Do you believe that we are being killed by one another?

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    People die in car accidents everyday. People who eat unhealthily die from health related issues too. So, if we are to hold McDonald's or Monsanto responsible for the offering bad products, maybe Honda and Ford should be held accountable too, right?

See? It's ridiculous to try and hold others responsible for other people making decisions. If you buy a product simply because an advertisement tells you yo, then that is your choice. The person who made the ad is not responsible for the harm done by you using the product. You are responsible for your own actions.

The biggest difference there is that cars, as a technology, are inherently dangerous, and the car manufacturers have spent millions, if not billions, of dollars on research and development to make it safer (seat belts, air bags, backup cameras, and so on and so forth). Now, is that necessarily based out of altruism? No, not really. It's kind of bad for the business of high-dollar products to sell one that's unnecessarily dangerous.

The difference lies in the fact that food should be inherently safe. The problem with the food companies is that they lose sight of this in their effort to make more money, to the point that they introduce questionable ingredients and implement questionable practices in an effort to get people to buy more and/or cut costs, in order to make more money. While it's fine to find ways to make the food cost less or implement more efficient ways to produce it, the food ingredients should be more thoroughly tested to ensure their safety, and the farming methods should prove to be sustainable.
    Also, manufacturers of products (should, in an actually free world) have no obligation to make things "safe". People who use things have an obligation to not hurt other people with those things, or just in general for that matter. And that's it. To demand that people do things they don't want to - or not do things they do want to - when those things do not harm others, boils down to shoving a gun in their face and threatening to pull the trigger if they don't comply. This is a nakedly immoral way to behave.

In a true free market, consumers would also have the correct information to be able to make an informed decisions, and there would be enough competition for people to actually vote with their wallets and it impact the company in question.

While I don't think the people coming up with the chemicals and combinations and whatnot for the processed foods are thinking "hey, what can we do to cause health problems in people?" Rather, I think they think more about whether it achieves the desired flavor, the addiction effect that drives a person to crave more, and the "disappearing calories" texture that also drives people to eat more (think cheese puffs - start out big and fluffy, dissolve away into nothingness, and leave you without feeling full and satisfied, despite eating a ton of calories).

Combine that, though, with the typical pressures from marketing, accounting, and the other powers-that-be to make more money, sell more, cut more costs, etc., though, and you end up with a bunch of "good enough" data from studies that are too narrowly-focused to really provide the answer to "Is it safe?" (see also: trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils)

Are the food companies in bed with pharmaceutical companies? I'm not sure, though I know there's a large number of executives in various food industry companies who are also key players in the government groups that make the rules for said safety standards, which handles both food and pharmaceuticals. It wouldn't surprise me if there's some crossover. That's not to say that "everyone in the food industry is evil," but that executive and political roles do attract a certain type of person (at least in the US) that is known to not really care about the well-being of others (see also: the Dark Triad). In such authoritative positions, it only takes a couple of people who lack scruples to cause harm in the entire chain.

And it's not like there's not precedent. The tobacco industry actively hid the fact that they knew their product caused cancer and a whole host of other issues, even though they publicly denied it for years until they were finally sued into telling the truth. All the while, they were advertising their product as "the cool thing." So, while I agree that a company can't be wholly responsible for something detrimental happening, I don't think they're wholly blameless, either, particularly when they know that what they're doing will harm their consumers.

tl:dr version - While I don't agree with the "everyone is evil and out to get the poor consumer," neither do I think it's tin foil hattish to think that food companies are that naive to not think that the products they sell are in some way detrimental to the consumers.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just to be a touch pedantic.....
    Money is not the root of all evil...We know this because money DIDN'T, in fact, exist for most of human history. Are we seriously supposed to believe that people didn't do evil things before money came around?
    Wrong. The actual quote (which is from the Bible) is "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil". Money itself is just a medium of exchange - and THAT has been around for as long as one human had something that another human wanted. Which is forever.
    People are the root of all evil. If money didn't exist, evil still would.
    Also wrong. The concept of evil depends on an ethical or moral code; without such a code, one can neither define 'good' nor 'evil'. One can easily postulate primitives who had no mores - in such a society, evil would not exist.
    Also, manufacturers of products (should, in an actually free world) have no obligation to make things "safe". People who use things have an obligation to not hurt other people with those things, or just in general for that matter.
    I detect some hypocrisy here.

