5 Day Fat Fast - Who's in?

Options
82jeh
82jeh Posts: 53 Member
Decided to do a fat fast starting tomorrow.
Basically it's :
1000 calories per day
90% of calories from fat
5 Days

I'm planning on eating 10 oz cream cheese a day OR 5 oz macadamia nuts a day. For 5 days. I'm also going to make a bulletproof chai tea that i can sip all day, with heavy whipping cream and butter if i get too tired of cream cheese and macadamias.

Starting weight : 137.5 pounds
Starting bf% : 28%
5'3"

Who's in?
:)

edit : i haven't started yet, so i'll post my weight tomorrow when i start too.

Replies

• msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm interested :)

What's your recipe for bullet-proof chai tea?

What else are you having? I've never done a fat fast so I'm tres intrigued!
  • 82jeh
    Options
    I bought a sugar free chai tea latte concentrate from Target, it makes 1/2 gallon. You're supposed to use 1/2 concentrate and 1/2 milk, but I'm going to substitute heavy cream + lots of water and butter.

The brand name is "Oregon Chai", 1/2 cup concentrate = 1gram carb (x8 servings = 8 grams carbs total), 0 gram fat, 0 gram protein. Then i'm going to add 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and 8 tablespoons of butter = about 1032 calories . We went to a Tibetan restaurant and had butter tea, I'm hoping this will taste something like that, but better! :)
  • 82jeh
    Options
    I've never done a fat fast before either, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! :)
  • baconstripsjms
    Options
    Ummm...good luck with that...
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Why 5 days? If I'm not mistaken 5 days is on the longer end of the spectrum. Since you haven't done it before I would think choosing a shorter time would be wise.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good luck! If I could, I'd recommending Dana Carpender's Fat Fast Cookbook. It is filled with amazing tasty recipes geared for Fat Fasts. I've only done one 5 day, and a few 2 or 3 day ones. My results:

Read about my first FAT FAST experience (Lost 5.4 pounds, 2.75", and 0.6 BMI points in 5 days):
    Overview: http://alturl.com/9hm8d
    Day #1: http://alturl.com/ho8tr
    Day #2: http://alturl.com/6ug5s
    Day #3: http://alturl.com/5nf93
    Day #4: http://alturl.com/dvn4k

8/28/13: 4 day Fat Fast completed, loss = 8.2#
    1/15/14: 2 day Fat Fast completed, loss = 3.2#
    2/22/14: 2 day Fat Fast completed, loss = 7.2#
  • delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Basically it's :
    1000 calories per day
    90% of calories from fat
    5 Days

I'm planning on eating 10 oz cream cheese a day OR 5 oz macadamia nuts a day. For 5 days. I'm also going to make a bulletproof chai tea that i can sip all day, with heavy whipping cream and butter if i get too tired of cream cheese and macadamias.

5'3"

Who's in?

• delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Basically it's :
    1000 calories per day
    90% of calories from fat
    5 Days

5'3"

Who's in?

I'm into my second fat fast now. I did several in my past Keto life. I keep very accurate records of my Ketone (BHB and AcAC) levels and Blood Glucose. I also have the advantage of doing some of my own blood testing. I have learned a lot about extreme macros and fat fasting. I post a lot of science and testing results on my on profile if you would like to stop by. I posted this morning about using high fat macros.
  • 82jeh
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful info you guys!

Day 1:

Weight : 138.5
    BF% : 29%

On Today's Menu : 10 oz Cream Cheese and coffee.

Exercise : 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats

will check back in tomorrow!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Why? That's essentially just neglecting your protein macro for an extended period of time... the macro that matters most on a LC diet, as it's the only macro directly relevant to preserving your lean body mass. Fat fasts are not just tools to speed up weight loss. They are merely a tool that can be used if you're having trouble entering ketosis and then only during the introductory period. Doing a "fat fast" well into your low carb diet is just asking to have weight loss that includes a higher percentage of lean body mass, when the goal should be to lose fat.
  • 82jeh
    Options
    Why? That's essentially just neglecting your protein macro for an extended period of time... the macro that matters most on a LC diet, as it's the only macro directly relevant to preserving your lean body mass. Fat fasts are not just tools to speed up weight loss. They are merely a tool that can be used if you're having trouble entering ketosis and then only during the introductory period. Doing a "fat fast" well into your low carb diet is just asking to have weight loss that includes a higher percentage of lean body mass, when the goal should be to lose fat.

i made the mistake of doing keto for 1 week and then carbing up last weekend! that totally threw me out of keto :( and then i *think* i've been eating back too m any of my protein exercise calories. i think both carbs and protein has to stay the same when you exercise, the only thing you can eat more of is fat.

Day 2 :
    weight : 137
    BF% 28%

On Today's Menu : 5 oz macadamia nuts and coffee

Exercise : 6 mile run, P90X Ab Ripper X

thoughts about yesterday : yes, i was hungry, but not starving. also drank 5-6 liters of water. woke up this morning not hungry at all. felt a little light headed and dizzy, but after eating another 2oz of cream cheese i felt better and the lightheadedness feeling didn't come back. did not feel super tired but didn't feel like a had a whole bunch of extra energy either.

