Fun Keto "cheats"

Options
afalewyn
afalewyn Posts: 23 Member
I've been looking for ways to "cheat" here and there without really cheating at all. These are some of my ideas/tips for treats and troubleshooting, please add your own!

*Remember, everything in moderation*

Chocolate - A lot of you already know, but it's safe to nibble on some very dark chocolate. I buy 90% Cocao
Ketchup (I just can't get enough) - purchase Reduced Sugar, it tastes the same and has 1g of carb per serving
Sweet Dessert - Try sugar free jello with whipped heavy cream (or whipped coconut milk)
Noodles - Most of you know about the low carb Shirataki Noodles (usually found in the vegetarian section)
Rice - just google instructions on how to make Riced Cauliflower!
Want something fried? - purchase or make Almond Flour
Chicken Tenders - I saw a yummy looking recipe that used crushed pork rinds and parmesan as the breading
Pizza - Using chicken as the "dough" is very popular (search for chicken crust pizza)
Chips - Kale chips! The lower the temperature, the crispier they will become without burning
Mashed Potatoes - Mashed cauliflower (even better with cheese)
Hashbrowns - I've read turnips and parsnips being used, but the carbs here are still up there, use wisely
Fries - I've read daikon and tofu can be good fries, but also watch the carbs!

A few more things! If you need more fat without the protein, use more butter, olive oil or coconut oil. Broth can give you more salt without other calories (maybe 1g carb). And for good sources of potassium, saute some mushrooms or for a lower cal/carb option brew some tea (I drink chamomile but there are many good sources of potassium in other teas).

Replies

• blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Those are some good ideas. :)

Trader Joes sells a fantastic low carb milk chocolate that I love, tastes almost like dove chocolate, and having one serving a day doesn't seem to have any effect on my ketone levels.
    For pizza, I found a recipe with flax crust that works just fine for me - the flax is so high in fiber that it doesn't count as too many carbs.
  • afalewyn
    afalewyn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That sounds good, I love using flax
  • blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I got the recipe from "The Gluten Free Low Carber" cookbook on amazon, but the author offers most of her recipes for free on her website. The one for flax seed pizza is here: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/09/low-carb-gluten-free-pizza-crust-2.html
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Cream Cheese Creps

2 oz Cream Cheese
    2 Eggs
    ½ tsp Cinnamon
    1 pkt Stevia

Warm the cream cheese so that it's mixable, combine all ingredients (I used a blender), and use like normal pancake batter. Top with sugar free syrup or ground xylitol. They will be thin and tear easily but have a good flavor!
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I make pizza with roasted eggplant slices as my "crust". Since eggplant, particularly when brushed with olive oil, is quite moist, it doesn't take much pizza sauce at all, which saves on some carbs. Pepperoni is an obvious and easy topping - one most of us probably have on hand - but its also excellent with some ground italian sausage - so much flavor!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I make pizza with roasted eggplant slices as my "crust". Since eggplant, particularly when brushed with olive oil, is quite moist, it doesn't take much pizza sauce at all, which saves on some carbs. Pepperoni is an obvious and easy topping - one most of us probably have on hand - but its also excellent with some ground italian sausage - so much flavor!
    this sounds great! How thick to you cut the eggplant?
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    Sorry, just seeing this. Maybe a 1/3-1/2 of an inch? You can go thinner if you prefer - the peel and the center between the seeds tend to crisp up first. I usually just roast long enough so both sides have that roasty golden cooked "film", for lack of a better word. I use very little olive oil. Just enough to keep it from sticking, otherwise its a little soggy. Still delicious though! They don't really stand up to being picked up like regular pizza slices. You have to be that dork, eating your pizza with a knife and fork :)

In case you've never cooked eggplant, you have to salt and weep it before cooking (the longer it weeps, the better it crisps). I usually cook mine at 375 (I don't know if it matters but I have one of those smaller apartment-sized ovens), starting off at 12 mins per side. Then I flip them roughly every 5 min until they look how I want them. I just wing it!

Once the eggplant is roasty and the sauce/cheese/toppings are on, I put it under the broiler for a couple minutes until the cheese just starts to brown.

I use the same technique, just thinner slices, to make "chips." They aren't the best substitute for potatoes/corn but they will bring dip to my mouth, so they get the job done! Zucchini works well in this application too.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hashbrowns from celery root, which I believe is lower carb than the other options listed.

Unsweetened chocolate almond milk with your choice of sweetener, tastes as good as Yoohoo! in my opinion. And I love that stuff.

I sometimes take low carb wraps and top them with butter, Splenda, and cinnamon before popping them in the oven to crisp up a bit. Absolutely delicious.

There's also chocolate avocado pudding, if you can find yourself a recipe that uses the ingredients you prefer.

There are cream cheese pancakes topped with sugar free syrup, and keto waffles (if you crisp them up nicely, it'll make them better!)

Almond bun with sugar free cream cheese frosting ontop.

Sugar free whipped cream is delicious, and goes nicely on sugar free jello (so low calorie!)
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bump