 1.5 lbs of body fat a week is great progress! Anything more than that is muscle/water weight/bogus/dangerous.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I missed last weekend since I was sick for a day an crazy busy for the other however I didn't cheat and was well under my calorie/carb allowance.
    When I track, I track everything. I'm the crazy one in the house that insists on weighing everything that goes into a recipe; When we make adjustments to recipes, i'll record it as a new recipe on mfp.
    On that note it's hard to eat 1300 calories on the dot.
    Planning meas ahead is an issue since i don't live alone; all three of us are on doing keto but on different macros and yeah, people feel like eating different things but our cooked meals keto-cuisine, so to speak. If what's on my plate is a bit too carb rich for me, i'll just have a smaller serving. If left to fend for myself, I eat too little and and would probably live on cheese alone.

As for the water consumption, I am working on it. But boy, this is hard. These days I have a 1l pitcher of water on my desk at all times. I get jokes on the amounts of tea i've been drinking lately :/ Now I realize how little water I had before. But with this I also get additional exercise since the kitchen is one floor down and the restrooms two floors down :)

I didn't expect any huge initial drop but I would like to see some :/ I'm trying to add bits of exercise and walk as much as possible but weighing in every morning is starting to get me down :) I took my measurements so hopefully that will work as an indicator as well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me feedback!

If weighing yourself every day is discouraging, don't do it every day! :) your weight can fluctuate several pounds a day based on things like how hydrated you are, where you are in your menstrual cycle, etc. Maybe you should weigh yourself once a week so you can see progress over time.

One other thought... since I'm from the south, we like our tea sweet, which made me think about artificial sweeteners. If you are using them, research their possible impact on keto. Some are better than others, and some people are sensitive to them while others aren't.
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    Kira, I feel like that was exactly what I needed right now. I've definitely been feeling those frustrations lately (not in comparison to anyone else, just in comparison to my prior results) and you're right, any progress is good progress, and patience is definitely a must when doing this or any other lifestyle change. Thanks for sharing!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    As always Kira, thank you so much for this! You are the authority on this system for Atkins, and it is a privilege to have you on my friends list. Keep on writing, I'll always be eager to read what's on your mind! Thanks again!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Aw shucks.... :blushing:

I feel good, I eat awesome food, I don't get tired in the afternoons, I don't get these horrible cravings and feel the need to snack all the time. Honestly, I've been in a stall for the longest time. But I'm at the point that the weight loss is a secondary thing. This lifestyle is it for me. I believe in it, and that this is the healthy way for me to eat on a permanent basis. When I drop a few pounds, that's just a bonus.
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    So true!
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    I feel good, I eat awesome food, I don't get tired in the afternoons, I don't get these horrible cravings and feel the need to snack all the time. Honestly, I've been in a stall for the longest time. But I'm at the point that the weight loss is a secondary thing. This lifestyle is it for me. I believe in it, and that this is the healthy way for me to eat on a permanent basis. When I drop a few pounds, that's just a bonus.

I feel exactly the same! Even during the times that I haven't lost as much, I still would never go back to how I used to eat, because I just don't want to put that crap into my body. I'm in it for the long haul, baby!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

Losing 1.5 lbs of body fat a week is great progress! Anything more than that is muscle/water weight/bogus/dangerous.

Not necessarily true depends on the individual.