Will check back in tomorrow! :)
  • arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I did one for 4 days at the beginning of the month and kicked me right back into ketosis after the holidays. I think it really depends on where you are psychologically, cause back then I was still on holiday and basically was thinking about food all day long, so to wait the 4 hours between meals and to keep them all within 200cals was quite literally painful, while nowadays because I am just busier I might end up eating 1000/1200 calories a day anyway, though mostly from a couple of meals tops during the day.

I generally try to keep my fat macros as high as possible compared to proteins and carbs and I see it works the best for me this way.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on menus and loss :)
  • 82jeh
    Options
    I did one for 4 days at the beginning of the month and kicked me right back into ketosis after the holidays. I think it really depends on where you are psychologically, cause back then I was still on holiday and basically was thinking about food all day long, so to wait the 4 hours between meals and to keep them all within 200cals was quite literally painful, while nowadays because I am just busier I might end up eating 1000/1200 calories a day anyway, though mostly from a couple of meals tops during the day.

I generally try to keep my fat macros as high as possible compared to proteins and carbs and I see it works the best for me this way.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on menus and loss :)

Thank you! :)

I agree, waiting for your next meal is torture! It helped that I was at work and that kind of kept my mind off of food....
    I decided to break up my macadamia nut feast (haha) into 10 1/2oz servings and eat every hour or so for 10 hours just so that i don't have to wait too long between meals. :)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Buy "The Fat Fast Cookbook" by Dana Carpender. There's no need to restrict yourself to cream cheese and Mac nuts.
  • 82jeh
    Options
    Buy "The Fat Fast Cookbook" by Dana Carpender. There's no need to restrict yourself to cream cheese and Mac nuts.

Thanks Kiramaniac, but i actually really like cream cheese and macadamia nuts. a lot! :)

i think tomorrow it'll be 1000 calories of coconut milk for the MCTs (i love coconut milk too)
    Thanks for reading.... :)
  • 82jeh
    Options
    Day 3 :

Weight : 135.5
    BF% : 29%

On Today's Menu : Coconut milk and coffee

Exercise : 3 mile run + Training (Conditioning, usually 350-500 calories/hour, I wear a Garmin heart rate monitor)

thoughts about yesterday : went on a 6 mile run and bonked! hard! last sunday I carb loaded on yummy stuff: besides eggs, bacon, sausage, cream cheese and lox, I also had fresh pineapple, orange juice, and a Belgian waffle with lots of butter and soaked in syrup. went on a 10 mile run and averaged an 11min/mile for the first 6 miles, then tweaked a weird muscle in my leg but still averaged a 13 min/mile for the last 4 miles.

yesterday, on 1/2 oz of macadamias, I struggled from mile one, had to jog/walk/jog for the 1st 3 miles, averaging 15 min/mile, then had to walk the last 3.5 miles. I was so tired! Where's the promised land of milk and honey? errr....I mean endless keto energy?? yes, I know, keep calm and keto on....

also, i was mildly hungry all day, and then out of nowhere i started craving donuts! chocolate covered old fashioned, chocolate covered with custard in the middle, apple fritters, cinnamon rolls, warm brownie fudge sundae with whipped cream, frosted flakes cereal with chocolate milk..... so i drank more fizzy water and the cravings went away. that was rough!

anytime i got hungry i grabbed a bottle of sparkling mineral water, so ended up drinking around 6 liters of water total for the day. maybe 7.

Thanks for reading. Will check back in tomorrow :)
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It is not magic. You are only consuming 1000 cals a day. You may want to dial back the workouts a bit. Your body is in a massive deficit just sustaining life and daily activities.

Just my.02
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It is not magic. You are only consuming 1000 cals a day. You may want to dial back the workouts a bit. Your body is in a massive deficit just sustaining life and daily activities.

Just my.02

Agreed. It sounds like you're alternating between binging on massive amounts of calories/carbs one week to doing an unnecessary "fat fast" and still trying to workout while consuming too few calories... not to mention, doing catabolic exercises on a week you're "fat fasting" and not hitting your protein macro, thus depriving your body of the amino acids it needs to repair your muscles after you workout.

Dare I ask - why not simply try a standard ketogenic diet (if that's your preferred choice of diet) with a reasonable caloric deficit, eating back at least some of your exercise calories, and a reasonable protein intake? I feel like you're swinging from one extreme to the other, where the goal should be consistency.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    This just doesn't seem like a healthy approach to Keto or to life. This plan and these behaviors smack of anorexia athletica/exercise bulimia.

As a person who is 8 years into eating disorder recovery, I appreciate that this group is about being healthy and fueling our bodies sufficiently. Posts like this topic make me really uncomfortable.
  • 82jeh
    Options
    yeah, you guys are right. I was thinking I could eat 1000 calories a day of anything - whether it's carbs, protein or fat, and have the exact same results. last week before the fat fast I was eating around 1800-2000 calories a day but not losing, which was frustrating. But I felt good. now I just feel like crap! I'm just going to finish up today with this fat fast just to see where it goes and then go back to regular keto tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!! :)