- If I have an obligation to not hurt others with an item - shouldn't the person who sold me that item also have an obligation to not hurt ME with it?

- If that is the case, then shouldn't the person/company who MADE the item also have the same obligation to not harm the person they sold it to?
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The last two posts from Dragonwolf and monkeydharma outline everything very well. Thank you both for putting forward these points as I was unable to. Being at work while I am checking in from time to time does not allow me the luxury of thinking out my answers as eloquently as I would like sometimes.

And I do not believe that ALL mankind is evil, just like Dragonwolf mentioned, but some people in this industry really and in truly do not care about the well being of others far less themselves. It's all about making a buck and keeping their world turning.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference there is that cars, as a technology, are inherently dangerous, and the car manufacturers have spent millions, if not billions, of dollars on research and development to make it safer (seat belts, air bags, backup cameras, and so on and so forth). Now, is that necessarily based out of altruism? No, not really. It's kind of bad for the business of high-dollar products to sell one that's unnecessarily dangerous.

The difference lies in the fact that food should be inherently safe. The problem with the food companies is that they lose sight of this in their effort to make more money, to the point that they introduce questionable ingredients and implement questionable practices in an effort to get people to buy more and/or cut costs, in order to make more money. While it's fine to find ways to make the food cost less or implement more efficient ways to produce it, the food ingredients should be more thoroughly tested to ensure their safety, and the farming methods should prove to be sustainable.

"Should be inherently safe"? Who are you to decide that for me? What if a food is insanely delicious, but also insanely bad for a persons health to eat? Maybe they value the flavor over their health. That is their business to decide.

Further, what if I don't give a damn how thoroughly, or not, a food ingredient is tested? Again, you making all these decisions for others (that is, implying someone - most likely a government - should allow or disallow the products availability) is tantamount to shoving a gun in someones face and threatening to the pull the trigger if they don't comply. If they don't want to buy the product because they don't know what's in it, then they won't. If they don't give a damn, then it's not within your rights to force them not to. End of story.

In a true free market, consumers would also have the correct information to be able to make an informed decisions, and there would be enough competition for people to actually vote with their wallets and it impact the company in question.

While I don't think the people coming up with the chemicals and combinations and whatnot for the processed foods are thinking "hey, what can we do to cause health problems in people?" Rather, I think they think more about whether it achieves the desired flavor, the addiction effect that drives a person to crave more, and the "disappearing calories" texture that also drives people to eat more (think cheese puffs - start out big and fluffy, dissolve away into nothingness, and leave you without feeling full and satisfied, despite eating a ton of calories).

Combine that, though, with the typical pressures from marketing, accounting, and the other powers-that-be to make more money, sell more, cut more costs, etc., though, and you end up with a bunch of "good enough" data from studies that are too narrowly-focused to really provide the answer to "Is it safe?" (see also: trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils)

Are the food companies in bed with pharmaceutical companies? I'm not sure, though I know there's a large number of executives in various food industry companies who are also key players in the government groups that make the rules for said safety standards, which handles both food and pharmaceuticals. It wouldn't surprise me if there's some crossover. That's not to say that "everyone in the food industry is evil," but that executive and political roles do attract a certain type of person (at least in the US) that is known to not really care about the well-being of others (see also: the Dark Triad). In such authoritative positions, it only takes a couple of people who lack scruples to cause harm in the entire chain.

And it's not like there's not precedent. The tobacco industry actively hid the fact that they knew their product caused cancer and a whole host of other issues, even though they publicly denied it for years until they were finally sued into telling the truth. All the while, they were advertising their product as "the cool thing." So, while I agree that a company can't be wholly responsible for something detrimental happening, I don't think they're wholly blameless, either, particularly when they know that what they're doing will harm their consumers.

