Super Bowl Sunday

Options
mulecanter
mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
For our American membership this Sunday is the Super Bowl for the National Football League and it's like a national holiday. :drinker: That means lots of Super Bowl parties with particularly decadent snacks like queso dip and chips, pizza, chili, fried anything and of course, lots of alcohol. This is a nightmare for those of us in MFP.

What's your strategy for getting to Monday unscathed?

Mine: minimal alcohol, defer to water or diet soda. Alcohol makes me feel thin and convinces me that fried mozzarella sticks and potato chips have no calories. I'll try to log a 1000 calorie workout before the festivities, that will give me a budget to use during the game. I'll eat dinner before the party. I'll include a protein shake as my "treat", it's filling and sane. A vegetable tray might help with the nibble factor.

Replies

• tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My plan is just to stick to proper portions. I think we're doing some sort of pizza/chips.. i'll forego the chips for pretzels or popcorn. max of 2 pizza slices. I'll end up in the "gym" in my basement to burn some of it off also. Just planning on keeping it light. I don't drink soda or alcohol anyway so just water for me!
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding the big party this year. The Tornado, my 5yr. old, doesn't leave me alone long enough to see any of the game, so I hate to go and eat the snacks if I'm not really present. I'll fix my own Super Bowl treats in moderation and try to catch the commercials. Best of luck to everyone else!!! Hope your team wins and remember me when you win the big Super Bowl pool!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat all the foodz and drink all the alcohol. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This Sunday will be business as usual for the non American non gridiron followers.

This past weekend was like the American 4th of July but did fine. None of the goodies appealed to me and I just had some fresh pineapple and strawberries and a tiny slice of pavlova.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I won't stick to a strict calorie count this Sunday. I'll definitely work out and may try to get in an extra long walk, too.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
  • cathy0536
    cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to live in the uk! :laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Read that a while back, very good piece. I am anal and weigh everything, I was used to it from working as a chef and portion control is money. :bigsmile:
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's the chili dip that gets me every time!!!! I am definitely getting a veggie tray and maybe some turkey sandwiches? :bigsmile:
  • TurboTam
    TurboTam Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    . Alcohol makes me feel thin and convinces me that fried mozzarella sticks and potato chips have no calories.

HAHAHA This is SO true. I have to avoid the alcohol because not only does this happen to me but I also think I can continue to eat anything and everything, hungry or not. I'll be doing a lot of cardio prior to the game.
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a no oil hummus recipe that is 97 calories per 1/3 cup, measured serving of chips to go with it, fruits, veggies and a bit of cheese.

To drink? Either water or Crystal Lite.

Go Broncos!!!!
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    That forum post is very true.

I read a post about weighing the peanut butter jar and then taring it and removing contents until the weight for a serving is reached. It did that last night with cheese dip and it allowed me to eat only ONE portion!! I was so proud as I have never been able to eat a single serving of cheese spread or cheese ball dips. :drinker: :drinker:
  • kimjutjor
    kimjutjor Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Due to bad weather and roads, I could not attend my planned Super Bowl outing and thus I was homebound and bored but at least I ate extremely well and drank all my water. So that was at least a benefit to my ruined plans. Everybody that did indulge, let's get back on track to healthy living.