Do you use a HRM??

Options
giggalz
giggalz Posts: 54 Member
I'm curious if others wear a hrm during their workouts and plug that info into their MFP app...I read a post about the difference between what their hrm said and bodymedia. others had commented saying the hrm wasnt necessary as the bodymedia was more accurate..I've never really heard this so it really made me confused and curious

Replies

• lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM and plug that info into MFP but only cuz I use the HRM info as a gauge to how hard I worked out. I suppose if you had the Link then you'd know easily what you burned during the workout but I just have the Advantage (or whatever the plain jane one is called). If you have BMF and MFP linked then the BMF adjustment will take care of any differences in your actual burn -- my HRM always records a higher burn than my BMF does. However exercise equipment and MFP's exercise numbers are always quite a bit higher than my HRM numbers.
  • giggalz
    Options
    ha i was going to message you!

i plug mine into mfp..i had the hrm first before any other activity tracking device...i like getting that number of how hard i worked and putting it into mfp...i dont think that number gets transferred over to bodymedia though..unless i'm wrong? i do workout programs like right now i'm doing t25...every workout i do is at home in front of the tv..or walking..and i dont use hrm for walking...i just looked up a random day (okay so it was the last synced day as for whatever reason the device wont sync to my phone) but during a 53 minute workout BM said I burned 295 but my HRM said i burned 328

The whole HRM isnt needed just has thrown me now i'm so confused as to why the hrm is very wrong in comparison..i dont know
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you have a polar hrm, you can link it to your bodymedia account and the infor gets pulled into your dashboard. I don't know if it has any effect on BM's calorie calculation, though.
  • giggalz
    Options
    wait really?? i have a polar ft4

I was under the impression in the post that the hrm even linked with the bm would throw off the reading..that it was far more accurate without..
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I thought it was the Garmins that linked up to BMF. Either way..............linking your HRM to the BMF has absolutely no effect on the calorie calculation. They show different calories burned cuz they use different information (HRM just uses heart rate, BMF uses movement, perspiration, and one other - don't remember what it is) to calculate the calories.

Inputting your HRM info into MFP doesnt' throw off any calculations. Your BMF adjustment changes accordingly to any exercise you enter into MFP (be it your HR info or if you use MFP numbers). Say you had an BMF adjustment of 400 and then you entered in 200 cals worth of exercise -- you BMF adjustment would change to 200.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You're right, it is Garmin.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I also use a HRM for my workouts because I am a firm believer in "Zone" training and also want to track changes in my fitness level. I have compared the HRM to BM several times and they have always been close for me so I do not record the HRM data in MFP and just let the BM do its thing. Garmin is coming out with a new fitness band called the "Vivofit" which will take a HR chest strap input, the PR on it makes it look great so I have pre-ordered one. Since Garmin has linked with MFP and Polar is way behind in the tech field, I am hoping that the Garmin may link and I can maybe ditch the armband if they are close, but they will have to be real close 'cuse I love my BMF.
  • giggalz
    Options
    hmm i also have a polar loop so i was debating on getting a bluetooth sensor soon..

Yeah i knew that there was a garmin device or synced up to that..maybe i'll look up and see how much that is
  • giggalz
    Options
    I thought it was the Garmins that linked up to BMF. Either way..............linking your HRM to the BMF has absolutely no effect on the calorie calculation. They show different calories burned cuz they use different information (HRM just uses heart rate, BMF uses movement, perspiration, and one other - don't remember what it is) to calculate the calories.

Inputting your HRM info into MFP doesnt' throw off any calculations. Your BMF adjustment changes accordingly to any exercise you enter into MFP (be it your HR info or if you use MFP numbers). Say you had an BMF adjustment of 400 and then you entered in 200 cals worth of exercise -- you BMF adjustment would change to 200.

thats what i thought so using my hrm isnt such a "bad" thing as it was stated...
  • SJCon
    Options
    hmm i also have a polar loop so i was debating on getting a bluetooth sensor soon..

Yeah i knew that there was a garmin device or synced up to that..maybe i'll look up and see how much that is

Have a Loop also and have used an H7 chest strap to link with it, I have also tried the H^ but it is harder to get it to link for me. I have had issues with the second signal "Gymlink" on the H7. It seems to have problems with any gym equipment after the battery goes down even a little. If you don't use gym equipment this is not an issue. I do, which is why I am going to switch to the Garmin. The Garmin will be out in 5-8 weeks and costs $129. It is digital not LED so the battery lasts a year before needing replaced but you can't read it in the dark. The thing I am really disappointed in is the the Loop did not show total Activity including workouts unless you pair it and if you do you lose the visibility on your zones etc. You can wear two chest straps but YEACCCCH. There is a new HRM that is coming out that senses in your ear while you listen to your music. A lot of people hate chest straps.
  • GadgetGuy72
    GadgetGuy72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been using the BMF for well over a year and I love it.... That being said I recently purchased a Garmin hrm chest strap for working out. It enables me to check the intensity of my workout and adjust the level to reach the target zone I want. And to be honest, for years I have been doing what I thought was a good workout. Now when I work out I strive to keep my heart in the zone and I feel as though I'm getting a better workout. As for syncing with BMF, it only syncs for reference data. The hrm does not change the results shown by BMF. But because I use my hrm my burn on BMF is way higher due to the intensity. Anyways that's my two cents..... If you have any questions please feel free to message me or add me. Good luck to you all.
  • GadgetGuy72
    GadgetGuy72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    PS- I originally purchased the polar h7 chest strap but soon found out it wasn't very compatible with smart phone technology. After quite a struggle trying to get it to work I went to REI and picked up the Garmin one. It worked right out of the box with no fussing or linking or any of that stuff. And it was 10 dollars cheaper.
  • SJCon
    Options
    I have been using the BMF for well over a year and I love it.... That being said I recently purchased a Garmin hrm chest strap for working out. It enables me to check the intensity of my workout and adjust the level to reach the target zone I want. And to be honest, for years I have been doing what I thought was a good workout. Now when I work out I strive to keep my heart in the zone and I feel as though I'm getting a better workout. As for syncing with BMF, it only syncs for reference data. The hrm does not change the results shown by BMF. But because I use my hrm my burn on BMF is way higher due to the intensity. Anyways that's my two cents..... If you have any questions please feel free to message me or add me. Good luck to you all.

Like you I have found "Zone" training to be very effective and much more efficient. I use a Polar F60 and love it which is another reason I gave up the Loop and the H7 chest strap. I also like the training program the F60 gives me. I have found my BMF tracks the HRM well though so I do not enter any HR based data. Still going to use the Garmin Vivofit when it ships and will probably use Garmin Connect and a Garmin strap. I will kind of hate losing the F60 but will have it to fall back on.
  • SewSweets
    SewSweets Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Could you tell me what model of Garmin you use? I'm amazed at how much technology has changed in about 5 years (which is about how long it has been since I really was serious about getting fit :P )
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT60 to track my HR during my workouts. I'm really trying to improve my fitness level and BM, great though it is, doesn't really help with that.

I link BM to MFP, but the HRM isn't linked to either.