tl:dr version - While I don't agree with the "everyone is evil and out to get the poor consumer," neither do I think it's tin foil hattish to think that food companies are that naive to not think that the products they sell are in some way detrimental to the consumers.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter which companies are "in bed" with each other. People are (or should be, absent a government preventing them) allowed to transact on a voluntary basis. If you question the motives and values of a person, group, or business, then you can choose not to associate with them. They have not (in a free society) put a gun to your head and made you buy anything. It is government and government alone (which may indeed be bought by any given organization at any given time), that uses force or the threat of force to get what it wants. It is different only in scale from the organized gangs and mafias of the world.
  • strychnine7
    Options
    Wrong. The actual quote (which is from the Bible) is "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil". Money itself is just a medium of exchange - and THAT has been around for as long as one human had something that another human wanted. Which is forever.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, except that you're agreeing with me. Also, no, money did not exist for most of human history. Humans worked on barter until only several thousand years ago. Sure, probably isolated incidence of certain tribes and such had mediums of exchange but barter is how it was done until civilization really dawned. Actually, Austrian economists theorize that it is almost certainly money that allowed for the dawn of civilization. I, of course agree, with that entirely. And for the record, I wasn't misquoting a Bible entry. I was accurately quoting another poster on the board. As is evidenced by the quote of her post in my reply that you in turn quoted.
    Also wrong. The concept of evil depends on an ethical or moral code; without such a code, one can neither define 'good' nor 'evil'. One can easily postulate primitives who had no mores - in such a society, evil would not exist.

That is ridiculous. Good and evil exist regardless of the values, or lack thereof, of those within a society. Even if every single Cambodian under Pol Pots regime, for instance, agreed that the genocide he committed was ok, it would not change the fact that it was pure evil. That perhaps no one would be around to say it was evil or think it was evil, is irrelevant to that fact. Morality is universal. Only psychopaths and the insane disregard such ideas that it's ok to initiate force against others.
    I detect some hypocrisy here.

- If I have an obligation to not hurt others with an item - shouldn't the person who sold me that item also have an obligation to not hurt ME with it?

- If that is the case, then shouldn't the person/company who MADE the item also have the same obligation to not harm the person they sold it to?

Then your hypocrisy detector needs repair. The person who sold you the item, presumably, gave it to you under voluntary exchange. He never forced you to use it in any given way. Obviously, if he sells you a vitamin supplement, you take it and it turns out to be cyanide, then he defrauded you, which is just another form of force. But if he sells you a gun, and you shoot a paper target, he is not responsible for the damage you caused to the paper. Nor is he responsible if you blow your own head off - or someone else's - with it, instead. You bought a product, and you chose to use it, one way or the other. The fact that someone else owned that product prior to you, is irrelevant.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Then your hypocrisy detector needs repair. The person who sold you the item, presumably, gave it to you under voluntary exchange. He never forced you to use it in any given way. Obviously, if he sells you a vitamin supplement, you take it and it turns out to be cyanide, then he defrauded you, which is just another form of force. But if he sells you a gun, and you shoot a paper target, he is not responsible for the damage you caused to the paper. Nor is he responsible if you blow your own head off - or someone else's - with it, instead. You bought a product, and you chose to use it, one way or the other. The fact that someone else owned that product prior to you, is irrelevant.

No, but generally, the manufacturer is responsible if the firearm itself blows up in your hand when otherwise handled and cared for properly.
    "Should be inherently safe"? Who are you to decide that for me? What if a food is insanely delicious, but also insanely bad for a persons health to eat? Maybe they value the flavor over their health. That is their business to decide.

Further, what if I don't give a damn how thoroughly, or not, a food ingredient is tested? Again, you making all these decisions for others (that is, implying someone - most likely a government - should allow or disallow the products availability) is tantamount to shoving a gun in someones face and threatening to the pull the trigger if they don't comply. If they don't want to buy the product because they don't know what's in it, then they won't. If they don't give a damn, then it's not within your rights to force them not to. End of story.

They should be inherently safe in that they shouldn't include ingredients that are known to cause massive health issues. For the more obvious example, you should be able to trust that your butcher isn't selling you meat made from cows that where known to have Mad Cow Disease. Likewise, food companies should, at the very least, hold themselves to high enough ethical standards that they properly test the ingredients that go into their foods for both short and long term ramifications. Law doesn't have to factor into the equation, here (though if the society in which the company is selling their product feels it necessary, then that's within their rights, as well).

Likewise, food companies should be morally, even if they aren't legally, compelled to list their ingredients in a more recognizable manner, and not partake in shady labeling practices (both listing out the individual spices instead of just listing "spices," but also not doing things like splitting their ingredient list in such a way that consumers miss the additives, such as what one Almond Milk company does).

Again, I'm not saying they should be forced to do it, per se, but rather that they should be holding themselves to those higher standards, so that government doesn't have to step in and force the matter. If they've at least listed their ingredients honestly, then if you choose to ignore the more questionable ingredients (or the list altogether), then that is your choice. However, the consumer should have the means to make informed choices, and in my opinion, that means shouldn't require spending all day on the internet to dig up the necessary information on every single item.

The problem, of course, is that companies aren't compelled to hold that higher standard, because they're compelled to make as much money as they can, and often, the standards get eroded away. Honest labeling would mean decreased sales if the ingredient list includes something that is considered by the public to be unsafe and is recognizable by the consumers.
    You're missing the point. It doesn't matter which companies are "in bed" with each other. People are (or should be, absent a government preventing them) allowed to transact on a voluntary basis. If you question the motives and values of a person, group, or business, then you can choose not to associate with them. They have not (in a free society) put a gun to your head and made you buy anything. It is government and government alone (which may indeed be bought by any given organization at any given time), that uses force or the threat of force to get what it wants. It is different only in scale from the organized gangs and mafias of the world.

You said yourself that defrauding the consumer is the same as forcing them. General Mills owns Lara Bar, Kraft owns Green & Black's, Dean Foods owns Horizon Organic, Cogate owns both Tom's of Maine and Burt's Bees. Yet, you wouldn't know it just from looking at the packaging of these organic products, and in some cases, that information isn't even listed on the brand's website. That, in my opinion, is equivalent to defrauding on a moral/ethical level (and yes, I understand how branding works, I'm not saying that when Colgate bought Burt's Bees, they should have changed the branding to Colgate, I'm saying that they should have something like "a product of Colgate" or some other indication of the parent company on the label, somewhere).

Additionally, when every single brand that isn't a local mom and pop (and hell, even some that are) is owned by one of four or five larger companies, and when those companies operate in pretty much, if not exactly, the same way, you are being forced to buy their products if you aren't lucky enough to have access to a local, non-affiliated supplier of a given item, and when they own everything down to the apple cider vinegar, it's pretty much results in you either buying it from them or you starve (yes, it's possible to "simply go without" a given food product, but that becomes less and less feasible as that list gets longer), and the ability to voluntarily choose whether or not to enter a transaction with a given company also goes out the window.

As Uncle Ben said, in what is probably the most cliched quote of all time, "with great power comes great responsibility." Regardless of legal forces, when you're one of less than half a dozen companies that controls pretty much the entire food supply, you should hold yourself to higher moral/ethical/quality standards.
  • strychnine7
    Options
    No, but generally, the manufacturer is responsible if the firearm itself blows up in your hand when otherwise handled and cared for properly.

They didn't sell you a firearm, then. They sold you an exploding item that looked like a firearm. This is the same principle as the supplement/cyanide analogy. Perhaps they did it on accident, but that doesn't change the fact that they are responsible for damages.
    They should be inherently safe in that they shouldn't include ingredients that are known to cause massive health issues. For the more obvious example, you should be able to trust that your butcher isn't selling you meat made from cows that where known to have Mad Cow Disease. Likewise, food companies should, at the very least, hold themselves to high enough ethical standards that they properly test the ingredients that go into their foods for both short and long term ramifications. Law doesn't have to factor into the equation, here (though if the society in which the company is selling their product feels it necessary, then that's within their rights, as well).

Likewise, food companies should be morally, even if they aren't legally, compelled to list their ingredients in a more recognizable manner, and not partake in shady labeling practices (both listing out the individual spices instead of just listing "spices," but also not doing things like splitting their ingredient list in such a way that consumers miss the additives, such as what one Almond Milk company does).

Again, I'm not saying they should be forced to do it, per se, but rather that they should be holding themselves to those higher standards, so that government doesn't have to step in and force the matter. If they've at least listed their ingredients honestly, then if you choose to ignore the more questionable ingredients (or the list altogether), then that is your choice. However, the consumer should have the means to make informed choices, and in my opinion, that means shouldn't require spending all day on the internet to dig up the necessary information on every single item.

The problem, of course, is that companies aren't compelled to hold that higher standard, because they're compelled to make as much money as they can, and often, the standards get eroded away. Honest labeling would mean decreased sales if the ingredient list includes something that is considered by the public to be unsafe and is recognizable by the consumers.

They are too compelled to hold to a higher standard. For the very same reason you say they don't - profit. I mean seriously, do you think that Boeing's would be falling out the sky if the government didn't exist to force them to adhere to certain safety protocols? Who would fly on a Boeing aircraft if they were known to kill everyone who does? Friggin' nobody would. In fact, it's the public-private partnership (i.e. fascism) that the US government and major corporations engage in that makes people NOT give a damn what they put in their faces. After all, if Uncle Same didn't bar the item from sale, then it MUST be ok to eat, right? Nevermind that, as established before, these conglomerates, like Monsanto, own the government. There 12,000 lobbyists in Washington, better than 22 for every senator and congressman.

You said yourself that defrauding the consumer is the same as forcing them. General Mills owns Lara Bar, Kraft owns Green & Black's, Dean Foods owns Horizon Organic, Cogate owns both Tom's of Maine and Burt's Bees. Yet, you wouldn't know it just from looking at the packaging of these organic products, and in some cases, that information isn't even listed on the brand's website. That, in my opinion, is equivalent to defrauding on a moral/ethical level (and yes, I understand how branding works, I'm not saying that when Colgate bought Burt's Bees, they should have changed the branding to Colgate, I'm saying that they should have something like "a product of Colgate" or some other indication of the parent company on the label, somewhere).

Additionally, when every single brand that isn't a local mom and pop (and hell, even some that are) is owned by one of four or five larger companies, and when those companies operate in pretty much, if not exactly, the same way, you are being forced to buy their products if you aren't lucky enough to have access to a local, non-affiliated supplier of a given item, and when they own everything down to the apple cider vinegar, it's pretty much results in you either buying it from them or you starve (yes, it's possible to "simply go without" a given food product, but that becomes less and less feasible as that list gets longer), and the ability to voluntarily choose whether or not to enter a transaction with a given company also goes out the window.

As Uncle Ben said, in what is probably the most cliched quote of all time, "with great power comes great responsibility." Regardless of legal forces, when you're one of less than half a dozen companies that controls pretty much the entire food supply, you should hold yourself to higher moral/ethical/quality standards.

Ignorance of which company owns what other company is not fraud on their part. It is lack of diligence on the other peoples part. Saying that they SHOULD do this, or SHOULDN'T do that, is irrelevant to the matter at hand. We are talking principles, not opinion. Would companies volunteering certain information be appreciated by many? Maybe. And guess what, if it were, you can bet they'd do it. Because profits. And if they don't, it's because they feel they would profit more by not.

As for being "stuck" in a place you can't choose? I would simply say that that is not a valid reason to void other peoples rights and property. Which is what the implication is. See, since some folks have limited options, we have to put a gun to the head of the providers of the few options they do have and make them offer MORE choices. This does not fly on any moral level. People are sometimes in tough situations and that is a terrible thing. Those tough situations, however, are not a blank check to use the force of government to screw others out of what they have to ease your suffering. If you're homeless, you are not being forced to starve, except by laws of physics, scarcity and economics. Good luck prosecuting those things.

So yeah, we all have ideals about how others should behave. But in the end, you only have a right to your life and to your property. Not to others lives or their property.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So yeah, we all have ideals about how others should behave. But in the end, you only have a right to your life and to your property. Not to others lives or their property.
    I started to jump in with a comment - but then realized that Strychnine's comment (only excerpted here) already covered anything I had to add.

So I'll just say... I agree with Strychnine7.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    And..... the above discussion sums up why corporations aren't held accountable for harming health or misleading customers. Because we don't think they should be held accountable (speaking for some of us). Anything goes when it's to earn a buck. The right to earn profits trumps the responsibility of providing safe products, that are adequately labelled and do what it's supposed to do.

I'm very much Libertarian minded. I don't think it's the job of government to protect us and micromanage our lives. BUT corporations that harm people or misrepresent their products should also not be protected by the governments that WE ELECT and support with our tax dollars.

Remember the melamine poisoning of infant formula in China and how China dealt with the people responsible? Well, that's what should happen over here too. Instead you and me are expendible and corporate profits are protected.
  • strychnine7
    Options
    And..... the above discussion sums up why corporations aren't held accountable for harming health or misleading customers. Because we don't think they should be held accountable (speaking for some of us). Anything goes when it's to earn a buck. The right to earn profits trumps the responsibility of providing safe products, that are adequately labelled and do what it's supposed to do.

I'm very much Libertarian minded. I don't think it's the job of government to protect us and micromanage our lives. BUT corporations that harm people or misrepresent their products should also not be protected by the governments that WE ELECT and support with our tax dollars.

Remember the melamine poisoning of infant formula in China and how China dealt with the people responsible? Well, that's what should happen over here too. Instead you and me are expendible and corporate profits are protected.

You misunderstand me. I think it's a damn shame that people don't pay attention. But they only don't pay attention because they assume that government is getting their back. Well, government does not, has not, and will not ever, get anyones back except their own (and their benefactors). In a free society, that is to say one where there was no FDA, independent companies would exist to keep an eye out on things. Think Consumer Reports for food manufacturers. And people wouldn't just assume that since something is on the shelf then it must be ok. Now if something is on the shelf, people think it must be ok otherwise government would have straight up outlawed it. Rarely is that the case.

As for governments regulating corporations... Well, that's a ridiculous notion. As I pointed out earlier, there are 12,000 lobbyists in Washington. You can bet that the politicians know where their bread is buttered.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm very much Libertarian minded.
    Sorry, but it has to be said...

f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44de4eb56039994a47f00d296b.jpg
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It really bothers me when people say that corporations are inherently evil. In fact, most of the things we are talking about (GMO, additives, flavorings) were all developed to solve real world problems (distribution, shelf life, etc.). Yes, most of it is crap food, but it is what the consumer demands. The information is there to allow the consumer to know what they are eating. If it isn't, then the consumers have the right to ask or to avoid the product outright. It is called personal accountability.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Personal accountability is all well and good, but how about when government limits our choices to what we see as healthy? I'm thinking of all who have to buy raw milk illegally, not to mention the state with a ridiculous law that would make it illegal for a cow owner to drink raw milk from his own cow?

In this case it's Big Dairy colluding with government to limit choice and "risk" and, as a by-product, drive the small, organic farmers out of business.

Our family can't digest pasteurized milk -- pasteurization destroys the enzyme in the milk that allows us to digest the milk protein. I finally gave up on raw milk because it's just too hard to get.

So Big Dairy didn't gain us as a customer... they just drove us to making our own nut and coconut milk.
  • strychnine7
    Options
    Personal accountability is all well and good, but how about when government limits our choices to what we see as healthy? I'm thinking of all who have to buy raw milk illegally, not to mention the state with a ridiculous law that would make it illegal for a cow owner to drink raw milk from his own cow?

In this case it's Big Dairy colluding with government to limit choice and "risk" and, as a by-product, drive the small, organic farmers out of business.

Our family can't digest pasteurized milk -- pasteurization destroys the enzyme in the milk that allows us to digest the milk protein. I finally gave up on raw milk because it's just too hard to get.

So Big Dairy didn't gain us as a customer... they just drove us to making our own nut and coconut milk.

Big dairy didn't limit any choices. Government outlawed something that should never have been outlawed. Yeah, big corporations who use the club of government to get what they want, are scumbags. But they would never be able to do that if government didn't exist. Or, if governments at least weren't tacitly given permission, by people, to regulate the (specific) market in question (the food market, in this case).
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that Big Dairy' s lobbying efforts ($$$) were a big part of it.
  • strychnine7
    Options
    It's my understanding that Big Dairy' s lobbying efforts ($$$) were a big part of it.

That's kinda what I just addressed.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I'm very much Libertarian minded.
    Sorry, but it has to be said...

Since when do I keep using that word? Um, yes, I'm pretty sure I know what it means. I don't believe in Government interference in my life. I do not expect government to protect me. I don't see a need for government to run all aspects of our lives. But I also don't want governments to protect corporations from being held responsible for their actions.

Seriously?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

You misunderstand me. I think it's a damn shame that people don't pay attention. But they only don't pay attention because they assume that government is getting their back. Well, government does not, has not, and will not ever, get anyones back except their own (and their benefactors). In a free society, that is to say one where there was no FDA, independent companies would exist to keep an eye out on things. Think Consumer Reports for food manufacturers. And people wouldn't just assume that since something is on the shelf then it must be ok. Now if something is on the shelf, people think it must be ok otherwise government would have straight up outlawed it. Rarely is that the case.

As for governments regulating corporations... Well, that's a ridiculous notion. As I pointed out earlier, there are 12,000 lobbyists in Washington. You can bet that the politicians know where their bread is buttered.

I completely agree that you are pointing out the current reality and that nothing is going to change it. Personal responsibility is everything. However, it's still useful to point out the things that are wrong in our society and refuse to turn a blind eye and just accept it. The only real power we have is to vote with our dollars and most people will whine and complain but still buy whatever they want in the moment.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    It really bothers me when people say that corporations are inherently evil. In fact, most of the things we are talking about (GMO, additives, flavorings) were all developed to solve real world problems (distribution, shelf life, etc.). Yes, most of it is crap food, but it is what the consumer demands. The information is there to allow the consumer to know what they are eating. If it isn't, then the consumers have the right to ask or to avoid the product outright. It is called personal accountability.

I don't think anyone has said that corporations are inherently evil, but rather that they exist for one reason - to make money - and that the American corporate ladder favors a particular type of person reaching the CEO/board level, especially when it comes to large conglomerates. The person can be "evil" (or at the very least, lack certain scruples), and, therefore, steer the company in a bad for consumers (and public health/safety), but good for profits, direction. (See also: Phillip Morris.)

An unfortunate side effect of a free market economy in the real world is that a given industry, especially if it had high barriers to entry or very limited resources, is pretty much destined to become a monopoly. Government tries to pass laws to keep that from happening, but you still end up with oligopolies consisting of the handful of remaining players. The computer industry is a prime example of this, where you only have AMD/ATI and nVidia/Intel for desktop computer processors and graphics chipsets, because of the high barriers to entry, patent minefield, and very limited supply of highly skilled knowledge workers, and I'm rather certain that the only thing keeping the two companies from merging is the anti-monopoly laws (the same laws that busted them for colluding to raise graphics card prices for years).

This happens because only one company have the best people, and once those best people come up with something that provides an advantage over the other company, you start reaching a tipping point where the competitor can no longer keep up (because it takes more money to come up with a counter solution, and the competitor is losing market share to the other), thus falling farther and farther behind. One by one, the competitors fall or get bought, until only the minimum (allowed by law) is left (if possible, though sometimes full monopolies still arise - utilities, state liquor stores in some states, the MPAA, etc).

As far as this monopoly effect, it doesn't make a free market inherently evil (just flawed), but it is pretty easy to see how such a situation can corner consumers if the company leadership takes the company down a shady path. And, unfortunately, you don't need a full monopoly to run into the same issue. Duopolies (like the ATI/nVidia one) and oligopolies (usually 3 companies, sometimes as many as six) can control the entire industry - or at least enough of the industry to make finding the alternatives extraordinarily difficult, or even impossible in some areas and some industries). You can see this with cable companies, cellular phone carriers, video game console makers, and a host of other groups.

Inevitably, of course, you end up with companies that are large enough to influence the lawmakers of the country. Many times, that influence is pretty solely in the best interest of maintaining the status quo, which, of course, favors the existing members of the oligopoly, and further increases the barriers to entry for any new competitors (such as the law that car manufacturers have to sell to dealerships and can't sell directly to consumers, which kills alternative and arguably superior sales models such as the direct-to-consumer model that Tesla wants to do). Sometimes, that influence does favor the consumer (such as some of the corporations involved in the Net Neutrality dispute, or Amazon's, Netflix's, and Google's fight against the cable companies). These are prime examples not only of various aspects of game theory in play, but also the fact that companies aren't inherently evil, but can swing either way on various matters or overall, but either way, you end up with extraordinarily powerful entities, and when their leadership cause them to swing toward the dark side, it's very bad for consumers.

And yes, for a lot of things, you can simply "go without." You don't need cable TV. You don't need streaming videos. But what happens when it becomes your food supply chain that is 90% controlled by the large oligopoly, who clearly don't have the consumer in mind? Even disregarding what laws should or shouldn't be in place, the fact still stands that if you're not fortunate enough to live in farm country, you're left with two options - buy from the big companies whom you morally oppose, or source your food from farther away (which may then use other not-so-great companies, and the act of sourcing from that far away negates the ecological reasons for sourcing locally). Hunting is largely out of the question, because you can only hunt during certain times of the year, and you generally can't get enough tags to get enough meat to be your sole source of food for the entire year, even if you catch your limit in every season available to you. So, the best you can do is supplement, but that still leaves you with the above two options for the rest of your food.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It seems like we're in a circular argument. It is the government that allows certain things to happen and prevents others. Those decisions are driven by the dollars coming from the lobby, which is funded by the companies we choose to buy our food from. It really only stops being circular when you A) stop buying their crap and B) don't vote for the asshats that pass bad consumer laws.

As for sources, most people live within an hour of a farm (even if you live in a huge city - http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html). And many local farms do delivery to the metro areas they are close to. Or you can always order via the Internet. Not optimal, it costs more, but your dollars don't go to the companies you don't want to do business with.

Everyone has a choice. They just have to be willing to make the commitment.